U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 49,758 times

Advertisements

WHAT?!! Rolling hills and horse farms are something you simply won't find in Raleigh, NC. No offense but people from the North tend to think that the South is rural and farm-like. Yes that is the case in the outer counties of NC but there's nothing about Raleigh that's rural, especially today. I've been to NY and NJ and even PA and have observed much more farm-like, rural areas there than Raleigh, NC. Raleigh is also a very beautiful city because it boasts impeccably manicured lawns and roadways with gorgeous plantings in the medians and even the shopping centers that are tucked away behind lush green trees. Raleigh is also a very modern city and a bit fast paced these days with an abundance of high-tech business and highly educated residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:50 PM

282 posts, read 778,724 times
Well - I'm guess I'm one of the "opposites". I'm in the process of moving away from Philly. Mostly needed a change of pace, and the 1+ hour commutes each way daily were killing me. I like the balance I'm finding in Raleigh, so it works for me.

No one place is perfect - it's a matter of finding a pond that works for you and, well - working it.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:19 PM

266 posts, read 1,121,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
Bostongirl

My wife and I are looking to move from Charlotte to either PA or NE marlyland. My wifes company is headquarterred in Wilmington DE. We have been ion Charlotte almost a year and there are some things that she likes. I on the other hand like very little and pretty much cant stand it here. Are there any decent towns that affordable housing can be obtained (under 250K) that are low in crime and relatively close commute to Wilmington DE (45 min or less). thanks for your help
Do not move to Wilmington, its not safe. But suburbs of Wilmington very affortable housing and safe. Or consider Delaware county across the border in PA. Or maybe even moving into Center city Philly. If you look hard enough you can experience living in a major city at an affortable price. Like areas like Queen Village (alot of young couples)Driving to Wilmington is only 25 minutes on I-95.

Philly's housing has skyrocketed in recent years but its still very affortable compared to other major cities like Washingto DC, NYC, Boston, infact so many New Yorkers have settled in this area in recent years. They just hop on the NJ transit and go to work in NYC. Philly has alot to offer, I think very underrated always being unfairly compared to New York City. NYC is three times the size!
Philly always reminds me of mini NYC, its very diverse, third largest center city area after NYC and Chicago, you can walk just about everywhere in center city, good public transit system too.World class restaurants ($$$ LeBec Fin, Suzanna Foo's, the Palm),Philadelphia Art Museum is world class(you know where Rocky ran up the steps, that whole area reminds me of mini Champ-Elysees in Paris minues the shops and restaurants)The Barn's Foundation will soon be moving to Philly from its current suburb location (which has one of the largest French impressionist paintings)The Rodin museum, Mutter's museum,Franklin institute. Alot of parades and festivals during the summer, the best and largest Fourth of July festival lasting I believe for three days. Or if you're young and hip chii out at Olde City area during warm nights tons of bars and clubs or head up to RittenHouse area's night scene.
I would avoid South Street during the summer NIGHTS only like after 8 pm way over crowded with wannabes strolling the street with no destination but to gawk at girl. But there are tons of police presence.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,521,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Yes, certain (and I repeat, certain) suburbs of Philadelphia have remained less undeveloped. But most are fairly developed, and there are traces of suburban sprawl in pretty much all directions for 30-40 miles.

The job market here is pretty good, I think. Our economy doesn't add jobs like other places in the country, but it does add jobs, and it also weathers downturns very well because of the diversity of the economy.
How do taxesvary from county to county versus city? Income tax? Other state taxes? Are you heavily taxed?

Old 03-20-2008, 10:54 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
How do taxesvary from county to county versus city? Income tax? Other state taxes? Are you heavily taxed?
Philly charges a wage tax to all residents and others who work within the city. Philly also adds a 1% sales tax on top of the state's 6%. I don't believe there is any other income tax beyond the state's flat 2.8%. Of course, property taxes can differ by municipality. The idea of high taxation is in the eye of the beholder but there is a perception that other surrounding states like NJ, NY and MD have higher taxes. DE has no sales tax but they get you back with a high income tax.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 23,436 times
For those looking for some information on Montgomery County, please feel free to ask away. Lived there 21 years -- born and raised. My family still lives there and only 1 member of my family moved to philly - he moved to manayunk and owns his own company. He's 33 and will be a millionare in within the next 2 years. Both of my parents work for Lockheed Martin in King of Prussia and my other brother went to PSU main campus and now is getting a job at Lockheed Martin as well. The houses are nice, we live right by the Sanatoga exit from 422 so we have easy access to the highway. We have a lot of land and a beautiful home. Across from my neighborhood, they did tear down a lot of trees and built up another neighborhood so I feel the pain in the not-so-scenic aspect. Let me know if you have any questions -- I am finishing college in York PA, and after graduation, I will be moving to Wilmington NC -- so any kind of info on that would be great. We can swap if you would like! ;-) Good luck.

BTW - everyone else, start your own thread on the blue root or exchange e-mails if you want to argue about it. Thanks guys.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:59 AM

82 posts, read 178,499 times
Occasionally I toy with the idea, but I can't fully imagine leaving PA. I think living in the Philadelphia area seeps into you, and you stop knowing any other way. Besides, I like the weather in this region. Not too hot, not too cold.

The pendulum will swing the other way. A lot of the areas people from NE and CA started fleeing to are now just as expensive as the places they left. Like Florida and Phoenix. People had to get away from the snow, wanted a cheap house. Now they're complaining how hot and expensive Florida and Phoenix now are and moving to NC. LOL. I'm largely content to stay put and watch everyone else race around the country looking for cheap housing. If enough people leave, maybe Philadelphia will finally become affordable again.

I live in an area of Chester County where there really are rolling hills. It's expensive as all get out, and the people are snobs. I have no interest in a luxury "cross-over" or organic apples, so I don't really fit in. And who knows when we'll be able to get a single family home. But living here really has largely spoiled me for anything else.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:02 AM

28 posts, read 94,580 times
BabyBluEyes, I actually lived in Wilmington NC for about 1 year. I have mixed feeling about that area. Personally, it was not for me and I was very happy to leave. The job market is VERY difficult. It took me 5 months to find a job and it was very low paying. I do have a BA, by the way. If I wasn't married, I would not have survived. Most of the population is retirees and college students. On the other side, you will be right by the beach! Many people love Wilmington...I think I am in the minority!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:41 PM

237 posts, read 786,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterFly32 View Post
It sounds like you have the wrong impression of the Raleigh area. It is not laid back, rolling hills, no traffic...not where I am at least. It is very over-crowded and the roads were not built for this many people, so there are traffic problems. I actually think that NC and PA have a lot in common, there are overpopulated areas, but you can dive an hour or so and be in the country! I would like to be back in the north though
Butterfly

Right there with you. My wife and I moved from NY to Charlotte. We looked alot and wanted to move to Cary, but the homes were more expensive in Cary, and the job was found in Charlotte so here we are. Currently lookin gin PA to be closer to home but still live in a place that we can afford. Charlotte and Raleigh are the same for traffic, but cary and most of raleigh with the exception of durham, has much less crime than charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia