U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:07 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,338,217 times

Advertisements

It's the same thing I've been saying also! And I should know, I've lived here all my life (40+ yrs). Unless you LIVE here, you have NO CLUE what's really going on.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:15 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,393,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce65 View Post
It's the same thing I've been saying also! And I should know, I've lived here all my life (40+ yrs). Unless you LIVE here, you have NO CLUE what's really going on.
That's what I keep trying to get through to all the 'suburban,out-of-town,only-visiting type' yuppies.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's what I keep trying to get through to all the 'suburban,out-of-town,only-visiting type' yuppies.

Eventhough I live in the suburbs I know just about every inch of this city as my job requires it. Yes some parts of the city are so bombed out it defies explanation, but you can say the same thing about every older city east of the Mississippi.

I said it in my first post and I will say it again. 1/3 of Philly is world class, 1/3 is middle class, and 1/3 is in deep trouble. For every ghetto in North or West Philly I can answer you with a world class neighborhood like Chestnut Hill, Overbrook, Soceity Hill,East Falls, Andorra, University City, Rittenhouse, Fairmount, Mt Airy, Wynnefield heights, Spruce Hill. Solid working class hoods like NE,Manayunk,Roxborough, South Philly,Fishtown, N.Liberties.

I can say without a doubt that Philadelphia is the cultural, recreational, and entertainment core of the entire 6 million person metro. Fairmount Park is amazing, Forbidden Drive is something you should not be able to find in the 5th largest city in the usa.

I agree the city has seen better days but if you think Philadelphia is a nice couple blocks of culture surrounded by blight you are dead wrong.

The entire NW section of the city, probably 40 sq.miles is off the charts incredible.

I think its pretty pathetic you guys try to make the city out as a giant ghetto. Its, sad. Its sad and its wrong.If you can't make it in 2/3 of the city where there is a mid to high quality of living then I suggest you depart.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Eventhough I live in the suburbs I know just about every inch of this city as my job requires it.
I think its pretty pathetic you guys try to make the city out as a giant ghetto. Its, sad. Its sad and its wrong.If you can't make it in 2/3 of the city where there is a mid to high quality of living then I suggest you depart.
Note:Your Job requires it. Then you don't actually have to Live in these parts and have to deal with the day to day neighborhood politics.
As for us 'not being able to 'make it',well that just sounds like an insult in itself.That to which we've made no direct insults towards you.
An insinuation typical of the 'pseudo upper class',the kind that like to look down on those who aren't 'lucky' enough to have such a wonderful job as yourself.
But I can tell you this,as good as you folks think you are doing and how you think you will never have to live in 'those neighborhoods',every dog has his day and someday Everyone will be humbled. I speak from experience.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:13 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
I wasn't casting dispersions on anyone. I was merely pointing out that there are alot of oppurtunities to be happy living in Philadlephia and that there are alot of truly great neighborhoods to live in Philadelphia. You guys seem to be hellbent on making sure that outsiders view Philadelphia as this awful place because of your own personal experience, and that wrong.Thats why I am trying to produce a different side of your argument.

To the person that wants to produce some photos of the ghetto. You can visit any city on the east coast and spend weeks at a time taking photos of ghettoes, they are everywhere. Not every city has truly great neighborhoods like Philadelphia though.

Thats why you can't label the city as this god awfulhell hole. It has too much going on for that characterization. I don't live in Philadlephia, I don't have to defend it , I'm just trying to keep it fair.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 AM

Yes but you have to keep it real also. Not everyone can live in the 'better' areas,and we're not trying to scare anyone about anything. It's just our actual experiences with living in certain parts.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:58 AM

35 posts, read 62,880 times
The grass is always greener so its real easy to whine about your personal problems,but go out to Media, Chestnut Hill or Radnor and try spending $9000 a year on property taxes. Everyone has something to gripe about.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrinx2112 View Post
The grass is always greener so its real easy to whine about your personal problems,but go out to Media, Chestnut Hill or Radnor and try spending $9000 a year on property taxes. Everyone has something to gripe about.
Yes but out in those areas people's safety and property isn't in immediate danger.Plus it's their choice to live in the most expensive areas.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:08 PM

1,943 posts, read 7,906,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Eventhough I live in the suburbs I know just about every inch of this city as my job requires it. Yes some parts of the city are so bombed out it defies explanation, but you can say the same thing about every older city east of the Mississippi.

I said it in my first post and I will say it again. 1/3 of Philly is world class, 1/3 is middle class, and 1/3 is in deep trouble. For every ghetto in North or West Philly I can answer you with a world class neighborhood like Chestnut Hill, Overbrook, Soceity Hill,East Falls, Andorra, University City, Rittenhouse, Fairmount, Mt Airy, Wynnefield heights, Spruce Hill. Solid working class hoods like NE,Manayunk,Roxborough, South Philly,Fishtown, N.Liberties.

I can say without a doubt that Philadelphia is the cultural, recreational, and entertainment core of the entire 6 million person metro. Fairmount Park is amazing, Forbidden Drive is something you should not be able to find in the 5th largest city in the usa.

I agree the city has seen better days but if you think Philadelphia is a nice couple blocks of culture surrounded by blight you are dead wrong.

The entire NW section of the city, probably 40 sq.miles is off the charts incredible.

I believe myself to be working class, as I am a teacher and hubby is a mailman. We lived in the NE. That's where I found the dime bags on my lawn and deal with the young punks smoking right out back. I didn't live in the ghetto. It was coming into all neighborhoods. My car was stolen from the better part of the NE. Oh...and I forgot to mention when I was held up with other coworkers by about 5-6 people with shotguns...in a better part of the NE. This was NOT in the ghetto. Crime is running all over in Philly. Sure Philly has culture. I have left to find a spot where my kids can utilize the free public education that this fine country has, where I don't have to get hit by the end of a gun, or worry if my son is going to play around with the pretty pink bag full of white powder that he found on the front lawn and had enough common sense at 5 to bring it to momma...I will take a safe, calm enviornment over culture anyday.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:36 PM

Well said.
(Still don't know why this forum doesn't let you post anything under 20 letters)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or