U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,533 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I, mid-20s female, just got a job in Horsham. I am looking for a place to live between downtown Philly and my work place. I don't want a long commute to work(30 min or less) and I am looking for a place where I can walk to bars, restaurants, coffee shops on weekdays and a short drive(train ride?) to the city on weekends

I am looking for a safe area, but would not like to spend more than $1300 on rent.

From reading around, it sounds like Manayunk is what I am looking for, but Google shows that it is a 30 min from my work place, and probably 45 mins during rush hour and that is too long of a commute to me!!

Chestnut Hill has a good commute to work, but it sounds like only older people, families live there and I am looking for more of a younger crowd.

Is there any other safe but fun neighborhood I should be looking into where I can do fun stuff on weekdays without too long of a commute to work?

Thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:31 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,269,996 times
Yeah it's likely more around 45min from Manayunk. Conshohocken may knock it down to closer to 30min. Other than that, maybe Jenkintown? It won't be as young as Manayunk, but it's got a cute little downtown area with stuff to do.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:32 AM

8,874 posts, read 11,971,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoCyij View Post
Hi all,

I, mid-20s female, just got a job in Horsham. I am looking for a place to live between downtown Philly and my work place. I don't want a long commute to work(30 min or less) and I am looking for a place where I can walk to bars, restaurants, coffee shops on weekdays and a short drive(train ride?) to the city on weekends

I am looking for a safe area, but would not like to spend more than $1300 on rent.

From reading around, it sounds like Manayunk is what I am looking for, but Google shows that it is a 30 min from my work place, and probably 45 mins during rush hour and that is too long of a commute to me!!

Chestnut Hill has a good commute to work, but it sounds like only older people, families live there and I am looking for more of a younger crowd.

Is there any other safe but fun neighborhood I should be looking into where I can do fun stuff on weekdays without too long of a commute to work?

Thank you!!!
Chestnut Hill isn't uniformly older people and families, but it's not a "younger crowd," either.

Conshy and Manayunk are your best bets (you may have to bite the bullet on that magic half-hour commute). Glenside is another possibility, but its activity level is more on the Chestnut Hill side (though parts skew younger by virtue of Arcadia).

Old 07-23-2015, 12:34 PM

221 posts, read 373,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoCyij View Post
Hi all,

Thank you!!!
One of my friends did that same commute for a while and she lived in Chestnut Hill within walking distance of Germantown Ave. I think it was usually right around 30 mins to work. Whenever we went to restaurants and bars in Chestnut Hill I would see plenty of people in their 20s/early 30s but I wouldn't describe it as a party scene by any means. There are a lot of nice places within walking distance though and it's not a far drive/cab/uber ride from Manayunk.

If you can deal with the extra 15 mins there and back I'd definitely recommend Manayunk though personally to be in the middle of the action.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:43 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,311,760 times
Conshy is probably best, but could also look into Ambler if you wanted a shorter commute. Also on train line into the city.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:55 PM

71 posts, read 111,175 times
Manayunk all the way. Personally there is no way I'd want to live in Chestnut Hill and certainly not Ambler if I was in my mid-20s, especially not if I was single and new to the city/looking to meet friends. Not at all. I am sure there are young people in both spots but Manayunk is much (much) more geared to a younger population and you'll have an easy ride into CC. CH and Ambler are lovely and I'd love to live in each but I am 30+, married and have a child. Now if you are not new to the city and already have a group of friends, etc. it might make sense to pick a spot closer to work to save your commute but I think in your mid 20s your social life counts for a lot.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:56 PM

69 posts, read 81,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Conshy and Manayunk are your best bets).
I agree with either Conshy or Manayunk.

Great nightlight in either and both are in driving distance of Horsham.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia