Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 01:06 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,445,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
We're here.... Just being cautious. It's still May and we don't want to get too excited ..... yet. And CBP is still WAY too empty. I don't recall it ever being this empty before.
Nothing wrong with getting too excited, roll with it! They're in a rebuilding phase, so this is all gravy. When they build an offense, they're gonna raise hell in the National League.
Win ... and they will come. Beer and sandwiches in the parking lot for everybody!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 01:40 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Nothing wrong with getting too excited, roll with it! They're in a rebuilding phase, so this is all gravy. When they build an offense, they're gonna raise hell in the National League.
Win ... and they will come. Beer and sandwiches in the parking lot for everybody!!
I'm loving these new guys already. I don't even miss the "old crew" anymore especially when you consider how long ago both(recent)WS appearances were.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I'm loving these new guys already. I don't even miss the "old crew" anymore especially when you consider how long ago both(recent)WS appearances were.
I agree - it's fun learning the new faces and observing what we hope is a successful rebuild. Nice to see Tommy Joseph elevated to the club ... hope he can bring some production to a woeful lineup. We'll never see Darin Ruf again.

I predict starting in 2018/19 they're going to win three World Series in five years. Prepare yourself for the greatest era in Phillies history!

Old 05-14-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I agree - it's fun learning the new faces and observing what we hope is a successful rebuild. Nice to see Tommy Joseph elevated to the club ... hope he can bring some production to a woeful lineup. We'll never see Darin Ruf again.

I predict starting in 2018/19 they're going to win three World Series in five years. Prepare yourself for the greatest era in Phillies history!
Wow! Hope springs eternal!

Old 05-14-2016, 07:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,737,948 times
Quote:
We're here.... Just being cautious. It's still May and we don't want to get too excited ..... yet. And CBP is still WAY too empty. I don't recall it ever being this empty before.
2016 Philadelphia Phillies Batting, Pitching, & Fielding Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Last in the NL in attendance - yikes!

To be fair there's not been a lot of home games and only three quality teams have visited (Cards, Mets, and Nats). I still, however, expect better attendance in Philly than Atlanta, Miami, San Diego, and maybe Milwaukee, especially with a better-than-expected season underway. I'm guessing the last couple years and the lack of "star power" in the everyday lineup is keeping the casual fans at home. Most people still focus on Howard (they shouldn't) than Franco and Herrera.

As far as the rest of the season goes, I'd like to see any pitching needs addressed internally. There's two or three pitchers doing well in Allentown who can be used in Philly if needed. As with sending Ruf down and calling up Joseph, the rest of the weak links on the offensive side need to be addressed soon. Burriss and Lough don't offer much and are both 30 years old. I had hopes Goedell would put up passable stats, but the poor guy is clearly drowning at the big league level. I can accept Bourjos as a defense/speed guy, but this is the third organization that's given him an opportunity to start in the big leagues. His limitations are quite evident at age 29. I like Freddy Galvis as a platoon/utility/reserve player, but not as someone who should receive 600 plate appearances - 400 should be his max.

(I think) I can deal with LF as an audition spot for the different in-house options (Asche, Ruf, Hunter, Stassi, Sweeney) until either Williams gets a shot or when Altherr comes back. On the other hand, if there's a waiver wire pick up to be had and all they have to do is cut Lough or Burris, that'd be a low risk opportunity worth taking. At this point, I'd be offering Tampa a decent, low level, off-roster prospect for Goedell, so they can send him down without losing him back to Tampa for nothing. I think he's worth keeping in the system, but it's not helping his development to play so miserably and also be surrounded by players that cannot offer him any protection. The league pitchers are devouring him.

I wouldn't mind if the Phils traded an older and/or marginal prospect like Sweeney for SS Jhonny Peralta. Sweeney is already 25, doesn't play any one position well (which is why he's a utility player), strikes out a lot, and is struggling in AAA so far this season. Peralta is about to come back from injury real soon. The Cardinals have the younger Diaz playing really well in his absence, and have two other quality backup infielders in Gyrko and Tejeda. They don't need Peralta and I'm sure they wouldn't mind dumping most or all of his remaining $19M (through next season). Peralta is a better hitter than Galvis, and Galvis can still play late-inning defense, start at SS every 10 or 12 games, start a couple games at 2B every week (remember Hernandez can also play OF), back up at 3rd, pinch run and pinch hit - valuable skills in the NL with the double switches. Basically they'd be taking two to three games of AB's per week from Galvis, which would help him and team. He's over-exposed as an everyday player.

As far as any notion that Peralta would be blocking Crawford - not really. Crawford is still AA - I suspect because his error rate hasn't dropped yet. Getting on base hasn't seemed to be a problem with him. If at some point this season or next Crawford gets his defensive game together (whether the problem is footwork or slowing things down and playing with athletic confidence - probably a combination of both), and pushes Galvis or Peralta or anybody else to the bench, trading block, or waiver wire - so be it. The Phillies have plenty of money, and sacrificing a guy like Sweeney won't hurt the future, especially if the Phils can leave a little more breathing room in this year's games; rather than relying on squeaking by with one run victories. Taking on a $10M player with a short-term contract is nothing in today's MLB salary structure. It could also give Crawford a kick in the ass to step up to his talent and to be the four tool player that he is.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 PM

311 posts, read 311,451 times
Another one-run win today. And Goeddel had best game of year. Crazy finish!

Old 05-14-2016, 11:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,737,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Glad I could be Goedell's good luck charm tonight...

Boy, both Rupp & Chooch have taken some hard shots lately. Like running into brick walls!

Old 05-15-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post

Boy, both Rupp & Chooch have taken some hard shots lately. Like running into brick walls!
Playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I think it's good for these young guys learning how to win all these one-run games. To be taken seriously, these are the types of games they're going to have to win someday in September and October.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post

I was at CBP last night so I saw that final out. I, literally, jumped out of my seat! Like I said I love these new guys so much already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia