Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 05:42 PM

311 posts, read 348,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

If I recall correctly, OP mentioned she had kids. I have kids, and I'd much prefer they go to Upper Dublin High School, rather than North Penn High School, mostly due to the size of North Penn.
Yes, we do have two kids not yet in elementary school so schools are a deciding factor. Ambler does look nice. Our house budget won't go as far there and it's a bit further from our family in the Lehigh Valley, but we are definitely considering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 10:01 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Not sure why you quoted me. I didn't say Lansdale was a wasteland, only that Ambler is a little nicer, which I still think it is.

If I recall correctly, OP mentioned she had kids. I have kids, and I'd much prefer they go to Upper Dublin High School, rather than North Penn High School, mostly due to the size of North Penn.
Sorry. I did not mean it that way.
I was quoting you as a way to continue the conversation. Sometimes it is easier for the readers to follow that way.
I do not think Lansdale is a wasteland at all because as I mentioned I always hopped down in Lansdale station to eat and work out after work. And I mentioned in my previous post that the only negative thing is the proximity to homeless shelter (nothing wrong with that except the homeless there seem to be drug addicts), methadone clinics and bad area of Norristown.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:02 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaPDX View Post
This is really helpful information, thank you. You just can't get this sort of detail from the chamber of commerce page!
That's true!
Well, I wish you the best!

Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,044,124 times
Where did you move from and why?
- Western PA / Orlando / India - for work

What do you prefer about the Philadelphia area?
Ruling out San Francisco because it's insanely over priced, Philly is uncontested for urban living let alone affordable urban living outside of NYC. The cultural amenities and things to do in the region make other cities look like villages. Philly has whole other major cities that are day trippable. It is a center point of america's mega region. Also the food is awesome.

What do you miss from your former home?
Western PA - Nothing
Orlando - Perpetual summer
India - Being not in the USA

Old 09-28-2015, 04:16 PM

204 posts, read 389,035 times
Quote:
Where did you move from and why?
Moved from Northern California for my wife's graduate school program in Philadelphia.

Quote:
What do you prefer about the Philadelphia area?
There are lots of things to love about the area! A lot have been touched on already, but here are some of our favorite things:

- Great urban environment with amazing accessibility, both physically (very walkable and easy to get into and out of Center City) and economically (it's affordable)
- History and old stuff everywhere, something you don't get as much of on the west coast
- Good food scene that does not break the bank
- Close to other major attractions and cities with multiple options for travel (rail, plane, car, bus)
- An airport with plenty of nonstop flights across the country
- Lots of nice towns around the suburbs, including many with historic downtowns, access to rail, and less sprawl of generic cookie-cutter homes than you get out west
- Being in a region that is starting to transform for the better is exciting
- Once again, affordability. We have a house in one of the best school districts in the state and still pay a fraction of what we would have back in California, or in NYC or DC.

Quote:
What do you miss from your former home?
- Family and friends are of course the number one thing you miss when you move, but that has little to do with the area.
- Natural scenery. Varied terrain and geography to be specific. The Mid-Atlantic has plenty of nice nature, but it is all kind of similar combinations of hills and deciduous forest. And not seeing any mountains on the horizon is still slightly unsettling to me, but I doubt that bothers most people.
- Dry summers (I actually don't think the winters are all the bad, snow is kind of fun).
- Some food, especially Mexican and Chinese, as well as cheap fresh produce is harder to find out here.
- There is still a lot of poverty and fewer good/high-paying jobs than in many other metro areas, but that seems to be slowly improving.
- Intangible cultural idiosyncrasies. I do miss the more relaxed and friendly attitudes that seem more prevalent out west. Plenty of people appreciate the blunt honesty of Philadelphians over fake politeness, but it still takes getting used to. Drivers especially seem much angrier here than anywhere else I have lived for whatever reason.

Overall my wife and I really like living out here. We might not stay forever, but that is just as much because of the distance to family as the area itself. Philadelphia can hold its own with just about any other city in America and has a lot to offer at a fraction of the price of many other comparable locations.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:13 PM

387 posts, read 356,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
1. I moved from Miami to be closer to my boyfriend who at that time worked in Manhattan. Now we both live in Philadelphia. Of course before moving here, I secured a job first (in the burb actually).

2. I live and prefer Center City. Now bear in mind, I do not have kids. I have no clue how the school system works in Philadelphia. So I can only give you opinions of other things than school.
Thanks for the response....You say you prefer Center City... I'm thinking about moving to Philly and would you recommend Center City (more than the rest of the city and surrounding suburbs) for a Single person with no kids?? I like being in an urban environment, so I've been honing in on Center City and the Fairmount area immediately north of Center City....

I'm relocating from Queens NY so even the most expensive parts of Philly will likely be cheaper..

Old 09-28-2015, 08:04 PM

204 posts, read 389,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Thanks for the response....You say you prefer Center City... I'm thinking about moving to Philly and would you recommend Center City (more than the rest of the city and surrounding suburbs) for a Single person with no kids?? I like being in an urban environment, so I've been honing in on Center City and the Fairmount area immediately north of Center City....

I'm relocating from Queens NY so even the most expensive parts of Philly will likely be cheaper..
Center City is a great option if you like urban living and are single (or if you're not single for that matter). Fairmount is great too. Single urbanites also tend to congregate in Grad Hospital, University City, and Northern Liberties, but they are slightly further out.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:47 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:

Immediately east of Fairmount is Spring Garden and immediately north of Spring Garden is Francisville. You might check those out as well.

Center City is a collection of neighborhoods: Rittenhouse, Washington Sq West(which includes the Gayborhood/Midtown Village/Jeff-land), Fitler and Logan Squares, Society Hill, and Old City.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:48 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Immediately east of Fairmount is Spring Garden and immediately north of Spring Garden is Francisville. You might check those out as well.

Center City is a collection of neighborhoods: Rittenhouse, Washington Sq West(which includes the Gayborhood/Midtown Village/Jeff-land), Fitler and Logan Squares, Society Hill, and Old City.
Oh, yes, I forgot; I'm single too.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:

FWIW (which I know ain't much), if I were a single person without kids, I would absolutely, without question, live in Center City. Most especially if I liked urban environments and were moving from NYC, as it will definitely be cheaper.

I don't know how old you are, but a relative who is in his early 30s recently moved to CC (Fitler Square) and he is absolutely loving it. He moved from Manhattan (I was dismayed -- how could he leave Manhattan???) but CC is great for him (he's also from the Philly area -- grew up in the burbs and lived in the vicinity for basically his whole life except for the few years he was living and working in NYC). And on the other hand, I know of a couple older couples/empty nesters who moved from the burbs into CC and are really liking that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia