U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:14 AM

2,131 posts, read 1,065,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

Delasandros (enough of you have mentioned it positively to give it a try)
John's Roast Pork (enough have mentioned it good or bad, so I think maybe it's worth giving it a fair chance)
And either Lorenzos or Jimmy's G's Steaks. Undecided
(What do you guys think?)
I think you're wasting your time ... Just go to Dinic's for lunch and try half (if you have a companion) of an Italian style pork and half a roast pork with broccoli rabe and extra sharp provolone. Follow that up with a Bassett's waffle cone.
Then for supper go to Joe's @Frankford and Girard (although, you'd be better off at the original Torresdale Ave location) for a cheesesteak. My work here is done.

Delassandro's chops the living **** out of their meat (hiding something?) and John's Roast Pork is a glorified truck stop. Try not to get a mouthful of dirt if it's a little breezy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 09:27 AM

2,131 posts, read 1,065,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Steve's Prince of Steaks is indeed another occupant of that pantheon: I was actually an extra in a videotaping of an episode of the Food Network's "The Hungry Detective" that featured Steve's original location on Bustleton Avenue in the Northeast. The 16th Street outpost is just as good, but in the interest of getting you to explore as much of the city as you can, I'd recommend you make your way up to the original if you can. It's on the southbound side of Bustleton, a few blocks south of Cottman Avenue.
Been going there for 35 years ... Two blocks south of Cottman, NW corner of Bustleton and Saint Vincent. Best cheesefries ever. Ask for them them "well done."

Old 09-18-2017, 04:40 AM

6,210 posts, read 3,048,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned Max's on Germantown and Erie Aves.
There's also a Northeast outpost of Max's, at Five Points (where Cottman, Oxford and Rising Sun avenues cross). Like the Broad/Erie/Germantown original, it too is attached to a bar.

I bought a cheesesteak there while killing time transferring from the 70 to the 18. Awfully damn good, and huge (I bought the "half" rather than the "whole," and it was plenty for one person). Now to try the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I hate that everything has to close at 5pm in Reading terminal which makes no sense for a place located in one of the busiest areas of center city.
Official RTM closing time is 6 pm. The Amish merchants close at 3 pm Mondays and Tuesdays and 5 pm on the other days; they're closed completely on Sundays.

Most of the other RTM merchants stay open until 6, and the Down Home Diner stays open until 9 (it's cordoned off from the rest of the market after 6).

Take the issue up with RTM management (I no longer have the pipeline I had to it now that Paul Steinke's over at the Preservation Alliance, but I am acquainted with current GM Anuj Gupta, who came to the market from Mt. Airy USA). I would have killed to have the market stay open just one hour longer when I worked at Widener University and caught an R2 train back to Center City that arrived at Market East at 6:02 p.m.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:02 AM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
If I were entertaining an out-of-towner, I'd take a pit stop at Pat's and Geno's for the photo op, then head on down to Tony Luke's and split a pretty good cheesesteak and roast pork. I've heard that John's and DiNic's are even better, but I haven't tried their sandwiches yet, so I'm not going to be one of those people.

As far as the other big names go, Jim's is alright, but the convenient location makes it a somewhat compelling choice. Dalessandro's was disappointing: hefty, but lacking in flavor, probably because the meat is chopped too finely.

I tend to prefer whole slabs to chopped and frizzled, myself, but the meat needs to be a more marbled cut and higher quality (choice ribeye, as opposed to select sirloin). With that in mind, Steve's is my definite favorite, and I'm talking the original in the Great Northeast.

Speaking of the cheesesteak joint formerly known as Joe's (which I've yet to try), the owner was a Jewish guy, making his un-PC nickname even more peculiar. It's not entirely out of left field, though. A fair number of l ethnically Jewish people could be mistaken for partially East Asian (think Joseph Gordon-Levitt).

Old 09-18-2017, 06:14 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
If I were entertaining an out-of-towner, I'd take a pit stop at Pat's and Geno's for the photo op, then head on down to Tony Luke's and split a pretty good cheesesteak and roast pork. I've heard that John's and DiNic's are even better, but I haven't tried their sandwiches yet, so I'm not going to be one of those people.

As far as the other big names go, Jim's is alright, but the convenient location makes it a somewhat compelling choice. Dalessandro's was disappointing: hefty, but lacking in flavor, probably because the meat is chopped too finely.

I tend to prefer whole slabs to chopped and frizzled, myself, but the meat needs to be a more marbled cut and higher quality (choice ribeye, as opposed to select sirloin). With that in mind, Steve's is my definite favorite, and I'm talking the original in the Great Northeast.

Speaking of the cheesesteak joint formerly known as Joe's (which I've yet to try), the owner was a Jewish guy, making his un-PC nickname even more peculiar. It's not entirely out of left field, though. A fair number of l ethnically Jewish people could be mistaken for partially East Asian (think Joseph Gordon-Levitt).
Tony Luke's is almost as big a tourist trap now as Geno's and Pat's which is not a bad thing since people

"not from 'round here" have to go through non-tourist Philly to get there. But, I don't think the steaks are as good as they were.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
My favorite Dinics sandwich is the brisket wet (extra au jus).

Old 09-18-2017, 06:53 AM

7,473 posts, read 10,235,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Tony Luke's is almost as big a tourist trap now as Geno's and Pat's which is not a bad thing since people

"not from 'round here" have to go through non-tourist Philly to get there. But, I don't think the steaks are as good as they were.
It's been quite a while since I've had Tony Luke's, so maybe the quality has gone down.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:15 AM

10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It's been quite a while since I've had Tony Luke's, so maybe the quality has gone down.
They need line management now which I find very off-putting. Ugh...

Old 09-18-2017, 07:30 AM

6,224 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
shout out to Cleavers. They never disappoint.
I brought my New York friend there and we were both very pleased, they had great cheesesteaks. Its fairly new right?

Old 09-18-2017, 11:36 AM

4,995 posts, read 3,039,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I brought my New York friend there and we were both very pleased, they had great cheesesteaks. Its fairly new right?
Yea I think I might have opened Fall 2015ish? Idk it might have been longer now. But it's def one to suggest to someone just for the reason it has a wide variety of options and does the standard cheese steak very well. There's plenty of seating and they sell beer. Like unless you really want to go take a picture of Genos/Pats or want to rub elbows with some working class people on their lunch break at Johns on Snyder, Cleavers is an exccellent spot for someone staying downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or