U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 07:08 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,065,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Every Cheese steak place on my Top 5 list is around major areas so that's why I could never see myself going to Jim's on 62nd street. The Jim's on 4th and South would make more sense for me to visit.

1. Max's-(Broad and Erie next to Subway or 23 Bus)

2. Jimmy G's-(Broad and Fairmount next to subway or 4 or 16 Bus)

3. Steve's Prince of Steaks-(16th and Chestnut next to Subway)

4. Larry's Steaks-(54th and City Ave-next to St. Joes-52 or 44 Bus)

5. Pat's Steaks-(Across from Geno's-64 Bus)
What's your opinion of Jimmy G's? My brother said they make a mean lamb cheesesteak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:13 PM

4,439 posts, read 1,687,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
What's your opinion of Jimmy G's? My brother said they make a mean lamb cheesesteak.

They are very good and was there all the time when I worked at Broad and Wallace.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:10 PM

13 posts, read 16,624 times
Default Another cheesesteak thread (it'll be my last time bringing it up)

New thread from 2019 starts here

For the longest time, Pat's has been the go to place for a cheesesteak. Will Smith in 1990 said on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air that Pat's was the best place to get a cheesesteak. Now all the Philadelphians I've spoken to say it's not. That it's the last place you wanna go if you want a cheesesteak. My question is if Pat's is really that bad, why has it been promoted the best to go for the longest time? Why didn't Will Smith say Max's (or whereever I've heard alot of places) was the best place to get a cheesesteak on the Fresh Prince? It's kind of like Frank Rizzo, everyone outside of Philly says he was a scumbag, and everyone in Philadelphia says oh no he was great. It's the same thing everyone outside of Philadelphia (until recently) says Pat's was the best, and everyone in Philadelphia says it's the worst. I wanna understand why isn't there consistency going on?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-21-2019 at 09:36 AM..

Old 10-19-2019, 10:34 PM

7,449 posts, read 7,868,440 times
From TV I'd think Pinks sells the best hot dogs in L.A. but that' doesn't mean locals may not know better. Maybe it's because it was near the Hollywood Studios and actors went there and the word spread as those actors became famous and talked about Pinks. But that doesn't mean it's really the best. But that's all we here in Philly hear about. So we'd go to L.A. looking for Pinks....and locals would think we're suckers.....

Same with Ben's Chili Bowl in D.C.....my brother went and said he'd never go back.
And it's the same thing with lots of food places all over the globe.
Locals know better than tourists. (Not that locals don't go to Pat's and Geno's. They do. I wouldn't go. But that's me.)

A place gets a TV reputation or some media time and tourists may flock there. All the while locals aren't that impressed.

Unless tourists do their research, those TV blurbs are all they know about the place. If it's on TV and people on TV are saying how great it is...it MUST be true. Right? Have you never traveled and heard people say I want to go where locals go, that's where the really good places are? If you go to a place and there are NO LOCALS, uh that's a hint. Despite how famous the out of town reputation may be.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:19 AM

23,169 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNam3 View Post
For the longest time, Pat's has been the go to place for a cheesesteak. Will Smith in 1990 said on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air that Pat's was the best place to get a cheesesteak. Now all the Philadelphians I've spoken to say it's not. That it's the last place you wanna go if you want a cheesesteak. My question is if Pat's is really that bad, why has it been promoted the best to go for the longest time? Why didn't Will Smith say Max's (or whereever I've heard alot of places) was the best place to get a cheesesteak on the Fresh Prince? It's kind of like Frank Rizzo, everyone outside of Philly says he was a scumbag, and everyone in Philadelphia says oh no he was great. It's the same thing everyone outside of Philadelphia (until recently) says Pat's was the best, and everyone in Philadelphia says it's the worst. I wanna understand why isn't there consistency going on?
Let's see. . . You want to know why Pat's got a mention in a 30 year old sitcom, and why it's not true today.

Sitcoms are fiction. See, Will Smith grew up in a nice neighborhood, as opposed to what you would think, based on the song for the show's beginning.

As to Frank Rizzo, enough people who lived in the city didn't like him that the city charter was amended to prevent him or any future mayor running for a third consecutive term.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:34 AM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Let's see. . . You want to know why Pat's got a mention in a 30 year old sitcom, and why it's not true today.

Sitcoms are fiction. See, Will Smith grew up in a nice neighborhood, as opposed to what you would think, based on the song for the show's beginning.

As to Frank Rizzo, enough people who lived in the city didn't like him that the city charter was amended to prevent him or any future mayor running for a third consecutive term.
WRT Rizzo, you have it backwards: The 1951 City Charter already limited mayors to two consecutive terms in office. Rizzo sought an amendment that would have allowed him to run for a third term. That amendment was defeated.

And for further ammo against the "everyone in Philadelphia says oh, no, he's great" statement: That quest came AFTER a petition to recall the mayor (allowed under the City Charter at the time) gathered enough signatures to make it onto the ballot. A state judge ruled the recall provision of the charter invalid before the recall question could be voted on.

As for Pat's Steaks: Part of its reputation comes from being the place that originated the cheesesteak. There was a time within my memory here (I've lived here 36 years) when it really was good. But for the past decade or so, it's been resting on its laurels. There are worse cheesesteaks than Pat's in this town, but it's certainly not the best, nor is archrival Geno's across the 9th and Passyunk intersection.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:12 AM

223 posts, read 116,612 times
Pats Steaks has been around since 1930, and is one of the most famous cheesesteak places in the city, so of course they’ll mention Pats on a sitcom like Fresh Prince rather than a lesser known location.
In fact, Will Smith was always known to stop by Overbrook Pizza to get steaks when he would come home to Philadelphia, so the real Will Smith and Will Smith of the Fresh Prince have different preferences lol.

I personally don’t think Pats or Genos is that bad- they’re just super touristy. Are they the worst steaks in the city? No, but not the best either. It’s all just a matter of preference/personal opinion.

And I can’t speak on Rizzo because I was actually not even born yet when he was mayor. Though I do know if you speak to several different Philadelphians, you’ll get a variety of opinions about him.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:34 AM

5,290 posts, read 3,533,257 times
If I had to choose between pat's and gino's, I would go with pat's. I like tony luke's though.

But I need better cheesesteak places. I'm looking for the jamican jerk chicken cheesesteak

Old 10-20-2019, 05:15 PM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
If I had to choose between pat's and gino's, I would go with pat's. I like tony luke's though.

But I need better cheesesteak places. I'm looking for the jamican jerk chicken cheesesteak
When you find it, please post about it here.

When I moved up to East Germantown, there was a corner sandwich shop on Chew Avenue that had a banner reading "Home of the Best Salmon Cheesesteak." Unfortunately, this place kept extremely erratic hours and finally shut down, so I never got to try one of those there. I did finallly have a salmon cheesesteak at a media party the Phillies threw at Citizens Bank Park three years ago. It's not bad.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:54 AM

425 posts, read 159,566 times
Pat's is fine. There is a phenomenon where people want to act like everything in Philadelphia that attracts tourists or people from the greater region is a tourist trap. No one gets "cred" in my book by avoiding Pat's. They use quality ingredients and is better than most places IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or