Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 09:22 PM

14 posts, read 18,852 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are house hunting and would like to be in a 15 - 20 mins radius from Swedesford Rd Wayne PA. We've lined up several homes to see this weekend in King of Prussia and Exton - all in the range of $300K to $350K. The nicest homes at very competitive prices are in Audubon. However when I plot them on google map they show up as being in Eagleville. Some homes in Eagleville (in Zillow or Trulia) show up as Norristown on Google maps. Wondering if there was a change of name some years ago that I don't know about .. we've only be in USA for the last 3 years. I have heard awful things about crime in Norristown and don't want to live there, but Trulia real estate site says the crime rate at the addresses I have saved is LOWEST. Please could someone tell me if Audubon, Eagleville and Norristown have the same crime level and the similar reputation?
Thanks Cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 06:58 AM

69 posts, read 87,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyO View Post
My husband and I are house hunting and would like to be in a 15 - 20 mins radius from Swedesford Rd Wayne PA. We've lined up several homes to see this weekend in King of Prussia and Exton - all in the range of $300K to $350K. The nicest homes at very competitive prices are in Audubon. However when I plot them on google map they show up as being in Eagleville. Some homes in Eagleville (in Zillow or Trulia) show up as Norristown on Google maps. Wondering if there was a change of name some years ago that I don't know about .. we've only be in USA for the last 3 years. I have heard awful things about crime in Norristown and don't want to live there, but Trulia real estate site says the crime rate at the addresses I have saved is LOWEST. Please could someone tell me if Audubon, Eagleville and Norristown have the same crime level and the similar reputation?
Thanks Cathy
Cathy-

Historically, Audubon & Eagleville had better crime levels and Norristown was a high crime area. Within the past decade, however, the crime has significantly dropped in the Norristown area. I would say that the crime level is quite low. However, the school districts in Norristown have not made the vast improvements that the crime has.

Also, parts of Norristown (closer to East Norriton, Audubon, Eagleville as well as Plymouth Meeting) have less crime. You should be able to pull the crime heat maps up in any of the real estate websites (Trulia, Zillow, etc) to see where those low areas are.

Although some houses in Norristown are nice (depending on location and what you are looking for), Norristown still remains an area that is not as desired, but not due to crime. For your price point and what you may be looking for, Conshohocken, Blue Bell and Plymouth Meeting may be some other options for you.

I hope that helps!

Thanks.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:12 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,385 times
A coworker of mine lives not too far off of the Audobon exit of Route 422. Her mailing address is Norristown. But if you go to Google maps and separately map Norristown, Audobon, and Eagleville, you'll see the differences. It has more to do with post office than anything else.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:07 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
A coworker of mine lives not too far off of the Audobon exit of Route 422. Her mailing address is Norristown. But if you go to Google maps and separately map Norristown, Audobo
n, and Eagleville, you'll see the differences. It has more to do with post office than anything else.
Yes they all must share the same zip code. Norristown is actually pretty quiet for such an old urban albeit small city.Its rare that any serious crime makes the news from Norristown.Eagleville + Audubon are safe, pleasant, spacious suburbs of Norristown.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:37 AM

14 posts, read 18,852 times
Thanks PLyons13, yes Trulia does have a crime map but I was not confident if that was accurate. I guess I should be more trusting of Trulia and Zillow.
Thanks Flyers Girl I will google map the three areas and set my mind at ease
Thanks rainrock - hard to believe that they all share the same zip code.
Here in State College PA where we currently live, Penn State University has it's very own zipcode.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:33 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyO View Post
Thanks rainrock - hard to believe that they all share the same zip code.
Here in State College PA where we currently live, Penn State University has it's very own zipcode.
Sorry I meant Post Office. The Zip Codes of the 3 towns are probably slightly different.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:24 AM

126 posts, read 203,633 times
Not super familiar with the area, but most of the houses you're looking at should be in the methacton school district, which ranks very well, not Norristown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia