U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo View Post
I was considering moving to Philadelphia for school, but it really does not look that nice anymore. Can anyone give me an OBJECTIVE view of Philadelphia? The photos are nice and all, but they look like post cards and even the worst places have nice post cards. And the miserable people are miserable so obviously their view is a little warped. I would like to know how life would be there for a graduate student from the West Coast. How is the public transportation? The parking situation sounds terrible. What neighborhoods would you recommend for a student? Inexpensive and relatively safe. I hope it is not as bad as it sounds, Philadelphia always seemed so nice to me. I have never been, but it always looked very interesting
What school are you considering?

Penn/Drexel/would provide a great experience.

University City which is made up in part by Penn + Drexel universities along with some smaller institutions was recently named one of the top 3 urban renewal neighborhoods in the world and currently has about 1 billion dollars worth of projects going on.Its also right next to center city which is tremendous and has about 5 billion dollars dollars worth of projects happening.

St Josephs/Villanova are up on the Main Line which is a wealthy ritzy quiet part of the city. Very nice campuses especially Villanova. Villanova is actually in an adjacent county.

Temple unfortunately I could not recommend as its in a bad part of town, although the campus itself is incredibly safe.

Don't let the haters scare you off. You should look around and see what the students are saying about their schools and surroundings. And if possible spend a couple days in the city looking around first before making any big decisions.

Lets us know what school you would be interested in so we can be of further help.

As far as the pictures being postcards? they are what they are.Thats what it looks like. That 3rd or 4th picture of all the people lounging in Rittenhouse Square, its like that every nice day from April to July. Center City is an incredible place in the spring/summer/falls. Although winters here stink.

Last edited by rainrock; 01-29-2007 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-29-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klosk View Post
Thanks Rainr ock for the beautiful pictures. My son moved from Albuquerque, NM in 1999 and will never move back here. He does not live in a upper class neigborhood and it probably isn't even a middle class spot. It is in the city somewhere off of Rosevelt Blvd. But he loves it there. We have visited a few times and I am impressed with Philly.

Klosk I had some friends visit from Sante Fe last year. Before the trip all they kept talking about was New york, Manhattan, Broadway, excitement,skyline yadda yadda. I showed them around Philly and they fell in love with the city, then they went on their own up to NYC where they spent $300 bucks a night in a dive hotel in Jersey City. When they came back from NYC they were pretty quiet about the trip.The mentioned the insanity of it all- the crowds-the people-the $14 dollar cosmopolitans etc. The rest of the conversation was about Philly and SE Pa. They loved it here.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:42 AM

25 posts, read 229,728 times
Thanks Rainrock. That was really helpful and I am considering UPenn. It really has the best program for the field I am in. I have never been to the East Coast and all I see on the threads is how dangerous and terrible Philadelphia is. I have only lived on the West Coast and am currently living in Italy. As for other students... I don't like talking to other students about a city. I have noticed that students usually rate the quality of life in their city by their friends or parties/nightlife/hangouts. Things that I will be interested in once I get to Philadelphia. I was more concerned with things like saftey, ambience, and ease/comfort. I want to know if it could be a place that I would feel at home at. Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboo View Post
Thanks Rainrock. That was really helpful and I am considering UPenn. It really has the best program for the field I am in. I have never been to the East Coast and all I see on the threads is how dangerous and terrible Philadelphia is.
I think you would enjoy Penn. This isn't Princeton or Chapel HIll where crime is never an issue, it is afterall the 5th largest city in the usa and you need to be aware of your surroundings. But during the day/evening you definitely won't be walking the streets in fear, there will be tens of thousands of people working, shopping, playing, heading for classes etc..

Public transportation and services do leave alot to be desired and comes back to the poor quality of people coming out of the Philadelphia public schools. This isn't the west coast, the people here working the service industry have a much tougher edge to them.

The good points are the great museums, history,architecture,educational institutions, culture, music scene, outdoors(rowing jogging hiking biking trails) You could get on your mountain bike in University City jump on the river trail and ride all the way to Valley Forge(25 miles to the NW) Its worth a visit to see if its your thing.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:55 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
ahh 2 good stories, yesterday in the city of Brotherly Shove!! A Penn Law Student attacks two foreign students from Drexel University with a Glock and shooting into their apartment in West Philly NOT IN THE BAD AREA but around the great Ivy league institution!!

Can someone say, WAKE UP!!!!????

2nd, we have elections for Mayor coming up and a cast of characters that look like a Million Man March and Union convention. No new faces just the same old crap

We had a chance with Sam Katz and flushed it to keep it Chocolate

Old 02-01-2007, 05:57 PM

Baboo, if you have a chance to go IVY Go to my alma Mater--Brown University in Providence RI, better neigbhorhood and awesome faculty

Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 PM

39 posts, read 134,884 times
Carolinajack: Can you tell me where can I find this info.?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:41 PM

information on Brown University? Go to www.brown.edu or google Brown University

as for Philly info, go to the philadelphia inquirer it will have the article on the shootings and also you can possible look at the deadly violence happening in our city. the police had to shoot a guy around the holidays for breaking into city hall, the football coaches sons busted yesterday for drugs and guns and hitting a woman with their car, it is out of control here.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:03 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,393,875 times
Yea,it's like there's a full moon here all the time!

Old 02-02-2007, 09:25 AM

I know, it is so weird. For a big city with all the potential in the world, if the people were diff., sophiscation is lacking. I was amazed how a city with an Ivy League Uni like Penn, and art museums of world class, and awesome restaurants---how filthy the city is, the parks with trash in them, people (of all races) throwing trash on the streets, old women walking down the street in Center City(i live down here I know) cursing like thugs and spitting in public like this is Dickensonian England.

I was so amazed when i first moved here(only because my wife was living and working here)how the north philly area looked from the train--like Beirut and all the Dem politicians have done nothing about it. How One party is so entrenched for 50 + years, you would think people would wake up and say,"Lets try something different for a change", where Private corporation has to take over the public schools and we still lose millions of dollars and the education of the children is getting moral abysmal.

What am I missing? I know other cities have major problems, I am not oblivious to it as my neigbhors seem to be--but gosh, dont people see how overtaxing, lack of affordable housing for middle class, lack of city planning and land use, lack of civic responsibility and accountability and the Crime and filth of the city made us a scourge?

I live here and if it were run better maybe would stay but the people seem content with mediocrity or worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or