Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:49 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I find this very interesting because I'm in Philly (from San Diego), don't like Philly and will be moving to DC, specifically Northern Virginia in a year or two. My DH will be working from home so commute is not an issue. We want to go into DC for the Museums, the Mall, the Zoo etc.. via the Vienna stop from time to time. We want newer housing stock, more and newer shopping alternatives, and more transplants (not homeless but more open-minded people; those who have moved in from different states without family nearby). We also want a more exurban experience since we have kids. Philly is too faux intellectualism/Country clubby for us. We're more middle class. I look forward to some real comparisons besides a) you can buy a bigger house cheaper and B) SEPTA runs more often.

BTW, you should post this in the Northern Virginia and or Maryland forums. I'd be interested what they'd say too.
I moved to NC from Northern Virginia about 7 yrs ago due mostly to traffic like someone already said which can only be described as TRUE HELL!!!! Traffic at all times of the day, even on weekends! I have never seen anything quite like that in my life and used to ask myself everyday, what I did to deserve that. Literally, tears used to roll down my cheeks on my way to and from work. I put up with it for a year because I had a great job (something the DC area is known for!), lived in Rockville, MD and worked in Alexandria, Va and took the Capital Beltway daily. I also did not like the high cost of apartments, the waiting list to get one and the interviews roomates conduct just to get a room (the size of a dog's house!) in someone's house/apt! I took everything in consideration, talked to family/friends and finally decided that it is best for my own sanity and savings account to just move away from that area for good. I now visit the area at least once every 3 months on the weekends and notice that nothing has changed, in fact everything seems to get more pricey. The only things that I miss are the culture, the great public transportation system, diverse people and great jobs but beleive me, it is not worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 06:19 PM

3 posts, read 28,001 times
Thanks for the great feedback so far. The comments on housing confirm what I suspected (Philly wins out big-time), but it's nice to hear the information about the public transit & traffic. Most of my traveling in Philly has been in taxis from the airport to downtown, so I haven't experienced traffic or transit out in the suburbs. I have gotten stuck in DC traffic a few times on the weekends, and know how hellish that can be.

Does anyone have an idea of the going rate for good day-care in the Philadelphia area? I've heard ~$1,500 a month is what I can expect in DC.

I just posted the same message in the DC forums, so I'll be curious to hear their point-of-view!

Thanks again!

Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
I moved to Northern Virginia years after living 30+ years in the Philly metro. I don't consider myself an "expert" on either end but here are my thoughts:

1. For $400-500K, you can get a decent SFH in most middle class Philly burbs. In the DC area, that will get you a townhouse unless you live more than 30 miles (i.e. 60 minutes) outside the city.

2. Culture can be subjective. The presence of the Smithsonian museums in DC beats out everything besides maybe NYC. Philly is definitely no slouch as its many of its museums are world-renowned. Philly is a fast-paced city but it seems like rush hour never stops in the closer DC metro. Because of this, you'll see a lot more hurried, harried people in DC unless you work and/or parent at home.

3. Can't really comment on kid-friendliness. The higher percentage of SAHMs in VA's Loudoun County may promote less disaffected youth. The cost-of-living will make everything more expensive in DC including day care.

4. Commuting through Philly on I-76(Schuykill Expressway), I-476 (Blue Route), I-95 or I-276(PA Turnpike) is never fun but doesn't hold a candle to the conga lines on I-495 (Capital Beltway), I-66 (VA), I-270(MD) or I-95 again. DC's Metrorail system is nicer than Philly's but the latter works fine. Some people find Philly's train conductor system antiquated while others find it more personable. In DC, you buy a rechargeable ticket or Smartpass.

5. I can't comment on MD or DC but VA taxes are definitely cheaper than PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh20100 View Post
I'm looking to relocate to Philadelphia or Washington, DC.

Any thoughts on Philly vs DC for:
1. Amount of house I can afford for $400-$500k? The Philly housing market looks less expensive than DC (although both are high nationally).
2. Culture, quality-of-life, friendly people
3. Kid-friendliness (including day-care or nanny prices)
4. Commute: I'd be commuting downtown in either city and don't mind taking public transportation, but would prefer <1hr each way
5. Taxes

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
For the amount you stated you could find a very nice place in the queen village, fairemount, society hill, spring garden, University city neighborhoods just to name a few.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-10-2008 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,888,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eh20100 View Post
I just posted the same message in the DC forums, so I'll be curious to hear their point-of-view!
FYI, you won't get much reaction from the DC forum. Thats just for those who really live in the Beltway (I actually know a family of 8 that has a home in the Beltway so there are some families there). You'd get more info posting in the Virginia -Northern Virginia or Maryland Forums.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbillrain View Post
For the amount you stated you could find a very nice place in the queen village, fairemount, society hill, spring garden, University city neighborhoods just to name a few.
we bought a great place in QV for that price range. its a perfect loacation to all the amenities that center city has to offer. when we were shopping for a home a year ago, there were a lot of decent homes available in the areas mentioned above. old city also had some for sale in that price range. if you can, you should try to buy in the city. the commute to the burbs looks a little scary.

DC sounds good too. but i would suggest looking in the city as well. i just cringe when i think about the commutes to nova or maryland.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:35 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
we bought a great place in QV for that price range. its a perfect loacation to all the amenities that center city has to offer. when we were shopping for a home a year ago, there were a lot of decent homes available in the areas mentioned above. old city also had some for sale in that price range. if you can, you should try to buy in the city. the commute to the burbs looks a little scary.

DC sounds good too. but i would suggest looking in the city as well. i just cringe when i think about the commutes to nova or maryland.
I normally advocate Philly (and would DC as well) as I prefer urban living despite my present suburban circumstance. However, since the OP has kids, I have to concede that there are relatively few city schools with positive reputations that aren't chartered, private or parochial (Catholic). If one can compensate for that, then I would definitely agree with the city neighborhoods suggested.

And yes, even though DC is a job magnet, you may not want to join the morning and evening conga lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia