Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:44 PM

23 posts, read 30,156 times

Advertisements

This board has been very helpful and i wanted to see if my wife and i could get some advice on where to put down roots as her contract has been extended and my job is keeping me here.

Basics:

Moved here from Balt in Jan 2015 to Rox/Manayunk renting for the first time in 15 years due to selling home so quick in Balt (good problem to have).

No kids, schools not a concern- we do have a lg dog which is why we live in the yunk but not opposed to living in the city

In our mid 30's move a lot, and since we don't have kids a lot of our friends tend to be transplants, folks in the service industry, Gay, traveling nurses, and people generally in late 20's / early 30's.

Wife's office at Valley Forge (1 day a week in the office) and I'm based on Roosevelt Blvd ( i travel 85% of the time).

Looking for a hood that walk-able, has lots of bars and restaurants to "discover", people who are friendly to outsiders, some green space and a tree or 2 for the dog would be cool. Not concerned with Crime (lived in Balt 3x worse vs here) parking, or schools, or access to public transportation (but would like to start using this more often). Met a few nice folks in the yunk but definitely a younger bro-heavy crowd and it's too suburban for me here.

Budget $ 350,000- for non-high rise property (back patio for dog preferred, or next to a park)

Thoughts after some recon:

- Queens Village- quieter that i would like but nice and close to 2nd street spots
- Pennsport & dickson Narrows- Looking like this is quietly becoming cool hood
- E. Passayunk - Some great restaurants/ bars don't know much else
-"Newbold"- I like this area, wife not as much due to some concerns about safety and lack of grn space
-Fishtown- Ok pretty hipster vibe which is cool; seems to skew younger us
- Nolibs- Nothing really interesting here lots of $500,000 new construction row homes
-Kensington- Don't know enough interested, wife concerned about crime-
-Gayborhood- priced out for us, no dog patios

anything we're missing? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Jim & Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 06:12 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Queen Village is great, but getting expensive (my top pick)

Next, East Passayunk, similar to Northern Libs but easier to get to Center City.

I would say Fishtown is a great option too. Still affordable, up and coming, growing restuarant and retail scene, a new dog park on Frankford Ave.

South Kensington and Port Richmond along Aramingo Ave is another good option.

Northern Liberties is nice, but becoming very expensive and not as unique as Fishtown.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:15 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,929,815 times
Graduate Hospital could be another option. There's a really great dog park near the Schuylkill river trail/boardwalk.

South Philly has several smaller city parks that take up a whole square block-it's great to be near one. In Pennsport the park is between Tasker/Dickinson and 4th-5th. Newbold does seem to be the least green in SP.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:31 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_dawg View Post
This board has been very helpful and i wanted to see if my wife and i could get some advice on where to put down roots as her contract has been extended and my job is keeping me here.

Basics:

Moved here from Balt in Jan 2015 to Rox/Manayunk renting for the first time in 15 years due to selling home so quick in Balt (good problem to have).

No kids, schools not a concern- we do have a lg dog which is why we live in the yunk but not opposed to living in the city

In our mid 30's move a lot, and since we don't have kids a lot of our friends tend to be transplants, folks in the service industry, Gay, traveling nurses, and people generally in late 20's / early 30's.

Wife's office at Valley Forge (1 day a week in the office) and I'm based on Roosevelt Blvd ( i travel 85% of the time).

Looking for a hood that walk-able, has lots of bars and restaurants to "discover", people who are friendly to outsiders, some green space and a tree or 2 for the dog would be cool. Not concerned with Crime (lived in Balt 3x worse vs here) parking, or schools, or access to public transportation (but would like to start using this more often). Met a few nice folks in the yunk but definitely a younger bro-heavy crowd and it's too suburban for me here.

Budget $ 350,000- for non-high rise property (back patio for dog preferred, or next to a park)

Thoughts after some recon:

- Queens Village- quieter that i would like but nice and close to 2nd street spots
- Pennsport & dickson Narrows- Looking like this is quietly becoming cool hood
- E. Passayunk - Some great restaurants/ bars don't know much else
-"Newbold"- I like this area, wife not as much due to some concerns about safety and lack of grn space
-Fishtown- Ok pretty hipster vibe which is cool; seems to skew younger us
- Nolibs- Nothing really interesting here lots of $500,000 new construction row homes
-Kensington- Don't know enough interested, wife concerned about crime-
-Gayborhood- priced out for us, no dog patios

anything we're missing? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Jim & Amy
Fairmount/Spring Garden/Francisville. Bella Vista. Old City. I would remove Kensington for now.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Queen Village is great, but getting expensive (my top pick)

Next, East Passayunk, similar to Northern Libs but easier to get to Center City.

I would say Fishtown is a great option too. Still affordable, up and coming, growing restuarant and retail scene, a new dog park on Frankford Ave.

South Kensington and Port Richmond along Aramingo Ave is another good option.

Northern Liberties is nice, but becoming very expensive and not as unique as Fishtown.
Let's be blunt. People of color should not bother looking in Fishtown.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Let's be blunt. People of color should not bother looking in Fishtown.
what? I usually always enjoy reading your insight, but this statement is wrong. If you think there is some racist irish underbelly still running fishtown, I hate to break it to you, but there isn't. Fishtown is a nice spot for anyone..

I don't know if it is the best fit for the OP though if they are looking for an older crowd.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:51 PM

23 posts, read 30,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
what? I usually always enjoy reading your insight, but this statement is wrong. If you think there is some racist irish underbelly still running fishtown, I hate to break it to you, but there isn't. Fishtown is a nice spot for anyone..

I don't know if it is the best fit for the OP though if they are looking for an older crowd.

Thanks Pirate oh and btw who cares about skin color in 2015- we're white, but again this shouldn't matter one bit

Old 11-03-2015, 07:34 PM

252 posts, read 234,102 times
[quote=2e1m5a;41789852]Graduate Hospital could be another option. There's a really great dog park near the Schuylkill river trail/boardwalk.

I second this recommendation. Graduate Hospital is just south of Rittenhouse ( Rittenhouse is my favorite park in the city. And great for dogs and people watching..but $$$.) and north of Newbold/Point Breeze. While much of Graduate Hospital is pretty residential, new business and bars are popping up. I moved in 2 years ago to this hood and from what I hear it's made significant changes for the better and continues to improve. It's such an easy trek into CC and you'll be very close to the Western side of South Street which has great bars and restaurants. You're also going to be close to the dogpark at the river trail as the above poster mentioned. This is by far my favorite dog park in the city and the outdoor trail is great for walking/running/biking. It's not as green or " pretty" as some other neighborhoods. And it's not as trendy as other hoods.. but it's a stones throw from lots of cool hoods/good doggie spots.

Regarding your other considerations..

Queen Village-- Very nice. Pretty. Green space.

E. PASSYUNK is great. Lots of cool bars and shopping.

I wouldn't buy in Newbold or Kensington. Way too sketch in my opinion.

NO LIBS and Fishtown I'm not as familiar with but I prefer closer access to CC. This may or may not be important to you.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2015, 07:54 PM

252 posts, read 234,102 times
Oh and also, there's a brand new park being constructed at 17th and Carpenter in Graduate Hospital. I believe part of it will be dog friendly ( though not sure if this will be off leash) . There are condos going for sale right by this park. I believe the one bedrooms are within your budget. Modern and beautiful but not sure if new construction is your thing.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

I'm going by the people who live there. And, yes, I've spent some time there. And I have Irish kinships.

If I decided to buy a house there what would the reaction be, I wonder? I don't think it would be as positive as you believe. I've gone on walking tours of Fishtown because it has an interesting history. Did I see any people who looked like me out and about who lived on side streets off of east Girard Ave? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia