Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:32 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times

Advertisements

Informative article how and why Philadelphia lost the nations capital to Washington DC.

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2...to-washington/

"It’s a sad day for some historically minded Philadelphians: It’s the 225th anniversary of the congressional act that moved the nation’s capital from their city to Washington, D.C."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:21 PM

4,509 posts, read 4,045,228 times
Quote:
The Residence Act of July 16, 1790 put the nation’s capital in current-day Washington as part of plan to appease pro-slavery states who feared a northern capital as being too sympathetic to abolitionists.
Seems it would be racist to not move it back.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:32 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
I wonder what Philadelphia would be like today if it remained the nations capital and Washington DC basically didn't exist??

Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I wonder what Philadelphia would be like today if it remained the nations capital and Washington DC basically didn't exist??
I think it would rival Chicago in size at the least.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 AM

633 posts, read 640,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think it would rival Chicago in size at the least.
I would probably disagree. I think Philadelphia is already pretty dense as cities go. a good chunk of it is tightly packed rowhomes and there's not a lot of places to expand that aren't "up" within the city limits. Can't really expand east either, because then you're in new jersey.

If we had remained the nation's capital, we would probably be a lot LESS dense. Washington DC has a very large part of it dedicated to government buildings and national monuments, museums, etc that we simply don't have here. Incorporate them into the city and you'd have to push something out.

It's said that a big part of what kept philadelphia from competing with chicago and NYC was that ridiculous "gentleman's agreement" that prevented anyone from building anything higher than city hall until the late 1980s. Having the nation's capital buildings in the middle of the city would likely have the same effect on downtown, but be a lot harder to reverse.

All of that industry we currently have sprouting up since liberty 1 and 2 were built would end up relocating to suburbs like KOP, or worse across the river again into new jersey.

Maybe the surrounding suburbs would be less resistant to being absorbed by the city of philadelphia if it were the nation's capital to allow it to maintain it's population and industry by expanding city limits, but I don't really see it.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:44 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
OMG, New Jersey? Washington doesn't seem to have a problem with the Potomac.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:56 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
I would probably disagree. I think Philadelphia is already pretty dense as cities go. a good chunk of it is tightly packed rowhomes and there's not a lot of places to expand that aren't "up" within the city limits. Can't really expand east either, because then you're in new jersey.

If we had remained the nation's capital, we would probably be a lot LESS dense. Washington DC has a very large part of it dedicated to government buildings and national monuments, museums, etc that we simply don't have here. Incorporate them into the city and you'd have to push something out.

It's said that a big part of what kept philadelphia from competing with chicago and NYC was that ridiculous "gentleman's agreement" that prevented anyone from building anything higher than city hall until the late 1980s. Having the nation's capital buildings in the middle of the city would likely have the same effect on downtown, but be a lot harder to reverse.

All of that industry we currently have sprouting up since liberty 1 and 2 were built would end up relocating to suburbs like KOP, or worse across the river again into new jersey.

Maybe the surrounding suburbs would be less resistant to being absorbed by the city of philadelphia if it were the nation's capital to allow it to maintain it's population and industry by expanding city limits, but I don't really see it.
Or what if the capital were out toward Lancaster? If that were the case I would think the Philly area would have a massive footprint...basically half of Pa, De, South Jersey, and Northern Maryland.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Seems it would be racist to not move it back.
Strange how that worked out isnt it. Virgina had the loathsome instutution of slavery , Philadelphia had the capital. Virginia ends up with the capital and Philadelphia gets a slave memorial. Wow.

Leadership of Phialdelphia and Pennsylvania at the time needless to say had to be severely lacking.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Or what if the capital were out toward Lancaster? If that were the case I would think the Philly area would have a massive footprint...basically half of Pa, De, South Jersey, and Northern Maryland.

Washington and Lancaster would have basically flip flopped roles. Washington maybe a metro of 1 M today. Lancaster's 6 M population would have joined Philadelphia's 6 M population around Coatesville. Lancaster becomes the most important spot on the globe.

Last edited by rainrock; 07-20-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 07-20-2015, 10:18 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
When they say " location near Lancaster", aren't they talking about York, PA? Why not just say York? It's a similar size, and historical rival of Lancaster (white rose/red rose cities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia