U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:58 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Did you read the part about her not speaking English?
Apparently not. I can't believe the complicated ways to travel that some people are posting.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 PM

3,485 posts, read 8,318,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Apparently not. I can't believe the complicated ways to travel that some people are posting.
I don't know if you are including my Amtrak/LIRR/AirTrain and Greyhound/MTA bus suggestions in that or not, but I know personally I was not aware of any airport shuttle transportation between Philadelphia and JFK Airport. The suggestions I mentioned are probably about as simple as you can get besides that shuttle - no additional train changes at Trenton, no buses with drivers who might not speak English well dropping you off at a curbside that isn't at a bus station and may not be near transportation that can take you to JFK in one or two additional, fairly simple steps.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:30 PM

165 posts, read 769,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Do you people live in a bubble or have you never traveled before? She doesn't speak English, that doesn't mean she is stupid. If she has traveled before, and has a good set of directions, and is comfortable in her shoes, she can make it. If she hasn't, then she can disregard these suggestions and take a limo.

Don't discount suggestions just because you couldn't handle it.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:31 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Have you ever traveled a long distance before and then had to navigate through unfamiliar subway/bus/train situations with all the directions written in a language you can't read? What you you rather do - look for a guy with a sign with your name on it and hop into a shuttle bus, snooze on the van and then arrive at your destination or figure out (and perhaps miss) a subway/bus/train? Hmmmm. Of course a savvy traveler can figure things out but I think it's a real kindness, and more to the point- what the original poster asked for, to find the easiest way to get to the destination.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLaEvie View Post
Do you people live in a bubble or have you never traveled before? She doesn't speak English, that doesn't mean she is stupid. If she has traveled before, and has a good set of directions, and is comfortable in her shoes, she can make it. If she hasn't, then she can disregard these suggestions and take a limo.

Don't discount suggestions just because you couldn't handle it.
And can you not read or comprehend English? The OP's post said:

A direct shuttle bus is ideal,...

I gave the name of a direct shuttle bus. And who said anything about the woman's intelligence? Not speaking or understanding a foreign language does not mean a person is not intelligent.

Last edited by newmarlig; 02-12-2008 at 09:14 PM..

Old 02-14-2008, 06:38 PM

21 posts, read 152,243 times
Default China airline

There's a shuttle bus that leaves Philly but it is used by China airlines for its passengers. It is never full. They meet up at Sheraton Hotel in 13th st to leave for NY airport. You can ask the doorman when the shuttle comes and goes or call China airline.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 26,494 times
Default where does the China Airlines shuttle leave from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by violethawk View Post
There's a shuttle bus that leaves Philly but it is used by China airlines for its passengers. It is never full. They meet up at Sheraton Hotel in 13th st to leave for NY airport. You can ask the doorman when the shuttle comes and goes or call China airline.
I was looking for an easy way to get from Philly to JFK myself (I'm American, speak perfect English, and am a savvy traveler, but lugging around bags still sucks) and I saw this post. However I couldn't find a Sheraton Hotel on 13th St. Can you confirm where this bus leaves from? Also, can you take it if you are not flying China Air?

thanks.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:05 AM

12,767 posts, read 28,906,844 times
Maybe this one: China Airlines (http://www.china-airlines.com/en/promotionen/promotionen000003.htm - broken link) Perhaps it has/or used to have an airport stop in addition to the one that's listed.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:48 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
There is no easy way to get to JFK but as long as this woman is getting specific directions in her own language she should be fine.

I was in Brussels a few years ago and booked a flight on Ryanair from Brussels to Montpelier in southern France. Which was great, it cost me all of €12. Except the airport wasn't in Brussels, it was 40 minutes away in Charleroi. There was a ryanair shuttle bus for another €5 from Brussels to Charleroi and myriad public options. My wife and I set out about 6 hours before our flight and no one, no one could give us precise directions as to how to get where we were going. I speak french and most people there speak english as well so there was no real language barrier. I wound up having to take a €110 cab ride and almost missed the flight. A week later in Barcelona, no problems at all getting to and from airport and I only had to ask one person.

My point is, it's not hard to travel in another city that is tourist friendly. Everything is well marked, in multiple languages and with easy to understand icons (like an outline of a train or plane, for instance).
Barcelona has tons of international tourists. Brussels, not so much.

Don't even get me started on JFK. My wife's cousins flew there from Switzerland. I had to go meet them at the airport. It was brutal. I took the chinatown bus and the A train to Jamaica. It took me just as long to get to their terminal from Manhattan as it did to get to Manhattan from Center City. Ridiculous. I don't understand why anyone from Philly uses JFK over PHL, EWR or BWI. Heck, it's even quicker to get to Dulles than it is to get to JFK.

JFK entices you with these fares that are $40 cheaper than PHL but then you spend 4 hours and $80 getting there.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,868 times
Take the subway to the bolt bus, chinatown bus, or megabus is the absolute cheapest I believe. Like 2 bucks for the subway to the bus station, 7 dollars for the bus, then another 2 dollars for the subway to JFK. Around 10 dollars total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia