U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 AM

33,066 posts, read 61,882,928 times

Advertisements

Actually, Rainrock, if you do bother to look up I-476 in Wikipedia, you'll find that the highway was planned way back in 1929. I didn't know that off the top of my head ...

Quote:
Keep in mind the tremendous public resentment for a highway being built right through the wealthy suburbs of this region, its narrow for a reason.
Yes, and if had been built through a less affluent area, it would be six lanes on both sides, wouldn't it? Ah, well ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,770,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Yes, and if had been built through a less affluent area, it would be six lanes on both sides, wouldn't it? Ah, well ...
The Blue Routes goal imo was to increase traffic flow but maybe more importantly the Blue Route was meant to spur economic development in the quaint western suburbs. It seemed to accomplish both those goals very proficiently as Chester County,Montgomery,and western Delaware County have grown about 30% since the Blue Route came into existence. Sure they probably could have force fed us an ugly 8 lane straight,boring, super highway but they chose to respect the quaintness of pre existing towns. So you got a pleasant 6 lane highway and in certain cases 4 lane expressway.

I'm elated that we dont have an automaniacal extension of I-95 plowing through Swarthmore,Marple,Radnor,Gulph Mills.

Last edited by rainrock; 03-06-2008 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-06-2008, 10:16 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,289,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Blue Routes goal imo was to increase traffic flow but maybe more importantly the Blue Route was meant to spur economic development in the quaint western suburbs. It seemed to accomplish both those goals very proficiently as Chester County,Montgomery,and western Delaware County have grown about 30% since the Blue Route came into existence. Sure they probably could have force fed us an ugly 8 lane straight,boring, super highway but they chose to respect the quaintness of pre existing towns. So you got a pleasant 6 lane highway and in certain cases 4 lane expressway.

I'm elated that we dont have an automaniacal extension of I-95 plowing through Swarthmore,Marple,Radnor,Gulph Mills.
Rainrock, I usually agree with you, but here I must disagree. This region suffers from a plethora of inadequate highways. The Blue Route was another one to add to the list. It's designed well, and it's nice b/c it has no billboards, but we can't be judging highways by how "pleasant" they are. A highway can be pleasant, but it should be sufficient. It is the former, not the latter.

My issue is that it's 4 lanes. That's ridiculous, and has more to do with the small-mindedness of the vocal local yokels who feared that a big-bad 6-lane interstate would crush their quality of life. This region is to blame for fighting a legitimate highway way back when, and we are to blame now for not demanding that the highways is widened ASAP. It's apparent that the bridges on the 2 lane sections of the Blue Route are wide enough to handle an additional lane; I'm sure PennRot had this in mind when they built the thing.

It's interesting that property values in many of the communities have skyrocketed since the completion of the Blue Route. One element of being a world-class region is having world-class infrastructure. We fail this requirement.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,225 times
I agree ^^^. The Blue route fails miserably when it narrows to 4 lanes below havertown exit. I think the people from Marple down to Ridley can hear MORE traffic noise, since there's such a slowdown every single morning and night during the rushhours.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,964,834 times
The goal of the Blue Route was to connect the PA Turnpike with I-95 so truckers could more easily get their stuff to the I-95 corridor, pick up at the docks and take it back west more easily. Added benefit was for commuters to be able to get to the airport/95 or the turnpike much more easily.

Swarthmore put up a stink about the highway endangering Crum Creek and would only agree to 4 lanes through their township. I did read on wikipedia (figured I'd check it out since I was accused of stealing from it) that locals now wish to have the highway expanded to 6 lanes throughout...not sure how true that is though...

Old 03-07-2008, 04:46 PM

The goal of the blue route was to allleviate the overstressed state roads like 320,420,202 + 252 and to spur economic development in the local counties. The politicians of Swarthmore,Springfield,Radnor didnt give their ok for this project to help out truckers.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,964,834 times
Per Mid-County Expressway-Blue Route (I-476)

"In 1929, regional officials in Philadelphia's western suburbs proposed a circumferential highway that was to connect the Valley Forge area with the industrial seaport of Chester. The highway would not only allow traffic to bypass the city of Philadelphia, but also take traffic off less direct local roads such as PA 252, PA 320 and PA 420."

"As traffic volumes increased after World War II, transportation officials revived the circumferential highway proposal. In addition to providing improved access through Philadelphia's western suburbs, the expressway was hailed as a potential savior for the city of Chester, which had experienced widespread poverty following the collapse of the shipbuilding industry after World War II. The expressway would provide the necessary truck link between Philadelphia International Airport and proposed seaport facilities in Chester to the south, and the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the north. "

When this was originally conceived, there weren't that many cars on the road...but there was a need to transport goods to Chester and points south and west...

Old 03-07-2008, 09:45 PM

55 posts, read 174,513 times
definately a great selection of a wide variety of international cuisines.. I use to live in Haverford.. in PA, which I enjoyed.. I'm sure the housing market... depending where you choose is a little more expensive up north.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:48 PM

12,767 posts, read 28,903,003 times
hmmm, what was the original question?

"I am considering a move from the Raleigh NC area to a suburb of Philadelphia. Has anyone else done the same or opposite? Which area do you like better and why? I don't know too much about the Philly job market. It's pretty good here in Raleigh, which could be a concern. The housing prices are good here, which could be another concern in PA. Any feedback will be appreciated!"

Nothing about the Blue Route in there at all.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 AM

The Blue Route had alot of good intentions including truckers but improving the infrastructure for people who live here every day was arguably the main goal. Before the Blue Route was built there were 4 or 5 million people driving around on clogged roads that were originally old horse trails. This area desperately needed an expressway for its citizens. If it was meant to be simply a bypass for truckers it probably would have been built 20 miles west of its present location.

The highway would not only allow traffic to bypass the city of Philadelphia, but a main goal was to take traffic off less direct local roads such as PA 252, PA 320 and PA 420. These narrow roads were laid as early as the 1680's by some of Pennsylvania's earliest settlers, who placed them midway between the creeks that flowed south to the Delaware River for the convenience of farmers who settled along the streams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia