Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 709 times

Advertisements

My wife and are are looking to move to the area since it is right between both of our works (bala cynwood & wilmington). We've looked in media and springfield but haven't found much in the 250-300k price range. I've found some nicer looking houses in Aston and Brookhaven.

My question is are these two areas nice/safe? What about the schools? How does penn delco compare to some of the other schools districts in the area?

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 10:27 AM

9,374 posts, read 9,308,176 times
Aston is a much larger township than Brookhaven with socio-economics more resembling Media and Middletown, due to the influx of wealthier residents in the early 2000s. I personally find Aston to be a nicer area than Springfield. Homes in Aston range from 150k-550k, so you can most certainly find a nice home for 300k. Its a typical suburban setup, lots of subdivisions, tons of families some strip shopping centers, Neumann University is on the North Western portion of the township. The only downsides to Aston are the traffic and lack of amenities aside from your grocery and drug stores.

Brookhaven is about half the size of Aston was essentially developed between 1945-1960. All post-war small cap cods with a few larger home developments near the Middletown border. Brookhaven is very middle class American suburbia. The strip shopping centers are becoming a little tired and dated, but there are plans for a new Giant supermarket and the crappy KMart is turning into a Lowes which is a nice improvement. Downsides to Brookhaven are its lack of housing choices, lack of open space, and its proximity to Chester. I don't see Brookhaven becoming a ghetto, but it has become a lot more diverse due to its affordability.

Both townships are Penn Delco School District. It is a very solid school district. Not as prestigious as its Media and Garnet Valley neighbors, but nothing like Chester or Upper Chichester, I would not have any hesitations about sending my kids to Penn Delco. Penn Delco is comparable to Marple Newtown School District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia