Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 06:49 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,790 times

Advertisements

I know I can Google this, but would prefer local suggestions. I want to go on a random adventure on Sunday - prefer something in PA within 2 hour driving distance from Philly. Something new/different/random. What would you do if you had a day to kill for an adventure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 07:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I know I can Google this, but would prefer local suggestions. I want to go on a random adventure on Sunday - prefer something in PA within 2 hour driving distance from Philly. Something new/different/random. What would you do if you had a day to kill for an adventure?
You might not see this as very different but I've been to Carlise, PA a few times because of my Cherokee heritage and the infamous US Indian Industrial School. It's also the home of the Army's War College. But it's a charming town with nice Victorian architecture and restaurants.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:05 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,832 times
Have you ever been to Lancaster? Hershey? Rehoboth Beach is nice this time of year because the tourists are gone.

How about Jim Thorpe? Their fall festival stuff should be going on now. You can get a room in their quaint little town or a chain hotel off the turnpike. If you like the outdoors there's tons to do.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:32 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Bethlehem is a nice little town too.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:35 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
I'd do Bethlehem closer to Christmas.

How about Hanover & Gettysburg?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:06 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
If it MUST be in Pennsylvania, I'd suggest either Jim Thorpe or Hershey.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:23 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Winetober Fest - Bucks County, Philadelphia Countryside Events

Old 10-10-2015, 06:08 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
I just got back from Rehoboth Beach for a 3 day/2 night mini-vacation. Now that it's off season it was great! Not much traffic, free parking, cheap lodging, great restaurants and yet there is still frolicking nightlife.

For day trips may I suggest:

-- New Hope and Lambertville (is across the river in New Jersey but worth the stroll across the bridge)
-- Easton, PA (pretty downtown, Crayola Crayon factory, good restaurants)
-- Amish country - Lancaster County
-- West Chester (walkable downtown, lovely shops)
-- Hawk Mountain (great if you're into nature)
-- Harrisburg (the state capitol building is very opulent and worth seeing as is the nearby state museum)
-- Longwood Gardens (great any time of the year!)

Old 10-11-2015, 06:03 AM

983 posts, read 2,774,644 times
I have a few suggestions:

Ricketts Glen State Park: it's about 1.5-2 hour drive from Philly and it is the most beautiful park - the land of waterfalls. You hike along defined trails and as you hike you come across one waterfall after another. It's a mountainous area, so a lot of the trail is up and down inclines. It is especially beautiful in the fall. We try to take a trip out every year.

Spring Mountain: this is a small ski resort about an hour outside Philly. In addition to skiing in winter, they have other activities year 'round. My friends and I did one of their canopy tours and it was an absolute blast! Hiking, repelling, zip lining, etc.

New Hope: a really funky, charming town with loads of shops and restaurants. It sits on the Delaware River and it just a beautiful place. Be sure to ride the New Hope Ivyland Railroad, a real steam locomotive. You can walk across the bridge from New Hope to Lambertville to browse antique shops.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:12 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
In Delaware: I grew up in lower Delaware and prefer the charm of Lewes over Rehoboth any day, although you actually could walk from one to the other! Welcome to Lewes.com and make sure to visit the farmers market while you are there: http://www.historiclewesfarmersmarket.org/

A little closer to Philly is New Castle DE: Olde New Castle, Delaware - Brandywine Valley

Of course, there's always Longwood Gardens too: Nightscape | Longwood Gardens

Jim Thorpe - Jim Thorpe, Pa Online - Visitor Information Recreation- Places to eat and stay- Special Events In the Poconos

The Lehigh Valley in general is pretty neat. You could pick some apples or pumpkins at many of the PYO places Where in Eastern Pennsylvania to find pick your own farms and orchards for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and canning & freezing instructions!, visit Steel Stacks and catch a concert -http://www.steelstacks.org/ Check out a farmers market - Allentown Fairgrounds Farmers Market - Allentown, Pennsylvania Now that the leaves are turning a covered bridge tour would be fun Travel Tours in Easton, Allentown, and Bethlehem, PA | US Tours in Lehigh Valley, PA | Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Pa | Discover Lehigh Valley

Allentown has the newest sports arena and you can catch the flyers minor league team here, or go to a concert: PPL Center - PPL Center

Bethlehem (it's a city, not a town) Christmas is a great time, but there are several festivals year round, including Musikfest and Celtic Fest that are excellent. - City of Bethlehem

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia