Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 03:11 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times

Advertisements

How about the incident yesterday with Chester police stopping a stolen car. Officer shot, 1 suspect shot dead, 1 suspect wounded, 1 apprehended.

But there was apparently a near riot that broke out afterwards . You would think the crowd was rallying for the police and against the criminals right? WRONG!!!!. The crowd was irate and throwing bricks at the police. They were enraged that the criminals were shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 03:19 PM

743 posts, read 766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
How about the incident yesterday with Chester police stopping a stolen car. Officer shot, 1 suspect shot dead, 1 suspect wounded, 1 apprehended.

But there was apparently a near riot that broke out afterwards . You would think the crowd was rallying for the police and against the criminals right? WRONG!!!!. The crowd was irate and throwing bricks at the police. They were enraged that the criminals were shot.
Apparently, there's a lot of stupid, hateful people in Chester.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:41 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Could be. I think they're probably bums, and bums generally don't have guns, so they're using the more affordable alternative.

I walked by a crazy, aggressive, angry bum on Market Street one Sunday morning and he was talking out load, very clearly about wanting to "stab a cracker in the eye." It really makes me want to get a handgun and a permit to carry.
If you're homeless you're going to arm yourself for self defense so I'd say it's likely most are armed. Do not ever argue with one since you do not know why they are homeless (ie mental illness). Someone who isnt in a normal state of mind can be unpredictable. really should do a better job getting people off the streets for treatment.
As for your comment about chester...who else would live there? Crime is off the charts.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:15 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

i'm not at all surprised by that. have you been there?

Old 03-14-2016, 06:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Yep, Action News just said words were exchanged. Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of having to deal with crazy bums every time I go Downtown. A few months back one came right up to us and stood in front of us near 13th and Market. We walked right around him and he mumbled as we both walked away "I'll f*ck you up, white boy!"
And it's not like you're going to win with a crazy person ... I definitely don't want to have to put my hands on one of them, but I will. And you're not going to argue or reason with them, so you have no choice but to walk away. It's a bad situation for the Downtown area.
Sometimes we just opt to go to Jersey or NE Philly to avoid those sorts of confrontations. If we're doing it, so are others. Which means businesses are indeed losing money because of the street trash.
Well, obviously I don't get the racial taunts from bums. But I do get the near-aggression about "needing" money; I never pay any attention to them.

I would advise you to never put your hands on them although I understand the urge to do it.

Truthfully, though, our homeless problem is nothing compared to what I've seen out west. I was in San Francisco last year and, and my goodness, it was awful.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:20 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,554,265 times
I don't understand Adults who get into physical fights. It's better to walk away and be labeled a loser because there are no winners in physical bouts. You could end up in hospital or a morgue, and a criminal record as well. IMHO, fighting is for Neanderthals. Even if someone is trying to take away your life, it's better to flee than to fight back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well, obviously I don't get the racial taunts from bums. But I do get the near-aggression about "needing" money; I never pay any attention to them.

I would advise you to never put your hands on them although I understand the urge to do it.

Truthfully, though, our homeless problem is nothing compared to what I've seen out west. I was in San Francisco last year and, and my goodness, it was awful.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:02 AM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
It's a bummer that you have to deal with the aggressive homeless in town. The question is (and has been forever), what can the city do? How do you solve THAT problem?

As for residents in general, all you can do is ignore them and hope they don't escalate something beyond your control.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's a bummer that you have to deal with the aggressive homeless in town. The question is (and has been forever), what can the city do? How do you solve THAT problem?

As for residents in general, all you can do is ignore them and hope they don't escalate something beyond your control.
If you google " project home and aggressive panhandling" you will get a series of articles about the long-standing problem and what was tried to address it.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:52 PM

743 posts, read 766,549 times
Quote:

I hear ya, I would only put my hands on one of them for self-defense. I would never start 'it.' I hope to God it never comes to that.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:09 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:

Myself being a downtown resident have seen an increase in verbal aggression from the homeless. I tell them to stay away from me for one simple reason. Many of them are stricken with head lice, and lice jump. I have talked to many police officers that have in the past contacted lice from dealing and handling the homeless. In fact some of them automatically treat themselves with the anti lice shampoo after handling a homeless person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia