U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:03 PM

39 posts, read 132,375 times

Advertisements

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]NOW some advice about Philadelphia it is a very big city. The City government is so far in dept Just about anything you’ll get a ticket for. Have flowers growing on your own property they will give a $30.00 ticket for weeds try to fight it you would be paying $300.00 for court fees. Because the courts will not even look at pictures you have of your property they clam the pictures are irrelevant but the picture would clearly show indeed that they are flowers. Then the city has subcontractors do the main sewer line under the streets about 4 years ago one of the subcontractors that did this to my street when they were connecting the main sewer line under the streets and were paid to put a new sewer traps in for every home. Not only did they not put a new traps in they destroyed half of the existing traps. Now the home owners have to pay well over $2000.00 for it to be fixes. The city had said it not their responsibility and they will not give the name of the subcontractor that did the faulty work. The city has a cleaning truck clean a select few streets a very small select few streets my street is one of them well that what the sign has writing on it on a certain day and they also have writing on it no parking. The problem is they never clean my street on the posted day but city workers are out there their the Parking Authority weighting again tickets for cars that people that lives on the street has parked $30.00 tickets try to fight it you’ll go the same place as above no ware fast but would be paying more money. Then a foot deep pot hole damages your car then try to get the city the pay for the damage you’ll go away not getting a dime but you’ll have to pay fines for blocking the city street when your car was stuck in the pot hole. I can’t tell you what the Philadelphia murder rate totals are for 2006 they don’t tell anyone any longer on the news New Movie Coming To A Cinema Near you ((( PHILADELPHIA THE DEATH TRAP MOVE IN YOU MAY NEVER GET OUT ALIVE)))) I own the rights to this title. [/FONT]

Old 11-15-2006, 10:48 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Philadelphia is not cut out for everyone.

I've had my fair share of tickets in Center City as well but the city must be doing something right or there wouldn't be thousands of people driving around looking for open parking garages and meters.

Center City Philadlephia is a hidden gem . I don't live in the city but I vist it as often as I can. I live out in beautiful Chester County but every chance I get I go into the city to enjoy the culture, great restaurants, beautiful parks. Love walking thru amazing, safe, peaceful neighborhoods like Soceity Hill, Rittenhouse, University City, Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy, Manayunk, Bella Vista etc etc .

I've never lived in the city as I can understand where it could be a challenge with the lack of parking, small streets, traffic etc but it sure is a great place to visit with an awful lot going on.

And what was the last figure I heard 98% of the murders in Philadelphia this year had a specific target(neighborhood riff, juveniles with a grudge etc.)

Last edited by Jammie; 02-07-2007 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-26-2006, 10:35 PM

1/3 of Philadelphia is world class. 1/3 is solid middle class/ 1/3 is in bad shape. Philadelphias center city and surrounding hoods are still one of the most impressive accumulations of neighborhoods in the USA. This isn't a city that has been completely overrun, far from it.

[/i]

Last edited by Jammie; 02-07-2007 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-27-2006, 08:44 AM

Old 11-27-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaForNow View Post
[font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]NOW some advice about Philadelphia it is a very big city. The City government is so far in dept Just about anything you’ll get a ticket for.
The city had a $250 M dollar surplus this fiscal year thanks to a thriving tourist industry, nightlife scene, and healthy condo and building construction market.

Quote:
I can’t tell you what the Philadelphia murder rate totals are for 2006 they don’t tell anyone any longer on the news New Movie Coming To A Cinema Near you ((( PHILADELPHIA THE DEATH TRAP MOVE IN YOU MAY NEVER GET OUT ALIVE)))) I own the rights to this title.
Yes Philly has crime and murder but it is mostly in the ghetto neighborhoods. 95% of the shooting victims had an intended target. Random crime happens in center city occassionally but it is not the norm. Philly is no different than other major cities and in fact it has a lower crime rate than 32 other major cities. Center City has the third most people in the uS living downtown and center city continues to expand with 5-10% population growth every year. Center City has upgraded so well and has set itself apart from the lower socio economic areas that crime is pretty rare in center city and many other neighborhoods for that matter.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:19 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,434,405 times
RAINROCK! That's the Philly I know, one of the pix even looks like my DD's neighborhood! Those pix are GORGEOUS! STUNNING! AMAZING! Philly has it's share of problems, what city doesn't - but we drive 1-1/2 hours to go there for dinner, shopping, & fun! Great city --- thanks for posting these extraordinary photos.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:24 AM

Yes its bothersome that outsiders who don't know Philadelphia from a can of paint or disillusioned locals love to call Philadelphia a ****hole. Its far from it. It does have its trouble spots but overall its a great great city.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:59 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,338,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Sounds like someone needs to call a wah wah wahmbulance or at the very least a change of scenery. Philadelphia is not cut out for everyone.

I've had my fair share of tickets in Center City as well but the city must be doing something right or there wouldn't be thousands of people driving around looking for open parking garages and meters.

Center City Philadlephia is a hidden gem . I don't live in the city but I vist it as often as I can. I live out in beautiful Chester County but every chance I get I go into the city to enjoy the culture, great restaurants, beautiful parks. Love walking thru amazing, safe, peaceful neighborhoods like Soceity Hill, Rittenhouse, University City, Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy, Manayunk, Bella Vista etc etc .

I've never lived in the city as I can understand where it could be a challenge with the lack of parking, small streets, traffic etc but it sure is a great place to visit with an awful lot going on.

And what was the last figure I heard 98% of the murders in Philadelphia this year had a specific target(neighborhood riff, juveniles with a grudge etc.)
If Philadelphia is so great, why don't you live here?! It amazes me that all the people that praise the city actually live in the 'burbs and only visit the decent neighborhoods so that's what they base their opinions on. Contrary to what city hall wants you to believe, this city is in "major" debt. That is why the gov't. keeps cutting back on city services. At least that's the reason they keep giving us for putting less police on the street and closing down the firehouses and libraries. Then they're constantly raising our taxes. Which doesn't pay for anything but the bloated city gov't. and patronage jobs for all their relatives that wouldn't be able to hold down a job in the private sector. And, sorry to say, crime isn't just located to the bad sections of the city. As for the "specific targets of murder" theory, alot of murder victims were innocent by-standers caught in the crossfire of some drug war (talk to the families that were left behind to deal with the aftermath). And, yeah, even the better neighborhoods have these problems (Manayunk/Roxborough). I know. I LIVE HERE!

Old 11-27-2006, 11:18 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,434,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce65 View Post
If Philadelphia is so great, why don't you live here?! I know. I LIVE HERE!
So does my daughter, and several of our friends.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce65 View Post
If Philadelphia is so great, why don't you live here?! It amazes me that all the people that praise the city actually live in the 'burbs and only visit the decent neighborhoods so that's what they base their opinions on I know. I LIVE HERE!
I'm quite happy where I live thank you.

I never insinuated that Philadelphia was this utopia of all things right with the world.My point was that the citys reputation was far worse than reality.Thats all I was trying to present. If you don't like Manayunk, Move. If you are unhappy in your neighborhood, Move. Its unfortunate that you dislike Manayunk but that doesn't translate into the entire city of Philadelphia being a hellhole.

Last edited by Jammie; 02-07-2007 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or