U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 10:27 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,443,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I believe myself to be working class, as I am a teacher and hubby is a mailman. We lived in the NE. That's where I found the dime bags on my lawn and deal with the young punks smoking right out back. I didn't live in the ghetto. It was coming into all neighborhoods. My car was stolen from the better part of the NE. Oh...and I forgot to mention when I was held up with other coworkers by about 5-6 people with shotguns...in a better part of the NE. This was NOT in the ghetto. Crime is running all over in Philly. Sure Philly has culture. I have left to find a spot where my kids can utilize the free public education that this fine country has, where I don't have to get hit by the end of a gun, or worry if my son is going to play around with the pretty pink bag full of white powder that he found on the front lawn and had enough common sense at 5 to bring it to momma...I will take a safe, calm enviornment over culture anyday.
I don't blame you for taking your children to a safer environment. But understand that there are people like me who are willing to make Philadelphia a better place and it will take time but in the end the people who stayed will reap all of the benefits. It took a while and work still needs to be done but people in the city are truly beginning to understand what needs to be done to stop crime, rebuild the city,etc and we'll see how it all plays out within the next mayor election.Nothing stays the same forever and I believe Philly's bright days are upon us.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:05 AM

11 posts, read 59,586 times
Ok. I've been reading your posts both pro and con. I've lived in LA for 22years. Now my wife and I are planning on moving to Phila area. We visited Phila a week in July (during the heat wave) and another week in late October, 2006. We drove all over town and saw both amazingly beautiful architecture and pure crap. People seemed friendly enuf (relative to LA), traffic wasn't too bad (again relative to LA) and Fairmount Park was beautiful in spots but it seems no one picks up garbage. We're both in our early 40s with no kids. Need advice on Ft. Washington, Flourtown, Mt. Airy (East and West), Germantown, East Falls, Overbrook.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:01 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philco View Post
We're both in our early 40s with no kids. Need advice on Ft. Washington, Flourtown, Mt. Airy (East and West), Germantown, East Falls, Overbrook.
Scratch Germantown and East Mt airy off your list, too close to shady territory. Add Chestnut Hill incredible Philadelphia neighborhood.

Overbrook, west Mount Airy and East Falls are all very nice areas of the city( check out neighboring Manayunk as well). Center City hoods of Bella Vista,Queens Village,Fitler Square,Soceity HIll,Fairmount,Washington West are pricey but imo the best part of this entire metro.

Keep in mind if you live or work in the city there is a 4% wage tax. E.g., if you live in King of Prussia and work in Philadelphia you must pay a 4% tax on your wages. If you live in Philadelphia and work in King of Prussia you still pay a 4% wage tax to Philadelphia. Big reason why nearly everyone is moving to the suburbs to avoid that tax.

Suburbs- Ft. washington nice you can do much better.

Flourtown-Nice area

If you are looking at moving into this area its worth a look to check out the mainline towns that run west out of the city along rt. 30( Bryn Mawr, Narberth , Ardmore, Villanova, Haverford,Malvern, Gladwyne among others. This would be the Beverly HIlls of Pennsylvania. Where most of th elocal celebrities and professional athletes live.

West Chester, Exton, Chester Springs, Downingtown also come highly recommended although a bit further west, away from the city. Media Swarthmore, Nether Providence are awesome as well.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 AM

Rainrock, thanks for your comments. I'd heard the wage tax mentioned but didn't know what it was. I also appreciate your suggestions for other areas to check out.

Next question: The weather. From my research it seems Philadelphia's weather is not as bad (cold or hot) as I originally thought. Are the 4 seasons each about 3 months long or are the summers and winters longer than spring and fall?

Also, how is property tax calculated. In LA its simply 1% of your purchase price. I asked several people in Philadelphia and got several different answers, so I'm still confused.

Lastly, have you ever lived in another major US city, and if so, where and how would you compare/rate Philadelphia to it. Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:44 AM

39 posts, read 132,375 times
Exclamation good opportunities

I hope you do some research. Philadelphia and its surrounding areas are over populated crime riding and overly priced. Philadelphia area indeed has good opportunities but is it really worth your family’s safety and the high cost of living. The Philadelphia area housing market is almost toped off for the foreseen future the profitability will not increase. To be honest the Philadelphia area has many good opportunities but if your business savvy you can create opportunities anywhere even in a backwards or even backwoods town.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:24 PM

34 posts, read 153,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

I am a native Philadelphian, born and raised lived all my life here and I must say you have photographically captured the the city of brotherly love, right down the the "Zoo Balloon" in the background of one of your shots. Yes, we have crime, yes, there are many area not as pleasant as others, but we do have the best night life, great history, fine traditions, impressive museums, colleges and universities, good hearted people and let us not forget the food; the Italian Market, Reading Terminal, Pats and Ginos, Cheese Steaks wif or wif/out! And less than 70 miles east the incredible New Jersey Shore! As I get older I realize that Philadelphia is for the young set. It's a fast paced city with cutting edge technology. Although I am now looking for a place in North Carolina, I will always be proud of my Philadelphia roots. Yo, Philly we love ya'z ...!

Old 01-10-2007, 01:27 PM

PhilaForNow - LA has the same exact problems as Philly....high crime, super-overcrowded (10 million plus in LA county alone), and even higher housing costs...Yet I've happily lived in LA for over 20 years. I've learned to avoid the crappy areas and focus on the good. That's urban life. But now its time to move on.

My wife and I have no kids and are looking for advice on what people consider the good areas and the bad areas of Philly and its immediate suburbs (within 5-10 miles). Additionally, since our visits to Philly in July and October were brief, other than looking at the weather websites for average daily temperature information, I have no idea what the weather is like in Philly. I'd like some thoughts on what Winter and Spring are like (how long, #of snowstorms, etc).

Also, and I'm sure this will draw a wide variety of comments, I'd like some thoughts on the city government, particularly regarding taxing of residents. Thanks.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:15 PM

39 posts, read 132,375 times
Post Bala-Cynwyd in Montgomery county

Look into Bala-Cynwyd in Montgomery county some of the locals call it west Manayunk although it is not in Philadelphia. As for the city wage tax to work in the city and live out side 2.5 % 5% for resident I do not know but you can look it up at [url]http://www.phila.gov/[/url]

Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 PM

PhilaForNow: Thanks. I'll take a look.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:46 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
thanks joyce, you are right. the people who talk so much about it dont have to live with a city wage tax, murder, not in just the ghetto but right on our doorsteps here in Center city--i live here and it is dangerous and scary, no matter how much they try and gentrify the place and the public schools, i dont see any middle and upper middle class sending their kids to the public schools only the poor and working classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or