U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 PM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver0729 View Post
not so much with Philly, this forum for the city just does not have the involvement like other cities.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-03-2008 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Careful.... we don't advertise competiting sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 07:03 AM

33,069 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Blue Route I-476 which runs N-S about 10 miles west of Philly is one of the best designed highways in the country. Its about a nice as a highway as you will ever fine, especially in the northeast.
That narrow, bumpy, scary thing? With acceleration and deceleration lanes no longer than three or four car lengths? Or toward the south end where it inexplicably goes from three lanes to two? It's about a nice a highway as you'll find around Philadelphia, but that's about it!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That narrow, bumpy, scary thing? With acceleration and deceleration lanes no longer than three or four car lengths? Or toward the south end where it inexplicably goes from three lanes to two? It's about a nice a highway as you'll find around Philadelphia, but that's about it!

What acceleration lane on the Blue Route is 4 car lengths? Come on now, don't judge the highway so harshly just b/c it's in PA. I've never had a problem merging on or off that highway.

Now, your 3-to-2 lane comment is on point.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:17 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Keep in mind the tremendous public resentment for a highway being built right through the wealthy suburbs of this region, its narrow for a reason. The Blue Route is fairly new by modern standards (finished in 1991)and was meant to act more as a parkway than highway. Its amazing that it even got off the ground, I heard some horror stories what it was like getting from the airport to King of Prussia before the Blue Route was built. Its a very well designed thoroughfare all things considered.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Quote:
Keep in mind the tremendous public resentment for a highway being built right through the wealthy suburbs of this region, its narrow for a reason. The Blue Route is fairly new by modern standards (finished in 1991)and was meant to act more as a parkway than highway. Its amazing that it even got off the ground, I heard some horror stories what it was like getting from the airport to King of Prussia before the Blue Route was built. Its a very well designed thoroughfare all things considered.
That being said, Ohiogirl's point is a good one, that the highway should not drop to 2 lanes. Only in PA. It's ridiculous, actually, but yes, it's better to have the Blue Route as it is than not at all. Some parts of the country have embraced the concept that highways drive home prices up, and that it's a good thing to live near infrastructure. However, the liberals in Media and Swarthmore had a hard time accepting that.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM

232 posts, read 663,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
Bostongirl

My wife and I are looking to move from Charlotte to either PA or NE marlyland. My wifes company is headquarterred in Wilmington DE. We have been ion Charlotte almost a year and there are some things that she likes. I on the other hand like very little and pretty much cant stand it here. Are there any decent towns that affordable housing can be obtained (under 250K) that are low in crime and relatively close commute to Wilmington DE (45 min or less). thanks for your help
Hi, sorry I wish I could answer your questions, I am not familiar with that part of DE........

Old 03-05-2008, 09:25 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Um the Blue Route was designed in the 50's and not implemented til the 80's...it was undersized before it was built and the 2 lane jobby through Swarthmore to save Crum Creek further adds to the congestion.

I'm pretty darned sure the Blue Route hasn't won any design or ingenuity awards in the Northeast or anywhere else. I've driven on some parkways in the Maryland/DC area as well as Connecticut and the Blue Route ain't a parkway either...

Ever heard of the Big Dig? Now THAT'S a modern engineering marvel!

Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Um the Blue Route was designed in the 50's and not implemented til the 80's...it was undersized before it was built and the 2 lane jobby through Swarthmore to save Crum Creek further adds to the congestion.

I'm pretty darned sure the Blue Route hasn't won any design or ingenuity awards in the Northeast or anywhere else. I've driven on some parkways in the Maryland/DC area as well as Connecticut and the Blue Route ain't a parkway either...

Ever heard of the Big Dig? Now THAT'S a modern engineering marvel!
Thanks for the lesson. Nice clean cliff notes version of the Blue Route wikipedia.com. I personally would have credited the source but to each his own I suppose.

Last edited by rainrock; 03-05-2008 at 10:33 PM..

Old 03-05-2008, 10:49 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Quote:
Thanks for the lesson. Nice clean cliff notes version of the Blue Route wikipedia.com. I personally would have credited the source but to each his own I suppose.
Um since it came off the top of my head, no citation necessary, but thanks for the compliment...

Old 03-06-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Um since it came off the top of my head, no citation necessary, but thanks for the compliment...
Compliment? Wikipedia?

Hey by any chance would you be interested in some incredible waterfront property I have for sale? Its right on the Schuylkill river between the Girard Point and Plattt Bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia