U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 07:33 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Ask ten people and you will get 10 different answers. But Pats and Geno's are for tourists or if you are drunk at 3 AM.

Many people consider the roast pork sandwich with provolone and broccoli rabe at John's or Dinics to be the real Philly sandwich.

agreed!

In terms of in the city and more famous I would suggest Jims at like 4th or 5th and South - to me far better than Pats or Genos

Lorenzos at 9th and Christian does a good and Santuccis at 10th and Christian does as well with a Sarcones roll

The roll may be the most important aspect of a good steak sandwich

Delasandros is really good but out in NW philly There was a place in Hatboro in the burb called Silvios that to me was as good as it gets plus the rolls came out of the oven fresh, miss that place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 07:43 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,039,427 times
shout out to Cleavers. They never disappoint.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:59 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Market, I don't know if you were referring to my post or another. But John's Roast Pork is NOT the place where I was highly disappointed. I've never eaten there, but my brother loves it.
I'm an odd Philadelphian in that I care WAY more about good hoagies. But, yes, John's RP is my "local" favorite ( the easiest for me to get to), next is Dalessandro's, then the original Jim's at 60th and Vine.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:04 AM

2,131 posts, read 1,065,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm an odd Philadelphian in that I care WAY more about good hoagies. But, yes, John's RP is my "local" favorite ( the easiest for me to get to), next is Dalessandro's, then the original Jim's at 60th and Vine.
Have you been to Christie's @19th and Spring Garden, k? Fresh ingredients and the friendly little Korean girl loves to cook - and she'll tell you about it.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Have you been to Christie's @19th and Spring Garden, k? Fresh ingredients and the friendly little Korean girl loves to cook - and she'll tell you about it.
Yes! I love that place! Love the folks there. Their hoagies are wonderful.

Unless there's someone new there...I have not been in there for about a month. ....they're Indonesian, not Korean. They live in S. Philly. They are American citizens.

The owners of the Museum Market and the dry cleaners in Museum Towers are Koreans.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes! I love that place! Love the folks there. Their hoagies are wonderful.

Unless there's someone new there...I have not been in there for about a month. ....they're Indonesian, not Korean. They live in S. Philly. They are American citizens.

The owners of the Museum Market and the dry cleaners in Museum Towers are Koreans.
Someone told me they were Korean ... I had my doubts because the girl's face was too narrow to be Korean. Thanks.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Someone told me they were Korean ... I had my doubts because the girl's face was too narrow to be Korean. Thanks.
Well, she's actually ethic Chinese like lots of people from/living in se Asia.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:27 AM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Market, I don't know if you were referring to my post or another. But John's Roast Pork is NOT the place where I was highly disappointed. I've never eaten there, but my brother loves it.
My comment was addressed to the OP, who said that she was told of a place in South Philly that serves the best cheesesteak around. Since no local would use "Pat's" or "Geno's" and "best cheesesteak" in the same sentence without the word "not" in between them, that rules out those two South Philly cheesesteak emporia. That pretty much leaves Tony Luke's and John's Roast Pork as the two Great Mentions, and she already said it wasn't TL's.

There was one year when Phillymag tagged Cosmi's at 8th and Reed as the best cheesesteak. I went there on that recommendation and wasn't impressed.

Quote:
The cheesesteak I had from John's Roast Pork was terrible.

Ishkabibble's, Joe's, Steve's Prince of Steaks, Geno's, Jim's and Little Pete's on State Road are all tied for the best.
Except for some agitating transplants, nobody who matters considers the roast pork sandwich to be the real Philly sandwich.
Most of those "agitating transplants" I know also fall into the category "foodie," so I don't dismiss their comments out of hand. As I said above, the roast pork Italian is actually IMO tastier than the cheesesteak, but it's nowhere near as ubiquitous and thus doesn't qualify.

Then again, I'm a transplant too, so I guess you can discount my opinions by the standard Philly-native markdown despite 34 years' residence here.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Most of those "agitating transplants" I know also fall into the category "foodie," so I don't dismiss their comments out of hand. As I said above, the roast pork Italian is actually IMO tastier than the cheesesteak, but it's nowhere near as ubiquitous and thus doesn't qualify.

Just because someone is a 'foodie,' it doesn't mean their taste buds are more advanced than other's.
BTW, I love pork sandwiches, too. Say what you want about the DiNic'c roast pork with broccoli rabe and extra sharp provolone, but the star of that show is the Italian style ...

Anyway, it seems like a lot of these 'foodies' run after trends and whatever they're told is 'cool.' What is it now, Thai rolled ice cream? (Had it ... meh. Bassett's has it all over it) Expensive bagels? Overpriced pizza?

Yeah, some of the new places are good, I'm not opposed to expanding my culinary horizons, but they rarely seem to pass the test of time. Paesano's anybody?
I'll stick with consistency like Tacconelli's, El Jarocho, Rib Rack, Jack's Place and Johnny's Hots ... I'm not blindly loyal, though, if a place starts to slip, I'm done.

Last edited by 2002 Subaru; 09-16-2017 at 11:18 AM..

Old 09-16-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Then again, I'm a transplant too, so I guess you can discount my opinions by the standard Philly-native markdown despite 34 years' residence here.
FCS, you sound like you need a hug ... 34 years is a good run, we all know you know the city - especially SEPTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or