Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 754 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I will be moving to the area for a new job this fall, and am wondering where the optimal places to live would be considering the needs of both my fiance and I.

Me: Downtown Wilmington
Her: 3 or 4 days a week to and from PHL airport for business, otherwise working from home

I have heard good things about the Chadds Ford area and West Chester, but we are trying to minimize commute time as much as possible by living closer to 95. I also know that Claymont and Chester along the 95 corridor are pretty much awful. We are not opposed to living in Delaware.
We will be renting an apartment, 1 or 2 bedroom, with a maximum budget of $1800 a month.

Thank you in advance, and please ask any questions that would be relevant to your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 06:08 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Chadds Ford , Concordville,Glen Mills sounds like a good fit. West Chester or Media if you want/need to be in a more walkable town.

Boothwyn is probably worth looking at as well, its closer to 95 and its pretty nice around Naamans Creek Road.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
I lived in West Chester and had to go to the MBNA Bank complex every day and it horrifying. Sometimes over an hour in am/pm rush hour. I tried 202, it was terrible. Finally came to a convoluted way down old Rt100 in to Greenville. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but the commute from West Chester to Wilmington is not going to be a pleasant one. West Chester is a nice (college oriented) town for sure, and maybe that stuff doesn't bother you, so might not be an issue.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:10 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
Honestly, I would just get a nice place in Wilmington. With an $1800 budget, you could easily get a 1 br, possibly 2 br, in Downtown Wilmington or even the Riverfront, which is the city's newest development. Downtown is currently gentrifying at an insane pace along Market St, as several historic buildings have been/are being converted into upscale apartments (Residences at Rodney, Wilmington Trust building, etc). The COL in Delaware will be cheaper than either the PA or NJ side, but you will still have access to both for nightlife, events, etc.

Really, the only "hiccup" to living in Wilmington and commuting to PHL will be I-95 traffic. I-95 does get congested during rush hour, particularly around the Commodore Barry Bridge when you first enter PA, but it is manageable, and unless there is a notable accident, still moves along at a decent clip (50-55). Most days you will be looking at a 20-25 minute commute to the airport, at a one-way distance of only around 21 miles or so. And getting on and off I-95 will be extremely quick from anywhere in or near Downtown Wilmington (pretty much everywhere since city limits are so small lol). The commute to PHL from West Chester will take you twice as long to go almost the same distance, so I definitely would not recommend it.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:37 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Wilmington, trolley square which is near 95. Chadds ford isn't terribly accessible to the airport and not much of a place at any rate. West chester is nice but you're adding time to the wilmington commute while not saving anything on the airport commute.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:43 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Chadds Ford , Concordville,Glen Mills sounds like a good fit. West Chester or Media if you want/need to be in a more walkable town.

Boothwyn is probably worth looking at as well, its closer to 95 and its pretty nice around Naamans Creek Road.
Rainrock, I wonder if you mean Garnet Valley instead of Boothwyn? When we lived in the area near Naamans Creek road/Booth Farmers Market, it had the mailing address of Boothwyn, but is now Garnet Valley. I would not suggest that area for youngish singles, although it was good for our family. Location-wise it would be good. I know we could make the Philly airport in less than 30 minutes.

I like the downtown Wilmington suggestion. Not a bad commute to PHL and it's always nice for at least one person to have an easy commute.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia