U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
That could be a problem. The counties that surround Wayne are 0.03% Asian. People are generally very friendy and accomodating but meeting other Asian children is going to be a challenge.

Good luck
Are you sure 0.03% is the right number? Sounds a little low. According to that number, there's 150 Asian people per every 500,000 residents. That's too low. Maybe 3%. Regardless, I don't think you're adopted children will have a problem making friends or being accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
One trend I have seen even up my non-diverse way, is the upward trend of Asian families and adopted children from Asia. I'm wondering if adopted children don't show up with demographics because the parents are not Asian. When you do a census form, is there a place for each member of the families race? I can't remember. I think we actually have more Asian children then afro-american children in our schools right now and we are a very un-diverse school district. I just checked Shamona Creek Elementary School in Downingtown on the school matters website and while the district itself might not show diversity, that school has 4.7% Asian/Pacific Islanders.

Our school district just hosted a district orchestra festival with over 100 children and quite a few of them were Asian. In fact, the two that stayed with us were Asian. Funny thing though, my daughter is teaching in China but visiting us right now during her Chinese New Year break, and she said that in China, the kids do not normally play instruments at all. Here in the US, it's very steroptypical to think of Chinese kids excelling with string instruments. Just a funny little tidbit.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 AM

690 posts, read 2,769,449 times
Agree with rainrock and recommend the Exton-Downingtown-Chester Springs area. You can get a nice 4br house within your price range. You may be even to find a bargain on new construction.

Exton has pretty much all the retail you can imagine and Downingtown has a Wegmans. You will be close to major highways such as the PA Turnpike, Route 30 bypass and Route 202 which will take you pretty much anywhere. I don't think diversity will be a problem in the area. I see a good amount of younger asians and indians when i'm in the area.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,079,266 times
LOVE Wegmans so that is a great thing! Our family is originally from Rochester,NY where Wegman's originated from and we miss them !
Thanks again for all the great info. It is important to us to have that diversity factor but it also helps to know that there seems to be an adoption community, unlike where we are right now.
Please continue the suggestions... we do appreciate them.

I will do my own research,but how are the schools in the Exton-Downingtown area?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM

690 posts, read 2,769,449 times
The majority of the Exton-Downingtown-ChesterSprings area attends the Downingtown School District (currently on strike). D-town schools are very good and there are 2 high schools - East & west. I believe east is rated slightly higher.

Also some houses that have a downingtown address are actually part of the Coatesville school district which is supposedly pretty bad. So make sure you're potential home is in the downingtown school district.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:09 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Another area to look at might be Broomall/Newtown Square. It won't be far from Wayne at all & I believe there is some Asian population present in Marple Twp. Marple Newtown would be the high school.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:09 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Second that on Newtown Square/Broomall area...we went looking for houses last year and an entire block was all Asian families...it was really refreshing to see a quaint little block of something other than white people...according to wikipedia, Newtown Square is 2.3% Asian, Broomall, 7%...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or