U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times

Advertisements

and philco, thats the problem avoiding the bad areas and the poor people because one is afraid or even worse, indifferent tot he plight of the poor and so it remains the same.

I love the urban libs and dems who love the city but avoid the problems and people of the city who suffer, stepping over and avoiding their eyes, so that one can go to their tofu haven and latte lounges and yoga smugness.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:25 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaForNow View Post
Philadelphia and its surrounding areas are over populated crime riding and overly priced. Philadelphia area indeed has good opportunities but is it really worth your family’s safety and the high cost of living.
Seriously you need to get out more or read more buckaroo.

Philadelphia area overpopulated. Compared to what Montana?

I need to get you out past Upper Darby+ Cheltenham. Out where 90% of the land area of this metro is. The safety numbers inside Philadlephia are not good. The crime numbers out in the burbs are just as low as anything you would see in suburban Seattle,Portland,Charlotte etc.. Chester and Bucks Counties open land policy is probably as as stringent as any counties in the usa. The southeastern half of Delaware County grew to capacity in the 20th century the western and northern half is still mostly estates on farmland.

Quote:
The Philadelphia area housing market is almost toped off for the foreseen future the profitability will not increase.
Philadelphia area real estate is among the most stable in the entire country. There was recently a study done where Philadelphia had a 9% chance of decreased housing values in the next year. Boston,SF,Miami,SD were all past 50%.

You don't get wild price swings here, this is an extremely stable area regarding employment and house values.

Come on lets try and keep it real.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:56 PM

10 posts, read 44,515 times
I am a native Philadelphian and now live in the beautiful suburbs of Chester County. I continue to work in the city (Penn) and consider moving back when my teenage kids finish high school. The problem, as I see it, is a VERY corrupt city government that refuses to make changes when needed. The murder rate, wherever it is occuring (a ghetto is someone's home) is outrageously high. If the Eagles were losing like this police force is, we'd be calling for a new coach. The mayor should have replaced Sylvester Johnson, the police commissioner long ago. Johnson may be a decent guy, but his effectiveness is long gone. The city needs to decrease poverty in order to increase public safety. Lower income residents should be able to enjoy their neighborhoods, the most celebrated part of Philadelphia. Folks like me wouldn't think twice about moving back if the city government was a respectable, capable institution. It is possible-look at NYC.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:12 AM

39 posts, read 132,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
I am a native Philadelphian and now live in the beautiful suburbs of Chester County. I continue to work in the city (Penn) and consider moving back when my teenage kids finish high school. The problem, as I see it, is a VERY corrupt city government that refuses to make changes when needed. The murder rate, wherever it is occuring (a ghetto is someone's home) is outrageously high. If the Eagles were losing like this police force is, we'd be calling for a new coach. The mayor should have replaced Sylvester Johnson, the police commissioner long ago. Johnson may be a decent guy, but his effectiveness is long gone. The city needs to decrease poverty in order to increase public safety. Lower income residents should be able to enjoy their neighborhoods, the most celebrated part of Philadelphia. Folks like me wouldn't think twice about moving back if the city government was a respectable, capable institution. It is possible-look at NYC.

Eleven years ago when I moved here I loved Philadelphia South street, Main street Manayunk The art Museum, I really love whats there now The Latin American Art Collections, The Pennsylvania Museum of fine arts, The Civil War Museum, and the Norman Rockwell Museum plus many more. But that charm was taking away by the corrupt city mayor. With his statement(((The brothers and sisters are running this city now)) His pay to play politics And the felling he just don’t give a dam about anything also the Murder rate EVEN ONE IS TO MANY

Last edited by PhilaForNow; 01-12-2007 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Yep, but people get what they vote for. poverty, lack of affordable housing, city wage tax like no other city, crime and murder up like mad.

we tried to change course with Sam Katz but because most of Philly is Democrat and so partisan that they would rather have bad government than a change in partys so they get what they ask for.

Mayor Street is the most pathetic mayor!!

And we dont have any choice in the next mayor, nothing new--I cant believe i will not be voting , i have no one to vote for.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Yep, but people get what they vote for. poverty, lack of affordable housing, city wage tax like no other city, crime and murder up like mad.

we tried to change course with Sam Katz but because most of Philly is Democrat and so partisan that they would rather have bad government than a change in partys so they get what they ask for.

Mayor Street is the most pathetic mayor!!

And we dont have any choice in the next mayor, nothing new--I cant believe i will not be voting , i have no one to vote for.
I voted for Sam Katz

Old 01-12-2007, 12:49 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,338,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaForNow View Post
I voted for Sam Katz
So did I. Now I'm looking into Tom Knox. He wants to do something about the drug problems that affect all of the city (not just the ghettos). I think if the city (police, government, neighbors) can get a handle on the drug-dealing and turf wars, we should see a decrease in theft and murder rates.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:43 PM

I did too and worked for him. I live in Center City and it is not a great city but not the worst either, only in our mayor and lack of motivation to make changes by many of the people.

Anyone read the book by Nancy French? it is called the catfish queen becomes the liberty belle. She used to write for the city paper and wrote the book about her experience living in CC. Its at Borders.

good things about Philadelphia?

1)Tenth Presbyterian
2)Chestnut Hill and the Wissahickon
3)some decent restaurants
4) Reading Terminal market
5) Rittenhouse square and Washington Square
6) great pubs to see English Premier League footie(soccer)
7) Phila Art Museum
8) Dadvail Regatta
9) Barnes Foundation collection
10) decent sushi restaurants adn Vietnamese

Old 01-14-2007, 02:00 PM

4,719 posts, read 8,564,012 times
About the public schools - There have to be a few good public schools in the district. Obviously, a lot of the schools are no good, but I heard Jenks ES in Chestnut Hill is considered to be good.

As for high schools, I heard Central, a magnet, is supposed to be good too. I don't live in Philly, though, so I don't know all of the details about all of the schools in the system.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:47 PM

Exclamation Central high school

Central high school the curriculum is more of a challenge for their students but it still not a safe place. There is higher percentage of student’s complete high school of them I believe sixty to seventy percent go on to college. But overall public compared Catholic or Privet threes no evaluation anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or