Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2015, 03:34 PM

82 posts, read 82,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Unlike a blizzard, however, is the invaluable exposure and benefit we will achieve if we handle this opportunity successfully. This is especially significant, given opportunities of this magnitude only come around every generation or so.
So you’ve claimed. There’s not really any evidence for that though. As I mentioned before, it’s not like the previous Pope visit ushered in an era of prosperity for Philadelphia. And as I've indicated before, my issue isn't so much that the Pope is coming, it's how the visit is being handled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 03:36 PM

82 posts, read 82,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
This whole experience, really only online, not in real life in my experience, has been a nice reminder about that weird undercurrent in American society that seeks to personally ostracize people who question authority- even about the most mundane things such as transportation policy during a specific event.

Notice in this thread how often it's been said to just "get over it" and the like, and accusing people of being self-centered and dramatic, yet it's rarely been claimed that all of these measures being taken, specifically with public transportation, are actually intelligent, beneficial, or serve any purpose.

It's a bad plan.

It was a bad plan when they were going to shut down the BSL and MFL - and because of intelligent, questioning people pointing out how bad of a plan it was, and putting pressure on various agencies, SEPTA opened up the BSL and MFL. They specically said this was the case in their press release - due to "customers wishing to travel to work and other non-Francis Festival activitie" - as if people wouldn't want to travel to work or other events in the 5th largest city in the country. And it'll also help people get to see the Pope who want to see the Pope - by allowing them to take the subway there.

The regional rail plan is a bad plan too. The number still aren't out yet - but unless something heroic happened this weekend, the stunningly low number of people even choosing to bother with the 5th largest commuter railroad in the country will prove how bad of a plan it is.

But yeah, it's all about you being personally inconvenienced.
Very well said. Thank you.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:01 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Looks like you have an inside view. I suspect the tourist bureau is savvy enough to do what you say. If not, shame on them.
While the mills were closing, The city announced that they were trying to get into the tourist business & beseeched the public to be nice, helpful, & hospitable to tourists. Most boomers will go out of their way for tourists. I've walked a good many to their destination over the years.

I also know what the techs & reporters who I worked with over the years have said when returning from trips. The out of town reporters might have time for some public interest stories this week. Next year will be the mother-load.

It's just as easy for a POed reporter to do his/her stand-up in front of a pile of trash & a rowdy crowd as it is for a happy news crew to do the stand-up in front of the fountain at Logan Circle, if you know what I mean.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
So you’ve claimed. There’s not really any evidence for that though. As I mentioned before, it’s not like the previous Pope visit ushered in an era of prosperity for Philadelphia. And as I've indicated before, my issue isn't so much that the Pope is coming, it's how the visit is being handled.
Pilgrims for WMF are here or arriving so we are about to truly find out.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:53 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,257,715 times
If Most of the WORLD'S media and visitors. Stay just in CENTER CITY and UNIVERSITY CITY. The city may get GOOD REVIEWS internationally. Should for the most part....

But if they venture North and further south. From Center City. They can get the NEGATIVE to show.....

Sad that Many other areas of NY state the rest of Eastern PA Church Buses. Their Dioceses promoted last year. Many had to CANCEL BUSES near me. Mostly elderly wanting to attend.

They found out..... PARKING WOULD BE MILES from the Pope's route and Art Museum. THEY WERE LITERALLY TOLD. EXPECT TO WALK 4 MILES. I can't help but think..... some SPECIAL Accommodations for Church Buses to Park closer. Somewhere closer and shuttle buses?

The Dioceses released the sad news....
Bus Trip to Papal Mass » Syracuse Diocese

Earlier in the year they were planning for 8 Buses...

In the Scranton Diocese. Buses were cancelled that had so many elderly.

Such a tight city as Philly was a bit at a disadvantage. But any city would have it difficult to handle the 1-2 million people.

Last edited by steeps; 09-21-2015 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 08:16 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,452,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
If Most of the WORLD'S media and visitors. Stay just in CENTER CITY and UNIVERSITY CITY. The city may get GOOD REVIEWS internationally. Should for the most part....

But if they venture North and further south. From Center City. They can get the NEGATIVE to show.....
Lol.. stopped after this. Steeps... I was going to write something mean.. but I will just say keep your negative opinions to yourself.

I am excited the time is here. I will try to provide photos of my experience if I can.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Lol.. stopped after this. Steeps... I was going to write something mean.. but I will just say keep your negative opinions to yourself.

I am excited the time is here. I will try to provide photos of my experience if I can.
It was in the news by me last week. The thread topic is about the Pope's visit. Good the Bad and the Ugly. Is that not a negative? It was for them. Buses canceled...

It was a disappointment to those that planned for months.... Dioceses promoted buses. Then they got the BAD AND UGLY Officially. DID YOU NOT READ WHAT PHILLY TOLD THEM? The Syracuse Diocese PUBLISHED WHAT THEY WERE TOLD. READ IT. Do not blame me making anything up here.

It is truely Best for Philly if the International Media sticks to the good of Center City and University City.

Enough argued about and ask the OP what he/she means by BAD AND UGLY TOO? If this news Dioceses got on Busloads of Parishioners.... many were elderly.

I could have said yeah Philly will get still looked over more... and DC and NYC still get most of the coverage.... But i thought that would bring the heat.... not actual Truth in the news.

I am sure for those seeing the Pope and on his motorcade will be satisfied.....

Old 09-21-2015, 08:41 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,452,148 times
I don't know what that means, I was commenting on the fact that you doing your normal little jabs has nothing to do with this event.. done talking about it.

Anyway the fact the Pope is speaking to congress, the entire UN Council, and headlining the Catholic Churches largest modern festival makes this quite a trip. I wonder how people will react to him and his thoughts on inequality and social justice.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I don't know what that means, I was commenting on the fact that you doing your normal little jabs has nothing to do with this event.. done talking about it.

Anyway the fact the Pope is speaking to congress, the entire UN Council, and headlining the Catholic Churches largest modern festival makes this quite a trip. I wonder how people will react to him and his thoughts on inequality and social justice.
I addressed what was on Northeastern PA TV News media. I generally watch channel 16 news out of Scranton. It gives me my local news too. When i saw this thread under New Post. Sorry you see any negative in a thread MENTIONING "GOOD BAD and the UGLY". As don't dare give any??

I said nothing wrong. If you merely NEVER READ THE DIOSESE NEWS SIGHT... and merely saw in my post.... I hope the International News Media and visitors stick to Center City and University City. Not North or too far south.

No different then some saying.... hope they would stay away from some parts of South Chicago. Though it really does not look bad today. But its about crime.

If i said hope they don't venture into Camden NJ? Would you have not got Offended? Its another State they say? Not Philly.

Last edited by steeps; 09-21-2015 at 09:21 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 09:03 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post

Sad that Many other areas of NY state the rest of Eastern PA Church Buses. Their Dioceses promoted last year. Many had to CANCEL BUSES near me. Mostly elderly wanting to attend.

They found out..... PARKING WOULD BE MILES from the Pope's route and Art Museum. THEY WERE LITERALLY TOLD. EXPECT TO WALK 4 MILES. I can't help but think..... some SPECIAL Accommodations for Church Buses to Park closer. Somewhere closer and shuttle buses?

The Dioceses released the sad news....
Bus Trip to Papal Mass » Syracuse Diocese

Earlier in the year they were planning for 8 Buses...

In the Scranton Diocese. Buses were cancelled that had so many elderly.

Such a tight city as Philly was a bit at a disadvantage. But any city would have it difficult to handle the 1-2 million people.
It's too bad that they had to cancel. This is what happens when the secret service gets involved. It will be worse next year when the DNC comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia