Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:14 AM

2 posts, read 101,436 times

Advertisements

I have a friend coming from overseas and lwill land at Phily. She needs a way to transport from Phily(City) to JFK airport. Is there a shuttle bus that she can take? or what about the train?

She doesn't speak/understand English, so I have to find an easy way for her. A direct shuttle bus is ideal, but I don't know if there is any departing from Phily.

Thanks,

R9

Old 02-04-2008, 08:44 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
A not too expensive way is to take the subway from the airport to 30th street station, and then a Bieber bus Bieber Tours - Home to NYC (Port Authority) and then a bus direct to JFK JFK Listing of Ground Transportation Services (broken link)

Here is PHL's ground transportation page for more options: Philadelphia International Airport - Ground Transportation (http://www.phl.org/ground_transportation.html - broken link)

Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
The easiest option would be:

1) Take Amtrak from Philadelphia 30th Street Station to New York Penn Station (in midtown Manhattan).
2) Take any Long Island Railroad line train (EXCEPT THE PORT WASHINGTON BRANCH) from Penn Station to Jamaica Station in Queens.
3) Take the AirTrain JFK from Jamaica Station to JFK Airport.

Alternatively, another option would be:

1) Take a Greyhound or Peter Pan bus from the Philadelphia Greyhound Terminal (at 1001 Filbert Street, immediately north of Market East Station) to the New York Port Authority Bus Terminal (in midtown Manhattan).
2) Take a NY Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) JFK Airport bus to JFK. (I'm not familiar with this service, but according to a recent print copy of the NY MTA rail system map, it exists.) I know Trans-Bridge Bus Lines also has buses that stop at both the Port Authority Bus Terminal and JFK Airport, but I'm unsure if they'd allow people to travel that short trip on their buses.

Option A would almost definitely be quicker, while Option B would definitely be cheaper.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
What language does your friend speak?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:32 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,526,366 times
However, Amtrak is not the only option for getting to New York. One alternative, also available at 30th Street, is to take the SEPTA R7 train (pdf) to Trenton, where you can connect with NJ Transit to NYC's Penn Station. Combined tickets for this trip can be purchased from machines in 30th Street Station.

There are a few ways to get to AirTrain from New Jersey. Here are the most direct routes: • Take a NJ TRANSIT® or Amtrak® train to New York Penn Station.

• At New York Penn Station, take an LIRR train to Jamaica Station. Not every train stops at Jamaica Station, so be sure to refer to an LIRR schedule

Or, • At New York Penn Station, take the E subway to the Sutphin Blvd-Archer Ave stop.

How To Transfer To AirTrain At Jamaica Station

When you exit the LIRR at Jamaica Station or the subway at the Sutphin Blvd-Archer Ave stop, follow the signs for AirTrain. You will go up one level from the LIRR platform and several levels from the subway platform, then pass through the fare gates and onto the AirTrain platform. It takes approximately 5 minutes to get from the LIRR or subway platforms to AirTrain. Take a virtual tour of the station now.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Newmarlig, Your suggestion of a direct shuttle sounds like the perfect solution for someone that is jet lagged and doesn't speak the language. My daughter flew home from China a couple of weeks ago and took two buses to get here. For her, an American that knew what she was doing and is very well traveled it was not that smooth. She missed her second bus by just a few minutes and got home two hours later then we had hoped. Any trip that has multiple connections also has multiple chances of missed connections.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:29 PM

47 posts, read 270,901 times
Agreed. At the very least I'd shell out for Amtrak to get to Penn Station rather than take Septa/NJT...too much chance for confusion at Trenton with the language issue. Trouble is once you're at Penn, aside from a pricey ($70-100 I think?) cab ride there's not really a direct way to JFK (the LIRR with transfer at Jamaica to the AirTrain is about the best way). So I'd definitely investigate the shuttle NewMarlig posted.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:43 AM

165 posts, read 812,143 times
If she wants to save money, she can take the Chinatown bus from Philly (near Market East Septa). They leave every hour on the hour for $10. It takes 2 hours to get to NYC. One block away from the bus stop in NYC, take F subway line to Brooklyn, transfer to the A to JFK airport. Total trip cost $17. Total travel time - I would allow 3-4 hours to be safe. 3 hours would be the fastest you could make it.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:32 PM

Did you read the part about her not speaking English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia