U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:58 PM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You could always go to Jim's at 60th and Vine. Much closer.
It's 62nd Callowhill.

Most won't believe me here but it's not that unsafe around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 03:54 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,065,394 times
Quote:
Rocco's?
It'll be easier for you to try the Rocco's in South Philly, MSE. It's right in front of the Home Depot on Columbus Blvd.
They're known for their sausage, peppers and onion sandwiches - EXCELLENT!

That's your assignment for tomorrow morning.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:47 PM

4,439 posts, read 1,687,140 times
Max steak is now number one on my list. I ate one half so far and its the best steak i ever had. The roll is great and love how they pack it with the meat. The only surprising thing i discovered was they dont sell fries and or onion rings. Also i would never go there at night time after 9pm. Lol

Its like a upgraded version of Pats steaks that is in the hood.

Old 09-23-2017, 03:59 AM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Max steak is now number one on my list. I ate one half so far and its the best steak i ever had. The roll is great and love how they pack it with the meat. The only surprising thing i discovered was they dont sell fries and or onion rings. Also i would never go there at night time after 9pm. Lol

Its like a upgraded version of Pats steaks that is in the hood.
You may recall that I mentioned getting a steak at Max's Five Points location.

It's light-years ahead of Pat's.

Oh, and: we weren't talking about cheesesteaks in the post you responded to. The cheesesteak may be Philly's signature sandwich, but there are other good ones out there.

Also: My one visit to Dwight's was around 10:30 p.m. I didn't feel ill at ease at all around that intersection.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Five Points in NE Philly, MSE?

Old 09-23-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:

It's light-years ahead of Pat's.

Oh, and: we weren't talking about cheesesteaks in the post you responded to. The cheesesteak may be Philly's signature sandwich, but there are other good ones out there.

Also: My one visit to Dwight's was around 10:30 p.m. I didn't feel ill at ease at all around that intersection.
I am sure there are but i have not been introduced to those places yet. So as of right now my top five places for a steak is

Max's
Larry's
Jimmy's G's
Steve Prince of Steaks
Pats steaks

Old 09-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I am sure there are but i have not been introduced to those places yet. So as of right now my top five places for a steak is

Max's
Larry's
Jimmy's G's
Steve Prince of Steaks
Pats steaks
IMO Pat's is resting on its laurels. But this is a good list and a good start. You are commended (not "commanded") to hie yourself to 62d and Callowhill, or 4th and South, to try Jim's.

However, I still encourage you to broaden your Philly sandwich horizons.

I fully intend to follow 2002 Subaru's recommendation of Rocco's, and I'll have a good excuse for going down that way soon, as one of my wine glasses cracked last night and I need to get a full complement back. The best place to do that now is Ikea, and the Columbus Commons store - the only one you can get to on public transit - is just down the road from Pier 70.

You've been told about how some people hereabouts hold the roast pork Italian in higher regard than the cheesesteak. DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market serves both it and their own variant with broccoli rabe (I think I prefer it), and it's a convenient trip for you. John's Roast Pork is the place with the James Beard Foundation Award for its sandwich, though, so I would also make an effort to get down to Weccacoe and Snyder avenues if I were you.

You might also want to check out the roast beef and roast pork French dip sandwiches at the Cherry Street Tavern in Logan Square while you're at it. Wash them down with a Yuengling Lager.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Five Points in NE Philly, MSE?
Yep, that Five Points. I was headed back home from my friend Vince Ancona's home in Rhawnhurst and had some time to kill between the 70 and 18 buses - long enough to order a half cheesesteak.

Max's half is bigger than many places' wholes.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
IMO Pat's is resting on its laurels. But this is a good list and a good start. You are commended (not "commanded") to hie yourself to 62d and Callowhill, or 4th and South, to try Jim's.

However, I still encourage you to broaden your Philly sandwich horizons.

I fully intend to follow 2002 Subaru's recommendation of Rocco's, and I'll have a good excuse for going down that way soon, as one of my wine glasses cracked last night and I need to get a full complement back. The best place to do that now is Ikea, and the Columbus Commons store - the only one you can get to on public transit - is just down the road from Pier 70.

You've been told about how some people hereabouts hold the roast pork Italian in higher regard than the cheesesteak. DiNic's in the Reading Terminal Market serves both it and their own variant with broccoli rabe (I think I prefer it), and it's a convenient trip for you. John's Roast Pork is the place with the James Beard Foundation Award for its sandwich, though, so I would also make an effort to get down to Weccacoe and Snyder avenues if I were you.

You might also want to check out the roast beef and roast pork French dip sandwiches at the Cherry Street Tavern in Logan Square while you're at it. Wash them down with a Yuengling Lager.
I go to Rocco's every time i go clothes shopping on 24th and Oregon

Old 09-23-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Yep, that Five Points. I was headed back home from my friend Vince Ancona's home in Rhawnhurst and had some time to kill between the 70 and 18 buses - long enough to order a half cheesesteak.

Max's half is bigger than many places' wholes.
Ok. You try the Rocco's and I'll try the Max's. Stick with the signature sandwich, Italian sausage (I like sweet) with peppers and onions, don't get cute on me ... report back soon.

BTW, Original Turkey's turkey rueben should get honorable mention in the best sandwich debate.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 09-23-2017 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or