U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 07:17 AM

170 posts, read 308,734 times

Advertisements

Pat's is not that good, their meat is tough, it's famous just because it was the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 07:53 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Pat's is okay - far from the best or worst . discndav is correct that their meat is tough. However, it is better than some of the other well-known places like Geno's and Jim's. Every city has some version of Pat's - the place that got famous for inventing or popularizing a local food, became too popular for its own good, and went downhill to some extent. I still recommend that visitors go to Pat's once if they can, though. It still has the historical/cultural significance, and I like that they have kept the place pretty much the same all these years. Also, you can walk the length of the Italian Market on your way there.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:01 AM

390 posts, read 170,599 times
There are probably a thousand places in Philadelphia that sells cheesesteaks. Has anybody been to all of them? No. Do people claim that one place is "the best" based on their experience? Of course.

Pat's is a place that everybody has been to at least once. Tourists try it, people from the suburbs try it, people who aren't big cheesesteak fans try it. In short, there are lots of people who have only eaten a couple cheesesteaks in Philadelphia and one of them was probably at Pat's. For those people, Pat's is the best they've had.

For anybody else who has sampled cheesesteaks around Philadelphia, Pat's falls towards the bottom on the list pretty quick.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,966,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
When you find it, please post about it here.

When I moved up to East Germantown, there was a corner sandwich shop on Chew Avenue that had a banner reading "Home of the Best Salmon Cheesesteak." Unfortunately, this place kept extremely erratic hours and finally shut down, so I never got to try one of those there. I did finallly have a salmon cheesesteak at a media party the Phillies threw at Citizens Bank Park three years ago. It's not bad.
The "Best of Philly" cheesesteak for 2019 is a salmon cheesesteak at Sister Muhammad's Kitchen, so now you have your chance to have one that's not made by Aramark.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:06 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,039,427 times
I think the other posters have it right. Pat's is pretty average overall, but it is one of the original places, so it has always gotten a lot hype and if you haven't ever ate a cheesesteak in Philadelphia before, it's a place to go. They are hardly the only ones who fall into this category. Geno's, Jim's, and Delassandro's also get a lot of hype and have long lines.

Speaking of other variations of Cheesesteaks, two good ones I have had are the korean cheesesteak from koja grille near Temple and the garlic bread cheesesteak from santuccis. A really good sandwich, that they call a cheesesteak but it isn't really, is the cheesesteak a la mexicana at cafe y chocolate on snyder ave.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:11 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNam3 View Post
For the longest time, Pat's has been the go to place for a cheesesteak. Will Smith in 1990 said on the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air that Pat's was the best place to get a cheesesteak. Now all the Philadelphians I've spoken to say it's not. That it's the last place you wanna go if you want a cheesesteak. My question is if Pat's is really that bad, why has it been promoted the best to go for the longest time? Why didn't Will Smith say Max's (or whereever I've heard alot of places) was the best place to get a cheesesteak on the Fresh Prince? It's kind of like Frank Rizzo, everyone outside of Philly says he was a scumbag, and everyone in Philadelphia says oh no he was great. It's the same thing everyone outside of Philadelphia (until recently) says Pat's was the best, and everyone in Philadelphia says it's the worst. I wanna understand why isn't there consistency going on?
Since Will Smith, to my knowledge, rarely comes to Philadelphia anymore not sure anything he said about cheesesteaks in 1990 is relevant.

Rizzo is still a hot potato topic and he died almost 30 years ago. And, no, not everybody here liked him.

Pat's, Geno's and, now, Tony Luke's are tourists traps while John's Roast Pork( where you can get steaks) is not quite that. The latter is one place I recommend.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
WRT Rizzo, you have it backwards: The 1951 City Charter already limited mayors to two consecutive terms in office. Rizzo sought an amendment that would have allowed him to run for a third term. That amendment was defeated.

And for further ammo against the "everyone in Philadelphia says oh, no, he's great" statement: That quest came AFTER a petition to recall the mayor (allowed under the City Charter at the time) gathered enough signatures to make it onto the ballot. A state judge ruled the recall provision of the charter invalid before the recall question could be voted on.

As for Pat's Steaks: Part of its reputation comes from being the place that originated the cheesesteak. There was a time within my memory here (I've lived here 36 years) when it really was good. But for the past decade or so, it's been resting on its laurels. There are worse cheesesteaks than Pat's in this town, but it's certainly not the best, nor is archrival Geno's across the 9th and Passyunk intersection.
The problem with Pat's, imo, is they started Cheese Whiz thing, afaik.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
When you find it, please post about it here.

When I moved up to East Germantown, there was a corner sandwich shop on Chew Avenue that had a banner reading "Home of the Best Salmon Cheesesteak." Unfortunately, this place kept extremely erratic hours and finally shut down, so I never got to try one of those there. I did finallly have a salmon cheesesteak at a media party the Phillies threw at Citizens Bank Park three years ago. It's not bad.
I must be the only person alive who positively hates salmon. So, no, that would never work for me.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:27 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I must be the only person alive who positively hates salmon. So, no, that would never work for me.
Out of all the fish options, salmon is low on the list for me. Never knew why it's so popular and expensive.

Old 10-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Out of all the fish options, salmon is low on the list for me. Never knew why it's so popular and expensive.
I had/have family members who love it. I also will not touch liver. Well...not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or