U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-30-2008, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,745 posts, read 7,848,885 times
Reputation: 4700

Advertisements

I'm not going to post the article in full, but I saw this on the Inquirer website and thought it was important to share, as crime in the city is an issue that I'm sure is on everyone's mind:

Ramsey’s goal: 100 less murders a year | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/30/2008 (broken link)

I'm personally cautiously optimistic, but Ramsey seems to have the right idea. Nutter and his administration are definitely starting off on the right track by making tackling crime a top priority. What do others think? Will the goals be met and further propel what appears to be the beginning of a safer Philadelphia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Reputation: 2738
Ramsey did a pretty good job down here in DC, considering the city's challenges. I think the new mayor here just wanted to put his own stamp on the police force by replacing him.

Nutter seems to want to make some changes in a way that is more cost-effective that Street's "Operation Safe Streets". Of course, the long-term solution would be education and jobs. But I guess sometimes you need to deal with the symptoms before you can address the cure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,745 posts, read 7,848,885 times
Reputation: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Nutter seems to want to make some changes in a way that is more cost-effective that Street's "Operation Safe Streets". Of course, the long-term solution would be education and jobs. But I guess sometimes you need to deal with the symptoms before you can address the cure.
Excellent point. Although combating crime is extremely important, unless Nutter tackles that which gives people an inclination to commit crime (i.e., unemployment, low-education levels, poverty, etc.), then it's shoveling a path in the middle of a blizzard. Crime must be combated on a variety of fronts, which takes more than just police force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 12:41 PM
 
59 posts, read 235,542 times
Reputation: 30
You're right about crime having to be combated on a variety of fronts. Unemployment and education needs to be the major focus as most of the people murdering and commited crimes are from below poverty levels. Theres a point in time where a person doesn't even care if there are police because of how hungry they are, I know because I used to be within the demographic. I think there will be a small change in the homicide rate because of Ramsey but in the long run it won't really affect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
 
1,623 posts, read 5,967,012 times
Reputation: 449
Guys,
With all due respect, I'm pretty sure the rapists and muggers and drug dealers aren't hungry. I'm liberal but I'm not so liberal as to believe Philly needs to improve the socioeconomic status of its residents and wait 18 years to see if crime improves. I mean, give me a break already. What Philly needs is what Nutter seems to be doing: more cops on the street, especially in the bad areas, a more liberal stop n frisk policy to get the 10% bad elements off the street, and more cameras as well to police the badder areas 24/7. Combine that with neighborhood watches and improving neighborhoods/better housing and I think you will see a real turnaround without going as far as saying we need to provide a huge social program for all the poor souls committing crimes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 08:30 PM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Reputation: 2738
I agree with you,orrmobl. The actions you endorse that Nutter intends to take are what I would consider treating the symptoms. But in the long run, we need to address the issues that got us to where we are now. (And yes, I still consider myself part of "us" even though I'm writing this from about 150 miles away. ) I like to think that, say, 8-9% of that 10% bad element would prefer to make an honest living if given the right opportunity and guidance. It may take a generation or so to make that change but no better time to start than the present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Guys,
With all due respect, I'm pretty sure the rapists and muggers and drug dealers aren't hungry. I'm liberal but I'm not so liberal as to believe Philly needs to improve the socioeconomic status of its residents and wait 18 years to see if crime improves. I mean, give me a break already. What Philly needs is what Nutter seems to be doing: more cops on the street, especially in the bad areas, a more liberal stop n frisk policy to get the 10% bad elements off the street, and more cameras as well to police the badder areas 24/7. Combine that with neighborhood watches and improving neighborhoods/better housing and I think you will see a real turnaround without going as far as saying we need to provide a huge social program for all the poor souls committing crimes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
 
59 posts, read 235,542 times
Reputation: 30
Nah you've got it wrong. Actually MOST of the criminals are hungry. I used to be a criminal and 100% of the crimes I commited were because of living in below poverty. Nutter's initiative is just putting a bandage on a bullet wound, it wont help at all in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 AM
 
36 posts, read 59,402 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm not going to post the article in full, but I saw this on the Inquirer website and thought it was important to share, as crime in the city is an issue that I'm sure is on everyone's mind:

Ramsey’s goal: 100 less murders a year | Philadelphia Inquirer | 01/30/2008 (broken link)

I'm personally cautiously optimistic, but Ramsey seems to have the right idea. Nutter and his administration are definitely starting off on the right track by making tackling crime a top priority. What do others think? Will the goals be met and further propel what appears to be the beginning of a safer Philadelphia?
Bump! Well 4 years later, no change, and no hope. Just another failed administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top