Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:31 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
That can depend on your tolerance level. In my house, we don't turn the A/C on until it gets into the mid-nineties and above, because I love sleeping in the fresh summer air and don't mind feeling a little warm sometimes. So in our house, we get away with only running the a/c oh, maybe two weeks out of the entire summer, having it on for 2-3 days at a stretch during the heatwaves. But other people are much more particular about the temperature in their homes and will run the a/c from April to October. I think that's silly, but that's just me. Like right now - "realfeel" temperature is 89, and it's perfectly comfortable in my house with the windows wide open and a couple of ceiling fans going. Other people might find it intolerable.
It's more than intolerable if one loathes high humidity which we never fail to get here during parts of the summer no matter what the temperature is.

I've never gotten used to it and I've lived in the Philly area all of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:35 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
#1 question. Do you have a job lined up before you move here? Retired? Own your own business? Jobs are hard to come by just as they are in areas all over the US. And not having a job can keep you from finding a decent place to live here. But if you are retired, or have a job that lets you live anywhere then no problem.

The area is not as pretty as most places in CA but there is a big difference in the type of people. People here can be loud and opinionated and may make fun of your bad parking job but when you need help they will give you the shirt off of their back. People, particularly in SoCal, are nice to you on the outside but would not take the time to pee on you if you were on fire.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:43 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,449 times
Like others have mentioned, the humidity is the absolute worst part of Philadelphia weather. The temps may not get all that high, but the humidity can be stifling. I have central air and my bill skyrockets in the summer because I hate humidity. Winters are usually pretty mild but can vary widely. Of the five I've been through here, '10-'11 was heavy at the beginning and almost nonexistent after Christmas, '11-'12 and '12-13' had barely a dusting of snow, '13-'14 was bad by Philadelphia standards but nothing compared to a bad New England winter, and this past winter was pretty mild overall as well. It gets cold, but it usually doesn't snow much. As for having a 4WD car, it would probably help but plenty of people (including myself) get by just fine without them. Learning how to drive properly in the snow is much more important than having a 4WD and driving like an incompetent idiot in a blizzard.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:15 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
The area is not as pretty as most places in CA but there is a big difference in the type of people. People here can be loud and opinionated and may make fun of your bad parking job but when you need help they will give you the shirt off of their back. People, particularly in SoCal, are nice to you on the outside but would not take the time to pee on you if you were on fire.
Your point about scenery is debatable. Certainly California has more dramatic and "natural wonder" type of scenery, but I think the lush greenery and rolling hills of the suburbs/countryside in the Philly area compare very favorably to the often-barren and VERY suburban-sprawly landscape found in much of CA. The immediate coastal cities of California are truly stunning, though.

As for the people, I would definitely agree that genuineness and but true neighborliness are common attributes of people in the Philly area.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-06-2015 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 12:32 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Your point about scenery is debatable. Certainly California has more dramatic and "natural wonder" type of scenery, but I think the lush greenery and rolling hills of the suburbs/countryside in the Philly area compare very favorably to the often-barren and VERY suburban-sprawly landscape found in much of CA. The immediate coastal cities of California are truly stunning, though.
Agree. I will take the Pa. countryside over Orange County,The Valley,Inland Empire,Fresno,Sac every day.

And Stone Harbor,Avalon,Cape May,Crest,Ocean City dont have the landscape of Santa Barbara but they are great beach towns nonetheless.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:42 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
As for the people, I would definitely agree that genuineness and but true neighborliness are common attributes of people in the Philly area.
I can attest to this. We moved here 4 and a half years ago from Houston. We have developed a much wider circle of friends in Philly in that time than I did during my 26 years in Texas. I think one contributing factor is that in Houston, everyone needs a car to go anywhere in the sprawling city, meaning there is not the sense of neighborhood and community I've found here in Philly. This, on its own, does not mean one city is better than the other. It does, however, mean that anyone who is worried about the friendliness of folks in Philly can put that concern (mis-perception?) to rest.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM

87 posts, read 104,446 times
The biggest difference between Philly and CA is the roadways. The highways here do not have the room for anything other than 3 lanes each way (6 total). Even the main artery, I-76, is only 2 lanes.

Same with city street roadways. There's only a few that has 3 lanes. Most are only 1 or 2 lanes each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia