U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2007, 03:45 PM
 
4,719 posts, read 8,564,012 times
Reputation: 1841

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaForNow View Post
Central high school the curriculum is more of a challenge for their students but it still not a safe place. There is higher percentage of student’s complete high school of them I believe sixty to seventy percent go on to college. But overall public compared Catholic or Privet threes no evaluation anywhere.
If I was in Philly, I would send my kids to a private or (if possible) out of district public school, depending on the circumstances, if I could not get them admitted to a "good" Philly public school (based by location and acceptance notices or lack thereof)

Of course, if my kid wanted to become a good Christian (or another religion), I would gladly send him or her to a private school.

By the way, I attend a public school in Houston.

 
Old 01-15-2007, 09:05 AM
 
39 posts, read 132,375 times
Reputation: 20
Angry Two more innocent lives extinguished.

This is the reality of one of Philadelphia so-called best sections
Two more innocent lives extinguished.

A Disclaimer I never called any section of Philadelphia good

This is copied from the link below

Philadelphia police opened up an investigation after two dead infants were found inside a Germantown home. On Monday, the special victims unit was trying to figure out how the two babies died. They were found inside a house on the 1100 block of Hortter Street.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16634495/ (broken link)
 
Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 AM
 
19 posts, read 90,734 times
Reputation: 19
I have lived in N/e Philly for 35 years and this city is a cesspool
There is not one thing good about it If I was not on disability and on a fixed income I would have been gone a long time ago. I was out all day Sunday looking at home’s out side the city.
Homes are way over priced and the real-estate tax will kill you The average tax out side the city was around 7,800 a year and homes in the 5-600.000 price range They are getting around 160-170 just for a row home That’s is Nuts The city government is as corrupt as it can get and is on the way of going bankrupt. The police have all but giving up Had a drug deal in front of my house a few months ago called the police and they would not come out they ended up sending the fire dept out??? and than 5 hours later a cop come to my home and ask if I had a problem??? The cost of living here is very high
They tax every thing Hell if they could tax the air we breath they would , Crime is way out of control ,the people are a rude as you can get , and driving it’s every man for them self . they will run you over . traffic is really bad I have had times it took two hours just to go 10 miles
public transit is a big joke it is expensive miss managed , take a walk yea right if you like to get mugged Yea You think you might want to move here Try going to the city and try walking down 52 th st you will hoop the next plane out and even that will be a nightmare
the airport was voted as one of the dirtiest in the nation they all way lose luggage, planes always running late, sports teams will they speak for them self LOSSERS
In the summer the humpty is so bad you have to stay inside
I can not think of one good thing about this hell hole. Some one posted some pictures and it makes philly look nice so is Disney world BUT this is not Disney world and it does not look like this
Like I said having to be on a fixed income I fell trapped and no way out
 
Old 01-15-2007, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Finally escaped from Philly ;-}
1,182 posts, read 1,338,217 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I have lived in N/e Philly for 35 years and this city is a cesspool
There is not one thing good about it If I was not on disability and on a fixed income I would have been gone a long time ago. I was out all day Sunday looking at home’s out side the city.
Homes are way over priced and the real-estate tax will kill you The average tax out side the city was around 7,800 a year and homes in the 5-600.000 price range They are getting around 160-170 just for a row home That’s is Nuts The city government is as corrupt as it can get and is on the way of going bankrupt. The police have all but giving up Had a drug deal in front of my house a few months ago called the police and they would not come out they ended up sending the fire dept out??? and than 5 hours later a cop come to my home and ask if I had a problem??? The cost of living here is very high
They tax every thing Hell if they could tax the air we breath they would , Crime is way out of control ,the people are a rude as you can get , and driving it’s every man for them self . they will run you over . traffic is really bad I have had times it took two hours just to go 10 miles
public transit is a big joke it is expensive miss managed , take a walk yea right if you like to get mugged Yea You think you might want to move here Try going to the city and try walking down 52 th st you will hoop the next plane out and even that will be a nightmare
the airport was voted as one of the dirtiest in the nation they all way lose luggage, planes always running late, sports teams will they speak for them self LOSSERS
In the summer the humpty is so bad you have to stay inside
I can not think of one good thing about this hell hole. Some one posted some pictures and it makes philly look nice so is Disney world BUT this is not Disney world and it does not look like this
Like I said having to be on a fixed income I fell trapped and no way out
Amen to that! Welcome to Philly!!!
 
Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Reputation: 2635
Aren't we being a little overdramatic? Not one good thing about Philadelphia? What a childish and blatantly false statement. Are there parts of Philadelphia that are substandard? Absolutely. But please stop lying and using Philadlephia as the scapegoat of your personal unhappiness. Philadelphia has seen better days but it still has many many amazing sections of the city. If you aren't happy with your neighborhood then move.

Moderator cut: copyright

Other photos removed per poster's request






Saturday night's all right for Center City hotels



Suddenly Philly's 2d only to NYC in weekend occupancy and room rates.

By Tom Belden
Inquirer Staff Writer
How times have changed.

Center City hotels that used to offer two nights for the price of one to fill rooms on the weekend are posting some of their highest occupancy and room rates on Saturdays.

Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 02-03-2007 at 10:34 AM..
 
Old 01-15-2007, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Finally escaped from Philly ;-}
1,182 posts, read 1,338,217 times
Reputation: 284
I live in one of the better sections of Philly that everyone keeps touting as the hot place to be. Guess what? Crime is bad here also. True, no one has been murdered (yet!). But burglaries, muggings, destruction of personal property, and other "quality of life" crimes are on the increase. Over the past year, there was a rape right off of the famed "Main Street" and a stabbing 2 blocks from my house. But these crimes don't make the papers because that may scare away the tourists and the suburbanites that bought into the neighborhood. Heaven forbid the MDC and the Manayunk businesses lose any bucks. Anyway, Philly is a big place; so much more than center city and the immediate surrounding neighborhoods. You can't say that the most of the city is safe with only a few bad spots if the only info you're using to back up your claim is center city stats.
 
Old 01-15-2007, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Reputation: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce65 View Post
I live in one of the better sections of Philly that everyone keeps touting as the hot place to be. Guess what? Crime is bad here also. True, no one has been murdered (yet!). But burglaries, muggings, destruction of personal property, and other "quality of life" crimes are on the increase. Over the past year, there was a rape right off of the famed "Main Street" and a stabbing 2 blocks from my house. But these crimes don't make the papers because that may scare away the tourists and the suburbanites that bought into the neighborhood. Heaven forbid the MDC and the Manayunk businesses lose any bucks. Anyway, Philly is a big place; so much more than center city and the immediate surrounding neighborhoods. You can't say that the most of the city is safe with only a few bad spots if the only info you're using to back up your claim is center city stats.
You need to go live in Salt Lake City or Portland. Bottom line, You are in the wrong place and are never going to be happy on the east coast. There is going to be crime in the big cities of the east, that is our fate. 50 years ago, with the mass migration of the poor minorities settleing into the big cities the futures of Philadelphia,Bal,NYC,wash were sealed.

The only city that withstood the poor was Boston but if you are bitching about the high cost of living in Manayunk you certainly wouldn't be able to cut it in Boston.

In short instaed of bitching about all the problems Philadelphia has, either get off your duff and try to improve your neighborhood, or move.

Be a leader or be a follower. Don't be a malingerer.
 
Old 01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
 
19 posts, read 90,734 times
Reputation: 19
My God I do not know where to start Your pictures make philly it look like Disney World
The Schuylkill River NEVER looks that blue I know the trick with Photoshop It is so dirty brown and scummy Just saw it this morning and it never looks like that
We have a saying in Philly Never eat any fish out of the Schuylkill. river
Why is most business moving out The city wage tax is for one. The city corrupt
Parking authority is another story the PSFS building 85% empty one liberty and liberty two buildings are they full I don’t think so
And how about this
http://www.nbc10.com/index.html
2 babies found dead this morning
Night life in center city is down right down right unsafe. You talk about tourism on the rise Did you ever talk to any of them most will tell you NERVR AGAIN.
Just look at your picture of a snowy street That sums it up City does not have the money to clean it up look at the side walks why are people walking in the street Yea WHAT A HELL HOLE
I am being honest about Philly . I don’t paint a rosy picture. Any one right now today go thought the airport today and look at That big mess try driving the Schuylkill expressway what is that all about and then it the school system I had to pay and put my kids in private schools
The public schools are a toilet I may be on a fixed income but come hell or high water I am so out of here I have lived here for 35 year so please don’t paint a rosy picture of how good it is I am honest and know what I am talking about I could write a book of all what is NOT good in Philly and I can honesty say that I can not think of one good thing about Philly and after John Street is out of office just watch what they will do to your real-estate tax
 
Old 01-15-2007, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped from Philly ;-}
1,182 posts, read 1,338,217 times
Reputation: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
You need to go live in Salt Lake City or Portland. Bottom line, You are in the wrong place and are never going to be happy on the east coast. There is going to be crime in the big cities of the east, that is our fate. 50 years ago, with the mass migration of the poor minorities settleing into the big cities the futures of Philadelphia,Bal,NYC,wash were sealed.

The only city that withstood the poor was Boston but if you are bitching about the high cost of living in Manayunk you certainly wouldn't be able to cut it in Boston.

In short instaed of bitching about all the problems Philadelphia has, either get off your duff and try to improve your neighborhood, or move.

Be a leader or be a follower. Don't be a malingerer.
I did get off my duff and, at the urging of the townwatch, went to the police about the drug dealing. I did what everyone says to do - "step up, speak up". I was supposed to remain anonymous. Not only did the police give me a hard time about "not knowing what the hell I was talking about" (even though I had grown up in a drug dealing area and knew what I was looking at), they also told me that the townwatch never brought this to their attention (funny, they sure were talkative with me!). Two days later, the drug dealers knew that it was me that spoke to the police about them, knew who I spoke to, knew whom I spoke about, and what I said. The rest of the summer was spent dealing with harrassment and threats (at least until I threatened to bring the DEA into the neighborhood, then they backed off). Now I just get looks to kill. And I also understand why the townwatch wanted me to do their dirtywork. That's what I get for trying to get involved to make my neighborhood a better place.
 
Old 01-15-2007, 12:53 PM
 
19 posts, read 90,734 times
Reputation: 19
Yea we had townwatch also a lot of good that did
I two try to make things right but it is a losing battle
had a big fight with our so-call speaker house John Perzel all he care was whats in it for him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top