Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2015, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 790 times

Advertisements

I am working in Newark, DE and need help on where to stay. I am a African American 25 yr old professional female moving alone and obviously safety is very important. I have no desire to live in DE and looking to live in Philly ( I am used to living in urban areas). 1300 is my max for a one bedroom. I was told West, and South Philly would be better drives but Center City would be better for my demographics. Is 1300 affordable for these locations?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:47 AM

38 posts, read 39,713 times
Hi ashbash2015 - we are also planning a move to Philly, with my wife working in Newark (we're also city mice with no interest in living in DE).

We're mostly looking in South Philly - the proximity to 95 is clutch. I'm not sure of the rental market, but a quick trulia search finds a few places in your range in Pennsport...

Old 07-28-2015, 04:29 PM

72 posts, read 127,184 times
Demographically, I'd think a lot of neighborhoods in the CC area would be appealing. To narrow it down it would be helpful to know what else you are looking for in a neighborhood...nightlife, art/theater, etc. Your budget should be able to get you a 1 bdr in quite a few areas but the quality of the apartment will vary. Rittenhouse is an obvious option for any young professional but it is pricey and you would likely have a hard time finding a 1 bdr for $1300 and if you did find one it might be a complete dump, and that is before you deal with parking. If you like Rittenhouse but cant stretch your budget I'd definitely consider Graduate Hospital, which is just south of Rittenhouse. It has a lot of young professionals, close proximity to Rittenhouse, also has its own bar/restaurant scene, great access to the river and associated activities, and it would put you close to I-76. If you don't know the area just watch out for apartments being called Grad Hospital but that are south of Washington Ave. That is Point Breeze and its safety is debatable.

Unless you have a specific reason to live in West Philly I wouldn't necessarily recommend it over other neighborhoods. West Philly is super cool...once you get past all the students it is a great mix of people (not that the students aren't but as a young professional that's probably not your scene) and is generally quirky, eclectic, and artsy. There is also more greenery. It is a different scene though than Center City and I think most young professionals would generally prefer to live in CC.

South Philly does have decent 95 access but it also depends on where you are, and while Pennsport would be close to 95 it does not seem like a neighborhood that offers the same diversity as other areas of the city. My understanding is that historically it was predominantly working class Irish Catholic, and while I am sure it is changing (like many parts of the city are/have) you might want to go in person to see if its a place you'd want to live. North of Pennsport (closer to CC) is Queen Village and then Society Hill and then Old City. All are very nice and have lots of young professionals. Old City and Society Hill might be out of our budget but I would certainly think you'd be good to find a nice 1 bdr in Queen Village. There is a housing project in QV on 4th/5th St and Washington/Christian, but I have lived near there and would consider the area generally very safe.

Hope this is helpful! I'd say Grad Hospital would be my top pick!

Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbash2015 View Post
I am working in Newark, DE and need help on where to stay. I am a African American 25 yr old professional female moving alone and obviously safety is very important. I have no desire to live in DE and looking to live in Philly ( I am used to living in urban areas). 1300 is my max for a one bedroom. I was told West, and South Philly would be better drives but Center City would be better for my demographics. Is 1300 affordable for these locations?

Thank you!
I know that you mentioned driving, but do you plan on taking public transit at all? The Wilmington/Newark Line goes to Newark, but I understand that service south of Newark is very limited.

With that said, I think any Center City neighborhood would work for you socially. Neighborhoods in Greater Center City, such as Northern Liberties, Fishtown, and University City, would work well also. I'm black and I have never felt afraid or unsafe in any part of this city. You shouldn't have many problems here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTimmy View Post
Hi ashbash2015 - we are also planning a move to Philly, with my wife working in Newark (we're also city mice with no interest in living in DE).

We're mostly looking in South Philly - the proximity to 95 is clutch. I'm not sure of the rental market, but a quick trulia search finds a few places in your range in Pennsport...
In your case, I second the nomination for Queen Village! It's a beautiful neighborhood south of South Street, between Front and 5th Street with Washington Avenue as a southern boundary (correct me if I'm wrong). You would have I-95 access at Market Street, Callowhill Street, and Columbus Boulevard, depending on how far you would be willing to drive in each direction. In Queen Village, I-95 North can only be accessed via Columbus Boulevard unless you would be willing to make a drive up 5th Street until you hit Race Street. Society Hill would also fit your description, though it is in Center City instead of South Philly. My final recommendation would be Lower Moyamensing. There are several large parks over there, access to both I-95 and I-76, a short drive to the Sports Complex, parking isn't so bad there, and you have access to the Broad Street Line at Oregon Avenue. It's farther from Center City, however. It also isn't as diverse if that's a concern of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: