Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 08:28 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times

Advertisements

As predicted, the Pope passes didn't sell out!
http://6abc.com/travel/lottery-winne...passes/907018/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:57 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Got mine today. And the station I wanted too.

Now, a different question.

I'm a cheesesteak lover but have never had one in Philly! I know you guys are particular about ordering in line. So I don't want to be the goober from out of town that holds up the line. How do I order the following?

Cheesesteak with white cheese and mushrooms only.

And.......
Where is the best place near Jefferson Station to get one?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:04 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Just go to the Reading Terminal Market. You do not have to order in any special way. the whole "wiz wit" is a Pats and Ginos thing and is mostly for tourists as locals usually don't go to Pats or Ginos. My favorite is Steve's Prince of Steaks in NE Philly but that's nowhere near Jefferson Station.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:08 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Just go to the Reading Terminal Market. You do not have to order in any special way. the whole "wiz wit" is a Pats and Ginos thing and is mostly for tourists as locals usually don't go to Pats or Ginos. My favorite is Steve's Prince of Steaks in NE Philly but that's nowhere near Jefferson Station.
Yeah. I've seen enough of Pats and Gino's to avoid them. Was told by a friend that lived in Philly for 7 years that he never even ate there once.

Is white cheese common? Not a big fan of "whiz" but if that's the way it's supposed to be done, I'll do it. I heard Dalessandro's is good. And it's near the Norristown TC where we will be getting on and off.

Edit. Never mind. Just looked at a map and it's nowhere near Norristown.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:14 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Got mine today. And the station I wanted too.

Now, a different question.

I'm a cheesesteak lover but have never had one in Philly! I know you guys are particular about ordering in line. So I don't want to be the goober from out of town that holds up the line. How do I order the following?

Cheesesteak with white cheese and mushrooms only.

And.......
Where is the best place near Jefferson Station to get one?
Reading Terminal Market which you can can easily access from that station. But will it be open? It's a huge tourist draw. No one knows yet what will be open and what won't be.

If I were you, I would think about coming back to the city another time when there won't be road or bridge closures and all attractions will be open: museums, restaurants, clubs, shopping, etc. You will never get a sense of what many of us like about the city surrounding this event. The Benjamin Franklin Parkway is a beautiful boulevard which pilgrims will get little sense of with the possibility of so many people.

Since I remember you said your family were devout Catholics there is another reason for you to come back here: two American saints were Philadelphians, Saint John Neuman(sp)and Saint Mother Katherine Drexel. Their shrines are in the Northern Liberties section of the city and Bensalem(right outside the city) respectively.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:19 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,768,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Sorry...
I just had to come back to say, "This is crazy," and ask is ALL THIS really necessary? REALLY?
Seems overboard to me, ESPECIALLY the bridge closure?
Can I ask why? because it's close to Independence Hall.
The Pope's other stuff is in the northeast and on the Parkway....
Does THAT much of the city need to be shut down?
It's crazy?

My boss let's us get hotel rooms when snow is bad....are all the businesses who want their employees to get to WORK that weekend going to get hotel rooms for employees....what hotel rooms they could find, that is.

And OMG...... the Eagles are hosting Dallas that weekend, too! That means ALL jersey fans will have to use the Walt Whitman, or Betsy Ross and take 95 south.

Wow.....
What?
Eagles is hosting where?

Ergh this is not a good combo. Not a good combo at all.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Yeah. I've seen enough of Pats and Gino's to avoid them. Was told by a friend that lived in Philly for 7 years that he never even ate there once.

Is white cheese common? Not a big fan of "whiz" but if that's the way it's supposed to be done, I'll do it. I heard Dalessandro's is good. And it's near the Norristown TC where we will be getting on and off.

Edit. Never mind. Just looked at a map and it's nowhere near Norristown.
When you say white cheese, do you mean square or American cheese? If so, yes, it's common. Either that or provolone and mushrooms are fine. We call them Mushroom Cheesesteaks.

Dalessandro's is still good. It's in the Roxborough neighborhood of Phila. It's actually not far from Manayunk which is where poster Becca lives.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
What?
Eagles is hosting where?

Mellon farmers, this will be a flustercluck in epic proportion.
The LINC. You know Lincoln Financial Field.

You'll be in Miami. Not a ..... for you, right?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:12 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Dalessandro's is still good. It's in the Roxborough neighborhood of Phila. It's actually not far from Manayunk which is where poster Becca lives.
I hate to say this, but I STILL haven't been to Dalessandro's yet! Everyone keeps telling me I should, but I just don't venture up the hill that often. One of these days!!

Oh and to the dude asking about cheesesteaks, you may also want to consider getting a roast pork sammich from Dinic's in Reading Terminal Market. IMO, waaaay better than a cheesesteak.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I hate to say this, but I STILL haven't been to Dalessandro's yet! Everyone keeps telling me I should, but I just don't venture up the hill that often. One of these days!!

Oh and to the dude asking about cheesesteaks, you may also want to consider getting a roast pork sammich from Dinic's in Reading Terminal Market. IMO, waaaay better than a cheesesteak.
I laughed so hard when I read this! It's just so typical! Philadelphians can stay so locked into their own neighborhood, habits,etc. You say not often... Shuts Lane is BEAR to walk up. So I get it. I really love Grace Kelly so, yeah, I have been outside the house where she grew up on Henry Ave which is not fair from where you are either.

Good advice about getting roast pork instead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia