Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:29 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyp61 View Post
Awesome, you guys are the best! Looked up Lucky's Last Chance a few weeks ago and am really looking forward to it! If I remember correctly, they offer brunch specials, which sounded amazing.

That bums me about the coffee shops, but, oh well. We'll be sure to check out as many places as we can.

Also, how it is for conveniences there such as like, a drugstore, grocery stores, etc.? And what are hours of operation? And on top of that, where are the closer larger grocery stores like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Wegman's?

Thanks so much!
Oh yes, Lucky's has an awesome brunch as well!

There unfortunately isn't a full service grocery store in Manayunk. But there is a small market (Palm Tree Market) that is good for picking up a few things - boxed and canned items (pasta, rice, Chinese specialties), frozen items, snacks, eggs, various cheeses and deli items (they make great sandwiches), milk, some limited produce and baked items, etc. It's under the railroad tracks on Cresson.

Two drugstores nearby, both CVS - one is closer to Wissahickon station off Main St and the other is just over the bridge at the corner of Belmont and Rock Hill. There's also a Wawa just over the bridge as well.

Ahhh Wegmans, you're after my heart. Closest one is 20min away I tried out a bunch of different grocery stores since I was trying to find something similar to Weggies. I shop at the Acme in Bala Cynwyd - take Green/Belmont over the bridge until you hit City Line Ave and it's right in that plaza.

Closest Trader Joe's is in Ardmore and closest Whole Foods is right next to Ardmore in Wynnewood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 08:39 AM

33 posts, read 66,605 times
Hey, 20 min is better than in North Carolina! Our closest is in VA.. so no Wegman's shopping for 2 years for us. It's our favorite grocery.

Are the hours normal for the CVSs? Like, at least until 9pm? The one downtown here closes at like 6pm. I can't imagine being sick and needing to run there for something, and it closes at 6. And I know the one in CC closes early, but due to crime I totally understand why lol.

We are in the suburbs down in NC, so the grocery stores are all about a 15 minute drive each direction anyways. We also have a driveway here, so yeah... can imagine that being different in Manayunk... but if we can get a spot in a lot it'll be fine!

I miss Wawa none of those here either!

We are a little bit of health nuts so that's why I ask, but Acme is doing a really good job of incorporating organics, etc. into their stores, so that might work well for us.

Thanks again!

Old 03-10-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Hey, 20 min is better than in North Carolina! Our closest is in VA.. so no Wegman's shopping for 2 years for us. It's our favorite grocery.

Are the hours normal for the CVSs? Like, at least until 9pm? The one downtown here closes at like 6pm. I can't imagine being sick and needing to run there for something, and it closes at 6. And I know the one in CC closes early, but due to crime I totally understand why lol.

We are in the suburbs down in NC, so the grocery stores are all about a 15 minute drive each direction anyways. We also have a driveway here, so yeah... can imagine that being different in Manayunk... but if we can get a spot in a lot it'll be fine!

I miss Wawa none of those here either!

We are a little bit of health nuts so that's why I ask, but Acme is doing a really good job of incorporating organics, etc. into their stores, so that might work well for us.

Thanks again!
Ah ok, well the Wegmans is in KOP. I've actually never been to it before, but I have been to the one in Cherry Hill NJ.

And yes both those CVS are normal hours, pharmacy until 9pm and store until 10pm.

Yeah this Acme has a whole organic section - not as big as Wegmans, but it's definitely decent. And they also do a hot and cold food bar area as well. Again, not anywhere close to as expansive as Wegmans but it's definitely better than some of the other grocery stores. I had tried out Shoprite, Pathmark, and some others I can't think of and absolutely hated them (I never realized that Wegmans turned me into a grocery store snob! lol!)

Old 03-16-2016, 05:06 PM

So. Visited, and love it! Very nice, cute town. Lucky's Last Chance is awesome! We're hoping to visit again within 3-4 weeks.

Also, loved Palm Tree Market, really great selection of organic brands we already buy. Obviously pricier because of the convenience, but it's really nice to have.

I'm also wondering, I noticed a lot of workout/gyms there that say they offer nutrition services. Has anyone had experience with using any of the ones offered? I'm in school to be a health coach, and that might be a good option for me to get started there. And also, has anyone checked out the yoga classes? And the kickboxing classes? You can tell I'm excited about all the things downtown! Thanks!!

Old 03-16-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
So. Visited, and love it! Very nice, cute town. Lucky's Last Chance is awesome! We're hoping to visit again within 3-4 weeks.

Also, loved Palm Tree Market, really great selection of organic brands we already buy. Obviously pricier because of the convenience, but it's really nice to have.

I'm also wondering, I noticed a lot of workout/gyms there that say they offer nutrition services. Has anyone had experience with using any of the ones offered? I'm in school to be a health coach, and that might be a good option for me to get started there. And also, has anyone checked out the yoga classes? And the kickboxing classes? You can tell I'm excited about all the things downtown! Thanks!!
Glad you liked it! What'd you get at Lucky's? And what other places did you check out? I'm right near Palm Tree so having it so close has saved me on multiple occasions when I'm just out of one or two things and don't want to go all the way to the grocery store.

I haven't personally gone to any of the gyms but my one friend goes to the yoga studio and likes it. Another friend that used to live here went to the rowing studio and I think she tried the biking one once as well and liked them both. There's definitely quite a plethora of gym options, plus you've got the river trail if you just want some casual running. Manayunk is a HUGE biking neighborhood so you will see the hardcore bikers out very frequently.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:07 PM

We got brunch at Lucky's! I got the sausage gravy with biscuits from Sweet Elizabeth's -- insanely good, and my fiance got the Bananas Foster French Toast.. again, delicious. It was a shame we didn't get to grab a beer at any of the bars there, but we did check a lot of them out. Lucky's seems like we would frequent it the most out of all of them.

We did have our two young pups with us so we checked out the Tow Path as well which was nice. We went up to Wissahickon, but it was such crappy weather and we were too tired for a hike, so we just drove through to see it.

The Spiral Bookcase is an adorable shop, and so is their cat. We had lunch one day at Sorrentino's, which was great. Checked out the science store and The Little Apple. Also, had the best coffee at Volo. It makes it worth it that it closes early! Met the woman who owns the yarn/knitting shop next door as well. (She was obsessed with our puppies and had to come out and meet them lol! Along with everyone else on the street!). So definitely got to see how dog-friendly the town was along with how much people there really love animals. We also checked out Nadeau.

I'm also wondering, how are the holidays there? We are avid Halloweeners, and in Raleigh it's absolutely depressing around Halloween, and Christmas as well. Is it like slutty Halloween with the college kids around or is it actually entertaining? Surrounding areas would be fine for these things too. And also, concerning Halloween, is there anywhere nearby for pumpkin picking/hay rides/corn maze, etc. (I know, we act like we're 5, but we love corny things like this!).

We saw Animedic there, and saw they had good reviews. Where do you take your dogs to the vet? Is there a really good emergency vet nearby?

Have you been to the movie theater and diner? How are they?

Just realized I asked a million more questions! I'm sorry, I'm just excited about the area I guess lol.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:32 AM

Wow, sounds like you had a great trip!! Glad you enjoyed Lucky's so much! Sweet Elizabeth's is awesome and they partner with Lucky's for a bunch of things... they did a cocktail and dessert pairing a few months ago that was amazing!

lol Amelia the cat at Spiral Bookcase is adorable, I love her!! haha I forgot to mention Sorrentino's, glad you checked it out - super ghetto, but awesome cheesesteaks! The Little Apple is my absolute favorite store in Manayunk, I usually get Xmas gifts there every year. Was Betty the dog there? Sometimes I go in just to see her! The science store is super fun, I got my Dad an awesome solar system paperweight from there last year (it was in the upstairs section). Glad you got to see how friendly *and* animal-friendly the neighborhood is

Ok, holidays. I'll be honest, I tend to not do anything for Halloween. Various bars have events and whatnot and yeah they usually cater to the get dressed up crowd. They do a day of trick or treating and events for Halloween though (Halloween In Manayunk - Manayunk.com). They also have events going on throughout the holidays as well (Holidays In Manayunk - Manayunk.com). They get all the stores involved and do a window decorating contest - they had ones for both Halloween and Christmas last year and those were a lot of fun to see as you're walking down Main St. I'm sure there's gotta be fall activities around, I just haven't done them.

I haven't used Animedic and there is a vet on Main St you likely walked by... but I've heard bad reviews about that place and I've lived here for over 2 years and have never once seen that place open. I was taking my dogs to a nonprofit place but the amount of money I was saving wasn't worth the drive to far NE Philly. I have a closer vet here and just started taking them to her full time. My crew sees Dr. Stetz at Narberth Animal Hospital (Welcome). It's a great small local vet with just the one doctor. I like going there because she has weeknight and weekend hours - she actually lives upstairs from the office so that allows her the extended hours. Her prices are reasonable and she's a great vet! I thankfully haven't had to use an e-vet here as when I do have issues, Narberth is usually open anyway. But if I did need an e-vet, I'd take them to UPenn for sure.

I actually haven't been to that movie theater or the diner - I think the diner may be closed now and/or reopening under new owners from what I've heard.

I'm glad to answer any other questions you have, so feel free to post more or PM me

Old 03-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Whoops! Forgot to reply!

No, Betty the dog was not there that day, but I did notice the dog bed! And thank you for the vet advice. That's obviously a big deal to us, so I'm happy there are so many options available. UPenn is a great idea as well.

Another question I had is actually for you, more so about dogs of course than Manayunk. So you have 3 if I remember correctly. We are going forward with buying a home in Manayunk, about 3 blocks from Main St. Great location, but there's only a little garden and a private fenced in alley for outdoor space. There's a deck, but I'm only counting available 'poop' space lol. Not sure the outdoor space you have available, but I'm just wondering how that works out for you personally. Do you find it manageable there to be able to walk them enough/take to the dog park when you have 3 of them? We've had a townhouse before, but no fenced area for them to go, and it was a very deep suburban area, so nowhere to walk really or a dog park nearby. It sucked. They didn't seem to mind, but we felt terrible about it. I realize how accessible Manayunk is for dogs, I guess I'm just trying to justify the fenced in area in regards to you have the whole city to walk them, and dog parks.

Oh, and where is the closest dog store for food, etc.? I think I saw there's one in Chestnut Hill. Not sure if you're familiar with raw dog food, but that's what I usually feed mine, so I'm wondering if possibly there's a holistic pet store somewhere. Seems more like a downtown Philly thing though, if there is one that you know of. I really don't shop at PetSmart/Petco unless I really need something generic that won't be at the other stores.

And also, we should be up the weekend of April 9th and a few days after to check out the StrEAT festival! I'm excited. :P

Old 03-29-2016, 01:42 PM

Yep, I have 3 dogs all around 15lbs. I'm fortunate enough to have a decently sized city yard, probably around 200SF (totally guestimating here). But it's enough space that I don't *have* to take them for walks because they can run around the yard. I have started taking them for about a half hour walk in the evenings + visit to the dog park just because the weather is nicer and I'll continue to do that through the summer as long as the weather is bearable. I'm pretty accustomed to walking all 3 of mine together - 2 are on a split lead (they walk at the same pace) and my third is on his own lead since he's more of a spaz and scared of lots of stuff lol.

lol I'm no help on the dog food store - I have mine auto-delivered by Chewy.com. The first time I went to go buy dog food, I was shocked at how much higher priced it was than Syracuse area (like an additional $20 per bag!) and I was like no way am I paying this. So I found it for cheaper on Chewy and it's auto-delivered every month. I'd check it out, they carry all types of foods (I feed mine Natural Balance and get a 26lb bag delivered every 5 weeks). Or you may want to check through the manufacturer of the food you feed and see if you can find what stores carry it.

Ahhh the StrEAT food festival is aaaaamazing, you will love it! GET THERE EARLY! Like right when it starts. I'm not kidding. If you wait until noon or later, you'll be waiting an hour for food. By 2pm at the Fall fest, a lot of the trucks had run out of food! And for the love of god, take public transit because you will likely never find parking. I actually may be volunteering at it this time through the Manayunk Development Corp

Last edited by Becca8377; 03-29-2016 at 02:50 PM..

Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,356 times
Quote:
And also, concerning Halloween, is there anywhere nearby for pumpkin picking/hay rides/corn maze, etc. (I know, we act like we're 5, but we love corny things like this!).
Linvilla Orchards is perfect for this!! It's in Media, PA about a 30-45 minute drive from Manayunk. It's beautiful and so much fun! They have a ton of activities there (of course apple picking, hay rides, and corn maze) as well as a ton of great food! My favorites are the fresh apple cider donuts, blooming onion, and caramel apple dipped in dark chocolate...SO GOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia