Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,762 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a 31yr old female and I'm about to move to philly for a job in Newtown Square. I currently live in the Central Galleria area of Houston, so I'm used to driving but I don't really like hour commutes. I'm also spoiled bc outside rush hour I have great shopping nearby and any kind of restaurant/grocery store I could ever want within 15 min or so(non-rush hour) I'm not used to walking bc no one walks anywhere in Houston, but the idea is cool. I'd like to also have a place with dog friendly people or good places to take my dog.
I know ill be working decently long hours. I like being active and outside in my free time. I am a crossfitter but thats not going to dictate where I move to. I want to find somewhere with restaurants, shops, some bars but i'm not a huge drinker anymore, decent young professional 25-35 demographics and lgbt friendly as my long term gf will be joining me in a few months. That being said relativity to the airport would be decent within an hour ideally bc we'll be flying a lot but thats not a deal breaker.

Some of my future co-workers have suggested Media, Swarthmore, Adrmore, West Chester(seems far), Conshohocken, King of Prussia. Being near the mainline rail and its easy access to downtown seems appealing to me but I keep hearing about snobbery? I live in a very high end area of Houston, but people are still nice even if one person drives a buggoti and the other is in a ford.

Anyone have any recommendations or reviews on commutes? I know ultimately i have to just visit these places but I'm totally newbie to Philly. Also are any of these included in the extra philly tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 12:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta713 View Post
Hi I'm a 31yr old female and I'm about to move to philly for a job in Newtown Square. I currently live in the Central Galleria area of Houston, so I'm used to driving but I don't really like hour commutes. I'm also spoiled bc outside rush hour I have great shopping nearby and any kind of restaurant/grocery store I could ever want within 15 min or so(non-rush hour) I'm not used to walking bc no one walks anywhere in Houston, but the idea is cool. I'd like to also have a place with dog friendly people or good places to take my dog.
I know ill be working decently long hours. I like being active and outside in my free time. I am a crossfitter but thats not going to dictate where I move to. I want to find somewhere with restaurants, shops, some bars but i'm not a huge drinker anymore, decent young professional 25-35 demographics and lgbt friendly as my long term gf will be joining me in a few months. That being said relativity to the airport would be decent within an hour ideally bc we'll be flying a lot but thats not a deal breaker.

Some of my future co-workers have suggested Media, Swarthmore, Adrmore, West Chester(seems far), Conshohocken, King of Prussia. Being near the mainline rail and its easy access to downtown seems appealing to me but I keep hearing about snobbery? I live in a very high end area of Houston, but people are still nice even if one person drives a buggoti and the other is in a ford.

Anyone have any recommendations or reviews on commutes? I know ultimately i have to just visit these places but I'm totally newbie to Philly. Also are any of these included in the extra philly tax?
Try to get a 6 month lease near work. Check out the Main Line & the PATCO corridor. If your girlfriend ends up with a job in Center City, look more at the PATCO corridor. NJ lets you write off the City Wage tax. If neither of you is working in the city, pick whichever area you prefer. Both give you better airport access than being north of the city. NJ has a reciprocal taxing agreement with PA so your NJ taxes would be withheld, not the PA taxes.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:26 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Try to get a 6 month lease near work. Check out the Main Line & the PATCO corridor. If your girlfriend ends up with a job in Center City, look more at the PATCO corridor. NJ lets you write off the City Wage tax. If neither of you is working in the city, pick whichever area you prefer. Both give you better airport access than being north of the city. NJ has a reciprocal taxing agreement with PA so your NJ taxes would be withheld, not the PA taxes.
Newtown Square would be a killer commute from South Jersey.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Newtown Square would be a killer commute from South Jersey.
It would vary depending on which bridge was used. I wouldn't recommend the bridges south of the Betsy Ross for the OP's work commute. The Tacony would probably be better than the Betsy Ross. It's not bad to get to any of the northern bridges, including the Burlington-Bristol. Someone suggested West Chester to her. Does that seem better to you?

I simply suggested looking. If they like the 24/7 access of PATCO better than commuter rail that could play into a decision. If neither of them are working in Philadelphia they should probably stay in PA, but I already said that. I commuted straight through the city to WCAU & WPHL for many years. I worked & reworked the numbers & it was never worth moving across the river. That wage tax credit never made it worthwhile to move to PA & lose it, for me.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:21 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
It would vary depending on which bridge was used. I wouldn't recommend the bridges south of the Betsy Ross for the OP's work commute. The Tacony would probably be better than the Betsy Ross. It's not bad to get to any of the northern bridges, including the Burlington-Bristol. Someone suggested West Chester to her. Does that seem better to you?

I simply suggested looking. If they like the 24/7 access of PATCO better than commuter rail that could play into a decision. If neither of them are working in Philadelphia they should probably stay in PA, but I already said that. I commuted straight through the city to WCAU & WPHL for many years. I worked & reworked the numbers & it was never worth moving across the river. That wage tax credit never made it worthwhile to move to PA & lose it, for me.
West Chester to Newtown Square? Absolutely. I'm not getting into the wage tax offset because the possibility of saving a few bucks that's basically eaten up by otherwise higher taxes isn't worth all that added time spent on the road.

Old 12-19-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
West Chester to Newtown Square? Absolutely. I'm not getting into the wage tax offset because the possibility of saving a few bucks that's basically eaten up by otherwise higher taxes isn't worth all that added time spent on the road.
They're renting. I suggested renting close to work to start. Want to have a problem with that, too? I don't know & neither do you, where the girlfriend will be working.

People have different circumstances & desires. I could never get the numbers to work out to move to PA to save gas money & lose the tax credit. If neither of them works in Philadelphia then it would make no sense to look across the river. I threw out a suggestion based on a fluid situation. If the girlfriend ends up working in Center City it breaks down to hours. If it's an unconventional schedule then you're dealing with gas & parking plus the wage tax. Having worked unconventional schedules I am very much aware that they don't always work with commuter rail.

I'm not going to waste any more time with this. I threw out a suggestion that might or might not work for the OP. I made that clear from the beginning. You aren't giving her suggestions, just attacking mine.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:28 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,042,401 times
I believe those wanting any resemblance of the unique philly city life and a compromise to the commute live in manayunk (for newtown square). You could either leave your car parked at a regional rail station or 69th station and take a train / car combo to work in you wanted to live in center city.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:52 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
NJ lets you write off the City Wage tax.
NJ & Newtown Square is a real bad commute mix. I would want no parts of that.

West Chester to Newtown Square commute is a breeze via route 3. West Chester is not as isolated as it would appear, its an easy car ride(15 minutes)to Newtown Square, Concordville/Chadds Ford(shopping)Downingtown/Exton(shopping) King of Prussia)Shopping and the Main Line towns.

Media is a nice walkable small town but the only problem imo is that it lacks in newer apartments, lots of 50 year old brick apartment buildings.

Concordville/Chadds Ford is booming with new housing/apartments/townhomes/shopping.Close enough of a commute to Newtown Square but its autocentric.

Outdoorsy stuff, walking the dog I would recommend Ridley Creek State Park.

King of Prussia also an option the mecca of shopping in the Philadelphia area.Nearby Valley Forge gives you even more housing options.

Main Line Towns would work for you as well .I'd suggest Wayne,Berwyn,Devon,Bryn Mawr,Ardmore

And none of the above mentioned come into play concerning the Philadelphia Wage Tax. Each community does impose a 1%-2% employment tax as opposed to Philadelphias 4.5% wage tax.

Good luck.

Last edited by rainrock; 12-19-2015 at 06:02 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 05:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I believe those wanting any resemblance of the unique philly city life and a compromise to the commute live in manayunk (for newtown square). You could either leave your car parked at a regional rail station or 69th station and take a train / car combo to work in you wanted to live in center city.
If you are moving from across the country you may as well just move to Center City if city life is a priority.
Manayunk is a nice neighborhood to live but I wouldnt move across country to live there.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,755,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta713 View Post

There are open LGBT posters on this board. I'm one one of them. In fact one of those poster, Pine-to-Vine, lived in Houston for over 20 years. His advice, if he gives it, will be very valuable to you.

If the tax you are talking about is the city wage tax, if you live and work in the suburbs it won't affect you.

Philadelphia is pretty LGBT friendly so that shouldn't be a thing to be too concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia