U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 11,593 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Chester Springs from MD. The Real Estate taxes are very high there. The realtor keeps telling me you can file for an exception. WHat are the chances that these exceptions get approved? Also, I am curious about what anybody knows about Windsor Ridge. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 AM

27 posts, read 97,181 times
Default Taxes

Don't move to a place you are not willing to pay the taxes. You know what they are ahead of time, so don't expect others to pay for you.

Personal responsibilty, people!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 PM

11 posts, read 37,278 times
Hi there!

Just to get the terms down - it is called an appeal, not exception (which is probably why mulitasker above didn't like your question). And it is totally legit when you buy new construction in our area.

Basically, you could buy a new house and be assesed at 75-95% of your final sales price. Where, everyone elses existing homes were re-assessed in 1998 and thus paying taxes based on the values at that time. Therefore, there is something called a "common level ratio". Currently, for 2007 I beleive it was about 51%. Therefore, you could appeal your taxes and if sucessful pay based on around 51% of your sales price instead.

I know many who have gone thru this process and been successful. That being said, I have not heard of anyone who have gone thru the process and lost.

Windsor Ridge is a Pulte development. I actually have a lot of experience working with that builder. They are great! If I remember correctly, I beleive they are the 3rd largest privately held in the US??

I actually loved that development and considered moving there myself. It has sort-of a 'southern feel'; front porches, small lots, various types of homes (townhomes to carriage home to singles) and a strong 'community' vibe. They are going to have a clubhouse, pool, basketball courts, trails, tot lots that I think will end up being fantastic.

Also, the immediate surrounding area is growing like crazy and Eagleview corporate center is right down the street - has grocery stores, gym, stores, places to eat, etc...Great location with tons of shopping nearby!

Good luck and I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
I lived next door to a guy who worked for Pulte...he had less than stellar things to say about their construction methods...as does a home inspector who posts on here....and if you saw my neighbor, you wouldn't be thrilled to know he worked on your house either...Chester Springs gets you a new development with snooty neighbors who have little reason to be...its like Main Line light...at least the wealthy on the lower main line have been that way for generations...the folks in Chester Springs are nouveau riche/keep up with the Joneses types...if that appeals to you, at least avoid Pulte and Orleans built homes...or just buy in Malvern, Paoli, Berwyn...or further down the main line depending on which school district you like the best (they're all excellent), how much you want to spend and how snooty you like the neighbors...

Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 PM

27 posts, read 97,181 times
Default TAxes

[quote=kimannbrooks;2821981]Hi there!

<<Just to get the terms down - it is called an appeal, not exception (which is probably why mulitasker above didn't like your question). And it is totally legit when you buy new construction in our area. >>

With all the new legislation trying to be pushed forward, involving new earned income taxes in order for the working to subsidize the real estate taxes of the elderly, it's no wonder I take exception to someone who professes to want to move into our area and then not pay the taxes.

People should either pay their own way, or move somewhere cheaper. It's not like taxes are a surprise. Don't expect me to take from my childrens' inheritance to help subsidize what you get from your parents, or what you leave to your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia