Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 06:16 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times

Advertisements

Guys, for the last time, You chose to live in Philadlephia. No one ever said or pretends to believe that this is Beverly Hills. This city has probably been hit harder by the southern integration of poor than any other city in the country. Stick a fork in it please.

For the last time there are many incredible great things that this city still has to offer. Perhaps your circumstances don't allow you to benefit from them but they do exist, take my word for it.Shut the heck up.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:35 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
Yes great things do exist. we are the birthplace. we have many nice, beautiful, cultural things such as rittenhouse square, liberty bell...and so on. We are a nice tourist city.

We also have dime bags, and prostitutes, and awful public schools and trash littering everywhere...horrible smells from the pollution....broken vials...thugs and punks...and this is NOT the ghetto parts like all cities have but in our working class northeast neighborhood.

And we have people fawning over the city, YET not living in it. We also have people who like to tell other people an ignorant "shut up" as we are not expressing just an opinion...but what we have witnessed and experienced.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Guys, for the last time, You chose to live in Philadlephia. No one ever said or pretends to believe that this is Beverly Hills. This city has probably been hit harder by the southern integration of poor than any other city in the country. Stick a fork in it please.

For the last time there are many incredible great things that this city still has to offer. Perhaps your circumstances don't allow you to benefit from them but they do exist, take my word for it.Shut the heck up.
Not everyone choses to live in Philly. Some of us don't have the financial means to escape. And those moving into the city deserve to know what they're getting into. If it were me, I sure would want to know. So, NO, I won't shut up. Esp. when I read posts from someone that doesn't live here, only visits the good parts, then tells those that have no idea what they're moving into what a great city it is. These people aren't just visiting; they are investing their lives here. They deserve our honesty.

Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
thanks joyce, so true, i did choose to live here for certain reasons, though I would not have chosen it if I knew how bad it was, but i hve also learned things about this place that i am glad I have learned.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 PM

39 posts, read 141,961 times
Post Philadelphia police records

the disillusion of Some people. They have absolutely no knowledge of what is truly transpiring with in Philadelphia. The drugs the crime the corruption of the City government.
look at the police records

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Last edited by PhilaForNow; 01-16-2007 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-16-2007, 08:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Question "The Sky is Falling!"

Sorry, folks, but I'm going to have to buck the trend here and come to the defense of RainRock, who I hope will become my newfound friend on the Philadelphia sub-forum! PA, in general, is a state where people love to have a "gloom and doom" outlook on life and spew vitriol unto others in hopes that bringing them down will bring themselves up. If you don't believe me, check out some of the pessimistic posts on the Pittsburgh sub-forum, as well as checking out some of the local Scranton, PA message boards.

Here in Scranton, we've gone without a single homicide in our county since mid-2005. Our crime rate is so low that we recently had an out-of-town reporter come to town to interview local law enforcement officials to inquire as to why our police department has been so effective in "cleaning up the town." Nevertheless, when I posted a new thread on a local message board (WNEP-TV Online), that praised the Scranton P.D. for their vigilance in making our community a safer place in which to reside, I was blasted left and right by these "Chicken Littles" who still claimed that Scranton's crime rate was somehow "skyrocketing." My point is that it seems, statewide, that we have problems in which people will look for only the negative aspects of any positive news. For example, many replies to my thread included "All this announcement meant is that everyone who was stabbed or shot was lucky enough to live" or "I need to carry a gun while walking around Scranton during the day to combat the Bloods and Crips." As a result, potential new residents to the Electric City read comments like that and immediately think of Scranton as being a crime haven, although it has the lowest crime rate out of PA's top ten cities, as well as among the lowest crime rates in the nation for a city with 75,000+ residents and a metro of 600,000, if I'm not mistaken. To me, that's great news. To seemingly everyone else, it wasn't good enough.

I realize that Scranton having 0 homicides last year vs. the 350+ in Philadelphia is a daunting difference, but bear in mind that for a city with 1.5 million residents and a metro of well over 5 million, that still isn't all that bad. I suspect that even if Philly's homicide rate drops to only, per se, 26 this year that people will still be screaming "the sky is falling!"

People in the Keystone State need to start being grateful for what we do have instead of always bitching about why "it sucks here." If we want to revitalize our urban cores, we need new reinvestment from outsiders. If want outsiders to be attracted to our cities, then we need to stop being so damn negative about them that they're being scared off left and right! As for me, I've seen nothing but great things occurring in Scranton since 2000, from loft housing projects, to art galleries, to Wall Street West, to an upcoming commuter rail link to Manhattan, to a new Yankees franchise, and I can't believe the overwhelming majority of city residents still, en masse, shout "Scranton blows!" At this rate, you could probably plop Pennsylvanians down in The Hamptons and they'll find something to ***** about. Some people are just never happy.

Don't any of you have a "glass half-full" mindset, like RainRock and I appear to? By the way, I'm not some "suburban yuppie preaching over a latte" either; I grew up in a trailer park and know what it means to "live without." Nevertheless, I think the best remedy for all of our urban ills is a good healthy dose of optimism every once-in-a-while!

Old 01-16-2007, 10:41 PM

39 posts, read 141,961 times
I tend to have a blinded eye when it comes to Pittsburg. I Went to Slippery Rock university about 50 miles north of Pittsburg and a native of Jefferson County 70 miles north east of the city. I love Pittsburg but I am not and never did or will live there. I see Pittsburg as an outsider I believe one hundred percent what the residents post. I am a resident of Philadelphia the old city section I see drug dealers right on 2nd street, thugs walking down my street braking car windows. Just to keep my car safe I have to pay $24.00 at a parking lot for the week end. Then I need a zoning permit to park on my street were I live and one day a week I can’t do that. Right now I should by praising Philadelphia Because I am looking to sell my home hopefully getting $200,000.00 for it but I can’t bring my self to lie for personnel gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Sorry, folks, but I'm going to have to buck the trend here and come to the defense of RainRock, who I hope will become my newfound friend on the Philadelphia sub-forum! PA, in general, is a state where people love to have a "gloom and doom" outlook on life and spew vitriol unto others in hopes that bringing them down will bring themselves up. If you don't believe me, check out some of the pessimistic posts on the Pittsburgh sub-forum, as well as checking out some of the local Scranton, PA message boards.

Here in Scranton, we've gone without a single homicide in our county since mid-2005. Our crime rate is so low that we recently had an out-of-town reporter come to town to interview local law enforcement officials to inquire as to why our police department has been so effective in "cleaning up the town." Nevertheless, when I posted a new thread on a local message board (WNEP-TV Online), that praised the Scranton P.D. for their vigilance in making our community a safer place in which to reside, I was blasted left and right by these "Chicken Littles" who still claimed that Scranton's crime rate was somehow "skyrocketing." My point is that it seems, statewide, that we have problems in which people will look for only the negative aspects of any positive news. For example, many replies to my thread included "All this announcement meant is that everyone who was stabbed or shot was lucky enough to live" or "I need to carry a gun while walking around Scranton during the day to combat the Bloods and Crips." As a result, potential new residents to the Electric City read comments like that and immediately think of Scranton as being a crime haven, although it has the lowest crime rate out of PA's top ten cities, as well as among the lowest crime rates in the nation for a city with 75,000+ residents and a metro of 600,000, if I'm not mistaken. To me, that's great news. To seemingly everyone else, it wasn't good enough.

I realize that Scranton having 0 homicides last year vs. the 350+ in Philadelphia is a daunting difference, but bear in mind that for a city with 1.5 million residents and a metro of well over 5 million, that still isn't all that bad. I suspect that even if Philly's homicide rate drops to only, per se, 26 this year that people will still be screaming "the sky is falling!"

People in the Keystone State need to start being grateful for what we do have instead of always bitching about why "it sucks here." If we want to revitalize our urban cores, we need new reinvestment from outsiders. If want outsiders to be attracted to our cities, then we need to stop being so damn negative about them that they're being scared off left and right! As for me, I've seen nothing but great things occurring in Scranton since 2000, from loft housing projects, to art galleries, to Wall Street West, to an upcoming commuter rail link to Manhattan, to a new Yankees franchise, and I can't believe the overwhelming majority of city residents still, en masse, shout "Scranton blows!" At this rate, you could probably plop Pennsylvanians down in The Hamptons and they'll find something to ***** about. Some people are just never happy.

Don't any of you have a "glass half-full" mindset, like RainRock and I appear to? By the way, I'm not some "suburban yuppie preaching over a latte" either; I grew up in a trailer park and know what it means to "live without." Nevertheless, I think the best remedy for all of our urban ills is a good healthy dose of optimism every once-in-a-while!

Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,429,557 times
I also live in one of the better sections of Philly - Manayunk. It's one of the hottest sections of the city. But I'm not going to put on my rose-colored glasses just to lie and make a quick buck when it comes time to sell my home. I couldn't live with myself after that. The crime rate isn't negativity, it's the reality we have to live with and deal with everyday. And the murder rate of 400+ this year only includes those in the city. Who knows how many more have happened in the surrounding burbs. And do you want to tell those families that lost a loved one that they are only bringing down the city when they speak out about the crime and violence? Do you tell them it's their fault because they "chose" to live in the "ghetto"? And if they didn't like what was happening in their neighborhoods, they should just move the hell out? It's not that easy. People in Philly are speaking out because they tried to make changes to better their neighborhoods and they're getting frustrated with the lack of cooperation from the city gov't. And maybe people should speak out. It helps open eyes to what's really going on. Because if no one spoke out, just hid their heads in the sand and pretended everything was a-ok, then nothing would change.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
i live in one of the neighborhoods in CC that is on the pictures, the one with the flags. Second wealthiest section of the city and yet, there is crime and violence here as well. Murders happening all over, just had one on Sunday after a guy broke into City Hall.

Murder is crazy here, but Philly is not the worse and not the best, its down there near the bottom but it is NOT Camden yet!.

If we were talking about Mississippi everyone would be trashing it but because we are talking about Philly some people are defensive.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:08 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Did you also see the one the other day about the pregnant woman getting hit by a hit-and-run driver? Fabulous,absofriekinlutely fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia