Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 7,869 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I are considering relocating to Philadelphia, and we now have a large 100-lb black lab that I took in when my father passed away.

I've been doing hours of research and google-mapping neighborhoods and what I'm finding is that there is a LOT less grassy areas than in the city of Chicago, where we previously lived.

Am I searching the wrong neighborhoods? Where are there neighborhoods that have patches of grass!?!

What do all of you people do who have large dogs for their bathroom breaks? I easily take her to a park once per day to socialize, run, walk, etc., but what I'm most concerned about is the several times per day bathroom breaks that dogs need. No worries, we pick up after her.

Everyone says Northern Liberties, East Falls are dog friendly but when I google-map everything, all I see is concrete!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:12 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
East Falls (and West Germantown where I live) near the Wissahickon Park is very green. Closer to Ridge Ave is less green with mostly rowhomes but East Falls closer to Wissahickon Ave is a good suggestion as well as Wissahickon (the neighborhood) and Mount Airy. I have a dog and take him to the small Cloverly Park at the end of my block for quick walks and The Wissahickon Park about 2-3 blocks away for longer ones, where we often have the trail to ourselves.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0191...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-24-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
East Falls (and West Germantown where I live) near the Wissahickon Park is very green. Closer to Ridge is less green with mostly rowhomes but East Falls is a good suggestion as well as Wissahickon (the neighborhood) and Mount Airy. I have a dog and take him to the small Cloverly Park for quick walks and The Wissahickon Park for longer ones, where we often have the trails to ourself.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0184...7i13312!8i6656

thank you! I've read good and bad things about East Falls and West Germantown---great for dogs but not great for safety. Is what I'm reading biased?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodineapplesauce View Post
thank you! I've read good and bad things about East Falls and West Germantown---great for dogs but not great for safety. Is what I'm reading biased?
East Falls is generally very safe. West Germantown is too (and maybe I'm biased) but it can be very block by block so it depends on the exact street. Property crime can be an issue. East Germantown has beautiful parts that are safe too but has more problems with crime than the west side.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:28 PM

I am mostly worried about home burglaries as I dont want my furbabies getting out during the day! 2 cats + 1 dog would be a lot to worry about!! I am street smart while walking around -- lived in Chicago for over 7 years and spent some time in some shady areas. Just really dont want my house to get robbed while I'm at work and come home to find my pets are missing. Definitely want a 2nd floor apartment!

Old 09-25-2015, 05:40 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
East Falls is definitely a safe neighborhood, I have never heard anyone refer to it otherwise. I was actually just over there last night for dinner.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:13 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodineapplesauce View Post
Never heard East Falls referred to as dangerous - well known people like Ed Rendell and Arlen Specter could surely do better if that was the case.

Germantown has its spots that have crime problems - but generally parts near Wissahickon Avenue around Chelten and Queen Lane station are (closest to East Falls) are very nice, as well as the Tulpehocken Station area.

Keep going north to Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill and it's less spotty than Germantown.

Parts of West Philly to a lesser extent.

Northeast has plenty of grass too, but more modern housing and street layout that's probably not like what you're used to in Chicago.

The key to finding what you're looking for is looking further away from downtown - Northern Liberties and a lot of the gentrified neighborhoods you read about, are all extremely close to Center City, often far walking distance, and a more row home neighborhoods.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:56 AM

252 posts, read 233,972 times
And is living farther away from downtown okay with you? Yes farther away from downtown (30+ minutes by car) the NW neighborhoods like Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill are going to offer you more grass/yard for your dog. I'm not sure how that would work with your budget, though. At your age, are you okay with being in a more suburban feeling environment such as these neighborhoods or are you looking to be closer/in Center City where a lot of the action/vibrancy is? Perhaps you prefer more of a suburbs in the city feeling and if that's the case, by all means look for a place further out with grass. If you prefer this its a win/win and the point is moot but don't count out being closer to Center City if that's what you and your husband would really prefer. I don't want you to think you "can't" be here because of a dog in other words.

I see SO many dogs here in Center City and surrounding neighborhoods. It's like dog heaven here. My dog loves long walks through the city, walking to the dog park to run free and socialize with other dogs, and hanging out in the beautiful park grassy "squares" of the city. As far as grassy spots for the potty breaks in between...my dog just goes potty on the sidewalks. You could bring a water bottle to rinse off the sidewalk to be polite if you wish though it's probably not necessary. She goes number two in between parked cars on street. It's easy to pick up her poo though because she's raw fed so it doesn't get messy. I always pick up by the way as well. Thank you for doing the same!

Does your dog go on command? Would you be able okay with him/ her NOT having the grassy spots if he/she would go on the concrete? Maybe you're hesitant about this for whatever reason but it's really no big deal in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:10 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Old City dog owner here. Can't believe how many dogs there are in the hood.

There are a few off-leash areas on the river and tons of grassy squares where dogs congregate (just like Thomas Jefferson wanted).

It may not be everything there is a dog could ever want, but it's a great place for dogs.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
East Falls is definitely a safe neighborhood, I have never heard anyone refer to it otherwise. I was actually just over there last night for dinner.
Fiorino?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia