U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 AM

2,398 posts, read 5,763,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainline mom View Post
We have been very happy in a corner of Wynnewood (Lower Merion schools) called "Penn Wynne"--the area around City Line and Haverford Road.
I've really liked what I've seen in Penn Wynne, I take my son to the Manoa playground a lot, but there are no rental apartments there, only houses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,244 times
We moved to PA 5 years ago and our primary concern was our kids. We ended up buying a house that needed tons of work (so relatively affordable) in Lower Merion. While it is one of the most materialistic places we have lived (which is probably to be expected in this affluent east coast corridor) I think it's much better than the Scarsdale/Greenwich commuter areas of NY and comparable to Boston or Washington DC suburbs. We have certainly met quite a few snobs who are not interested in inviting new people into their tribe, but we have also met many fantastic people and made great friends, mainly through a very active Newcomers club.

We moved here for the public schools, and have children in middle school and high school. As in any school today there are kids who do drugs and the majority of kids who don't. On the whole I've found the standard of education to be excellent and our kids are have made good friends who seem kind, well-grounded, polite and not overly materialistic. Most importantly they seem happy.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-09-2008 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: advertising for competiting sites not allowed

Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
Default Zip Codes of T/E middle and high schools

Does any one have the zipcodes for T/E middle and high schools? I'd like to either buy a house there.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Just Google:
Berwyn
Paoli
Wayne
T/E also covers parts of Devon and Strafford, but small parts.
Its easier to search for the towns on a real estate site, you probably know the one, and check the listing for the school district.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:40 PM

9 posts, read 39,085 times
Ormobl:
hey more power to you. I don't see anything that says T/E is "better" than Great Valley, but if you've found something that does I'd love to see it. According to greatschools.net, both districts have "10"'s across the board. If you don't consider T/E to be "mainline" I think you'd have a huge community of people who beg to differ with you- and hate to hear you say that. Mainline communities east of T/E might be more affluent or 'snobby' as a lot of people say, but I haven't experienced any difference in that vibe until you reach Paoli at least.. So T/E is definitely in there. And by the way, again, the original poster was asking about acceptance for newcomers. Good luck with the "better" school district, I know a lot of people who are happy to have that school of thought stay on the T/E side!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:54 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoPA View Post
Ormobl:
hey more power to you. I don't see anything that says T/E is "better" than Great Valley, but if you've found something that does I'd love to see it. According to greatschools.net, both districts have "10"'s across the board. If you don't consider T/E to be "mainline" I think you'd have a huge community of people who beg to differ with you- and hate to hear you say that. Mainline communities east of T/E might be more affluent or 'snobby' as a lot of people say, but I haven't experienced any difference in that vibe until you reach Paoli at least.. So T/E is definitely in there. And by the way, again, the original poster was asking about acceptance for newcomers. Good luck with the "better" school district, I know a lot of people who are happy to have that school of thought stay on the T/E side!
Berwyn, Wayne and Paoli make up the majority of T/E and I would say Berwyn is the only one that has a somewhat mainline feel, but it also borders Newtown Square and Paoli. The snobbiest person I've met househunting is my realtor who's from Lower Merion and another realtor from down that way as well.

As for stats. US News ranked Conestoga High as one of the top 100 in the country. Schooldigger.com ranks it the best one around here, third in the state. By comparison, Great Valley ranked 15th, also very good but not as good as the ones in the top 10 like CB East and West, Radnor and Harriton.

I'm beginning to think the problem you had in Wayne was not that people were not nice to you, but that maybe you weren't comfortable around them.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:22 PM

9 posts, read 39,085 times
I never said the people weren't nice to me, I said they were not welcoming to newcomers, and I've heard similar statements about the area from many other new people- it's an overall attitude (seems to be, anyway). Hey, to each his own, right? Everyone's entitled to their opinions, that's what it's all about. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or