Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:44 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I apologize. Now, I realize that it might be insensitive.
I think it just got to the point that it is frustrating enough that there is nothing to do about it but making a joke out of it.
But again I apologize.
The pterodactyl, swamp thing, and zombie lobbies will be up in arms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
I apologize. Now, I realize that it might be insensitive.
I think it just got to the point that it is frustrating enough that there is nothing to do about it but making a joke out of it.
But again I apologize.
I know you are just trying to make it all a little easier to deal with with some humor....and I know that you don't mean any illwill to anyone.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:32 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
Well, it is time for you to make friend with Chris Pratt.
Maybe he can lend you a hand taming those pterodactyles.
Rotflmao! Thanks for that laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
That Rizzo overkill was for the Bicentenial which ended up being not at all what it should have been. It's one reason why I couldn't stand him.

I understand your intent but here's what I would do instead: save your money and take a trip to Rome to Vatican City which is awesome. I'm not Catholic and not very religious any more but it was incredible. St Peter's, the Vatican Museum, the Sistine Chapel...

What Catholic HS did you go to?
I went to Cardinal O'Hara in Springfield. Class of 2013 baby!

I would love to take your suggestion! I have a deep-seeded interest in Roman history, so I would go to see the Pope and take in the history of that amazing city. Maybe I'll do it once I graduate college and move on to the young professional/Millennial lifestyle.

Rizzo was terrible from most accounts. I have heard that he was almost equivalent to a dictator with the way that he handled his police force. One thing that I do appreciate about him, however, was that he was able to be a cheerleader for the Commuter Tunnel. Because of him, we have the best commuter rail system in the US.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:07 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

I would love to take your suggestion! I have a deep-seeded interest in Roman history, so I would go to see the Pope and take in the history of that amazing city. Maybe I'll do it once I graduate college and move on to the young professional/Millennial lifestyle.

Rizzo was terrible from most accounts. I have heard that he was almost equivalent to a dictator with the way that he handled his police force. One thing that I do appreciate about him, however, was that he was able to be a cheerleader for the Commuter Tunnel. Because of him, we have the best commuter rail system in the US.
There was no middle ground wrt opinions about Rizzo. He was loathed and loved all at once depending upon the demographic you were in.

I didn't really like Rome, itself because,truthfully, there's not much left of the Forum but Vatican City was incredible. My favorite Italian cities are Milan, Venice and Florence in that order. I suppose you know that the Academy of Music is a pretty close copy of the la Scala opera house in Milan.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:38 PM

633 posts, read 640,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

FYI

Deep-seeded vs. deep-seated - Grammarist

Old 07-28-2015, 01:15 PM

633 posts, read 640,011 times
Here's an update, Ladies and Gentlemen. SEPTA is going the Lottery Route. Can a moderator update the thread title? Is that a thing here?

Quote:
SEPTA to hold lottery for Regional Rail passes during pope visit

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) --
SEPTA says it will hold a lottery for Regional Rail passes for the pope's visit to Philadelphia.

Online registration for the lottery will begin at 12:01 a.m. on Monday, August 3rd.

The lottery will run for 24 hours, ending at 11:59 p.m.

No matter what time you enter your lottery submission, everyone has the same chance for being selected, SEPTA says.

SEPTA offered these instructions on how to enter:

Any time on Monday, Aug. 3, click the "Enter Lottery" link that will be posted on SEPTA's homepage, SEPTA | Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority. This will take customers directly to the lottery form on Ticketleap's website with an entry form.
-Select travel dates - Saturday and/or Sunday, Sept. 26 and/or Sept. 27;

-Enter up to three preferred outlying Regional Rail Stations

-Pick travel time slot from outlying stations, either 5:30 a.m. -8:30 a.m. or 8:30 a.m.-noon

-Quantity of passes: Customers can request up to 10 each day. Customers with a valid PA Disability Transit ID Card or Medicare Card can request one

More details are currently being announced.

Watch the news conference it live on 6abc.com.

The first attempt to sell the passes on Monday, July 20th, resulted in the crash of their website.

SEPTA officials told Action News last week that they brought in outside contractors to help with the process and their site was tested for 1,700 hits per second.

They believe the site was receiving three times that amount of traffic after tickets went on sale.

SEPTA is selling a total of 350,000 passes for the weekend - 175,000 for both Saturday, September 26 and Sunday, September 27. The passes are $10.
http://6abc.com/travel/septa-to-hold...-visit/888752/

Old 07-28-2015, 01:16 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
You beat me to it! I think a Lottery is a good way to go!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:46 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Here's an update, Ladies and Gentlemen. SEPTA is going the Lottery Route. Can a moderator update the thread title? Is that a thing here?

http://6abc.com/travel/septa-to-hold...-visit/888752/
WOW!
Personally it is not fair for all the ones who want to attend.
How about those who are meek and disabled and unable to get the pass? How about the elders? Do they have to end up walking all the way? (Considering the security perimeter is the one being leaked).
And this makes it easier for those who want to make money to ensure that they will get money selling their passes.
Although to be honest if I were SEPTA, I would not know what to do either.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:57 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
WOW!
Personally it is not fair for all the ones who want to attend.
How about those who are meek and disabled and unable to get the pass? How about the elders? Do they have to end up walking all the way? (Considering the security perimeter is the one being leaked).
And this makes it easier for those who want to make money to ensure that they will get money selling their passes.
Although to be honest if I were SEPTA, I would not know what to do either.
I think a lottery system is much more fair. How they were doing it before, it would just be limited to whoever was able to get through the system and get the max amount of tickets at each station. People that can't get through the online system are blocked out due to the site not working etc. This way, everyone has a fair shot. If anything, this makes it more difficult for people to try to make money by scalping. If they put in for the max amount of tix via lottery, that doesn't mean they will get them. Maybe they'll get one or two but certainly not 20+. A lottery system is completely random and since there are such a limited amount of tickets compared to demand, I think this is the best way to go about selling the tickets.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There was no middle ground wrt opinions about Rizzo. He was loathed and loved all at once depending upon the demographic you were in.

I didn't really like Rome, itself because,truthfully, there's not much left of the Forum but Vatican City was incredible. My favorite Italian cities are Milan, Venice and Florence in that order. I suppose you know that the Academy of Music is a pretty close copy of the la Scala opera house in Milan.
I am interested in visiting all of those cities at some point! Milan is high up there because it is one of the only cities in Europe to have an actual skyline within the city limits. The only other European cities that have significant skylines are Frankfurt, Warsaw, and Moscow. Paris only has Tour de Montparnasse (which I went to the top of during my last trip to Paris), and all of its other skyscrapers are in La Defense. I wish I could have visited Venice while my aunt, who's a member of the Army, had orders to live there. I didn't get my passport until February of this year due to my trip to Paris this past March. And yes, I'm aware of the similarities between la Scala and the Academy of Music, which makes our Academy of Music truly world-class.

That makes sense. I heard that he was loved among the Italian community, but the Philadelphia media, racial minorities, and politically liberal people did not like him too much. I wasn't around for that time period, but I appreciate what he did to secure funding for the Commuter Tunnel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Thanks for this! When I'm away from college and not writing extensive research papers, I'll tend to make a grammatical mistake here and there. Thanks for pointing that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia