U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 12:21 PM

4,439 posts, read 1,687,140 times

Advertisements

I was introduced to Larry's Steaks on 54th and City Ave and they was very good. These are my top places to get a steak in Philly

1. Jimmy's G's Steaks on Broad and Fairmount

2. Larry's Steaks on 54th and City Ave

3. Steve's Prince of Steaks on 16th and Chestnut

4. Pats Steaks on 9th and Passayunk

Places I don't recommend

1.Abner's Steaks in University City

2. Jim's Steaks on South street

3. Geno's Steaks on 9th and passayunk

4. Campo's on 2nd and Market
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I like Dalessandro's, the best, but have also had some good steaks from Jim's on South Street. Pat's, and Geno's never impressed me. Nick's Roast Beef at 20th, and Jackson has the best Roast Pork sandwiches.
The Dalessandro's TV commercial doesn't make the steak look too appetizing which is why I am afraid to go there. lol

Old 09-16-2017, 05:40 PM

59 posts, read 33,602 times
markelle fultz would tell you Larry's

but, he'd rec you to a chick fil a before he'd tell you that

Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmyownwords15 View Post
markelle fultz would tell you Larry's

but, he'd rec you to a chick fil a before he'd tell you that

The steaks at Larry's are very good

Old 09-17-2017, 01:42 AM

1,998 posts, read 3,121,190 times
Thank you everyone for all the info and suggestions!!!

I gotta say, I'm still as lost as I ever was because I see there are lots of choices and everyone has their own preferences, so there's no "one best place" to go to that everyone (or the majority) agree on...

I actually love that about Philly. That really is a good thing. Means the good food scene is abundant, so maybe what I'll do is just try my best to try several of the places while I'm there. I only have a weekend to do it, but I'll do my best.
So far, I think I'm going to try to make it to these 3...

Delasandros (enough of you have mentioned it positively to give it a try)
John's Roast Pork (enough have mentioned it good or bad, so I think maybe it's worth giving it a fair chance)
And either Lorenzos or Jimmy's G's Steaks. Undecided
(What do you guys think?)

Side note: Someone mentioned Lorenzos... I THINK (I THINK) that might have been the name people mentioned to me before... Still, nothing is giving me that "AH HA" moment, but that one sounds kind of what I think I remember hearing.

Might be a lot of cheesesteak and hogies to eat over a weekend, but hey... Eating is fun... "When in Rome," right?
I'm always told Philadelphians love to and know how to eat... What better place to enjoy pigging out than Philly?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:21 AM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Thank you everyone for all the info and suggestions!!!

I gotta say, I'm still as lost as I ever was because I see there are lots of choices and everyone has their own preferences, so there's no "one best place" to go to that everyone (or the majority) agree on...

I actually love that about Philly. That really is a good thing. Means the good food scene is abundant, so maybe what I'll do is just try my best to try several of the places while I'm there. I only have a weekend to do it, but I'll do my best.
So far, I think I'm going to try to make it to these 3...

Delasandros (enough of you have mentioned it positively to give it a try)
John's Roast Pork (enough have mentioned it good or bad, so I think maybe it's worth giving it a fair chance)
And either Lorenzos or Jimmy's G's Steaks. Undecided
(What do you guys think?)

Side note: Someone mentioned Lorenzos... I THINK (I THINK) that might have been the name people mentioned to me before... Still, nothing is giving me that "AH HA" moment, but that one sounds kind of what I think I remember hearing.

Might be a lot of cheesesteak and hogies to eat over a weekend, but hey... Eating is fun... "When in Rome," right?
I'm always told Philadelphians love to and know how to eat... What better place to enjoy pigging out than Philly?
We love our food, and we love our beer (I'd say the craft beer scene here is one of the best in the country), and we're not shy about expressing our opinions on all of the above. I'd say these are all good traits.

Lorenzo's on South Street is better known for its pizza than its cheesesteaks, so if you're choosing between the last two, I'd say go with Jimmy G's.

Which, by the way, is a relative newcomer to the cheesesteak pantheon and a symbol of the nascent North Broad Renaissance ("Renaissance" capitalized here because that's the name of the organization that took over the task of rejuvenating North Broad Street when Avenue of the Arts Inc. dissolved).

Steve's Prince of Steaks is indeed another occupant of that pantheon: I was actually an extra in a videotaping of an episode of the Food Network's "The Hungry Detective" that featured Steve's original location on Bustleton Avenue in the Northeast. The 16th Street outpost is just as good, but in the interest of getting you to explore as much of the city as you can, I'd recommend you make your way up to the original if you can. It's on the southbound side of Bustleton, a few blocks south of Cottman Avenue.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:32 AM

23,595 posts, read 10,782,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Forgot to mention. Go to Reading Terminal Market for the food. You can get anything there pretty much, and it is all good.

Home - Reading Terminal Market

Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 AM

11,942 posts, read 10,818,746 times
Surprised nobody mentioned Max's on Germantown and Erie Aves. Personally I love Dalessandros and Johns (but usually always end up getting a roast pork here). If you are with someone and go to Johns I would get a cheesesteak and roast pork and split them. If you want to try a chicken cheesesteak-my favorite is Ishkabibbles on South St.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned Max's on Germantown and Erie Aves. Personally I love Dalessandros and Johns (but usually always end up getting a roast pork here). If you are with someone and go to Johns I would get a cheesesteak and roast pork and split them. If you want to try a chicken cheesesteak-my favorite is Ishkabibbles on South St.
Max's is on my list to try one day but it's going in the opposite direction of where I live after heading home from work. I work near Broad and Cecil B, Moore and only can see myself going in the opposite direction to Broad and Erie on a friday.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Forgot to mention. Go to Reading Terminal Market for the food. You can get anything there pretty much, and it is all good.

Home - Reading Terminal Market

I hate that everything has to close at 5pm in Reading terminal which makes no sense for a place located in one of the busiest areas of center city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or