Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:59 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times

Advertisements

There are and have certainly been a number of signage & wayfinding efforts set up for tourists in Center City over the years. Could they be better? Maybe!
They never did anything where they actually painted a line on the street. It's a fair comment by the OP that it might be a nice idea for Philly (even though I personally hate when cites all have the same attractions - I'm looking at you, duck boats..). No need for folks to get bent out of shape over a little constructive criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 03:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
There are and have certainly been a number of signage & wayfinding efforts set up for tourists in Center City over the years. Could they be better? Maybe!
The Signage is fine its the actual infrastructure in the middle of Center City thats the problem.

Old City is great. Parkway is terrific.Rittenhouse down to University City fabulous. The only problem is that dead zone(Market East) right in the middle of it all. Hopefully in 10-20 years as development continues in Market East the transition becomes more pleasant. But imo its a miracle Philadelphia has gotten as many tourist as it has given that digusting state of Market East for the past 50 years.

And Center City is huge in comparison to most downtowns which is more of hinderance than a help. Smaller,confined downtowns are so much easier to maintain and highlight. Ive always said Market + Chestnut should forget about retail and concentrate on residential and office. Let Walnut + the Number streets host the retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome
I'm looking at you, duck boats..). No need for folks to get bent out of shape over a little constructive criticism.
The Duck Boats seem to be a practical way of showing tourist a wider view of Center City Philadelphia. It is strange to me that for whatever reason I never see the Duck Boats or Phlash or any of the tourist busses around Rittenhouse or University City which is imo what you would want the tourist to see. But again this is Philadlephia so its not so strange.

South Street + Arch streets seems to be a hit with these tourist vehicles. WHY????? South Street has gone down hill.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
The planners of Philadlephia didnt do the tourist officials any favors over the years.

You have the stadiums in no-mans land. The zoo is on the otherside of the city. Please Touch Musuem for kids may as well be in Yosemite Park instead of Fairmount Park- its that far misplaced. The Aquarium is across the river. Coolest concert venue(The Tower) is in Upper Darby(egads) which has gone completely down the drain. Outdoor concert venue is in Camden. The Gateway from the Airport to Center City is pretty grotesque,mindboggingly outdated, and in need of major investment.

There is a reason that Philadlephia which is center point between 2 of the biggest tourist destinations (NYC+DC) is way down on the tourist list.

What a disaster.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:48 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Signage is fine its the actual infrastructure in the middle of Center City thats the problem.

Old City is great. Parkway is terrific.Rittenhouse down to University City fabulous. The only problem is that dead zone(Market East) right in the middle of it all. Hopefully in 10-20 years as development continues in Market East the transition becomes more pleasant. But imo its a miracle Philadelphia has gotten as many tourist as it has given that digusting state of Market East for the past 50 years.
I don't know how old you are but the decline of East Market is not as long ago as 50 years. It's newer than that. Fifty years ago, all of the department stores that the street was known for, Wanamaker's, Strawbridge and Clothier, Lits and Gimbels, were still very much alive. The Gallery didn't exist. The KoP shopping that you all know didn't exist in any real way. The original Cherry Hill Mall was pretty new and suburban malls in general were novelties. In Phila. decent shopping was focused on Center City in 1965-66 except for, maybe Suburban Sq, in Ardmore.

I'm little more optimistic about how long it will take to turn Market St around. Maybe 10 years. But less than 20.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:

And Center City is huge in comparison to most downtowns which is more of hinderance than a help. Smaller,confined downtowns are so much easier to maintain and highlight. Ive always said Market + Chestnut should forget about retail and concentrate on residential and office. Let Walnut + the Number streets host the retail.
Blocks of storefronts , on Chestnut, between 15th and 20th.....What would you put in those?

Old 03-26-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:

The Duck Boats seem to be a practical way of showing tourist a wider view of Center City Philadelphia. It is strange to me that for whatever reason I never see the Duck Boats or Phlash or any of the tourist busses around Rittenhouse or University City which is imo what you would want the tourist to see. But again this is Philadlephia so its not so strange.

South Street + Arch streets seems to be a hit with these tourist vehicles. WHY????? South Street has gone down hill.
The tourist busses go through Powelton Village/parts of Mantua and have stops at the Zoo. Granted it's not the heart of UC.

RR, do you actually know where some tourists come from????? A lot of them have not had many big city experiences and a place like South St is pretty eclectic and interesting. Yes, to us it's "Meh..." Arch St is about the Betsey Ross house and Ben Franklin's burial spot to most tourists. So, if I'm from East..., Nebraska I may not want to miss those.

I've said this before: you're a pretty big Philadelphia booster on the CD city vs city threads. But here, on the actual Phila board not so much.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
The planners of Philadlephia didnt do the tourist officials any favors over the years.

You have the stadiums in no-mans land. The zoo is on the otherside of the city. Please Touch Musuem for kids may as well be in Yosemite Park instead of Fairmount Park- its that far misplaced. The Aquarium is across the river. Coolest concert venue(The Tower) is in Upper Darby(egads) which has gone completely down the drain. Outdoor concert venue is in Camden. The Gateway from the Airport to Center City is pretty grotesque,mindboggingly outdated, and in need of major investment.

There is a reason that Philadlephia which is center point between 2 of the biggest tourist destinations (NYC+DC) is way down on the tourist list.

What a disaster.

The most historic zoo in the country should be moved according to you?! Lol. On a day like today(gorgeous) it's going to be awash with people like it is all spring, summer, fall. Other than traffic headaches/parking, it's probably the most popular family attraction in the entire Philly metro. Tourists don't seem to be complaining about where it is.

As to some other points were you even around the area when the battles about where the Phillies stadium were going on? The plans to put it at Broad and Spring Garden, Chinatown, or "above" the rail yard at 30th St.

No one cares about the Tower now. It's more about the Fillmore.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

Really, 50 years? So you're telling me that going to Lits & Gimbels in the 60s & 70s was a figment of my imagination? Good to know.

Where do you want the zoo moved to? The stadiums weren't wanted in Center City. Where do you want them? The PleaseTouch Museum started out next to WHYY. Where do you want it next?

The aquarium is in Camden because Trenton paid for it. Are you planning to convince Harrisburg to pay for a competing aquarium in Philadelphia? Good luck with that one.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:58 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
Personally, I like the fact that our many attractions are spread throughout Philadelphia County. It gives tourists an incentive to travel to parts of the city other than Center City/University City. The Zoo is fine where it is. People who visit the Zoo can also go and visit the Please Touch Museum and Fairmount Park.

The fact that things are spread out is also why I don't get why people think that they can conquer Philly in a day. Some people still consider Philly as a "layover" between New York and Washington, D.C. These are the people who will typically spend all of their time either in Center City, visiting Independence National Park, or running up the Art Museum steps like Rocky. There's literally so much to see outside of these three typical destinations. I can name many examples, such as: Fairmount Dam, historic Germantown, Main Street in Manayunk, shopping on Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill, Cira Green, Schuylkill Banks, and so much more.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Really, 50 years? So you're telling me that going to Lits & Gimbels in the 60s & 70s was a figment of my imagination? Good to know.

Where do you want the zoo moved to? The stadiums weren't wanted in Center City. Where do you want them? The PleaseTouch Museum started out next to WHYY. Where do you want it next?

The aquarium is in Camden because Trenton paid for it. Are you planning to convince Harrisburg to pay for a competing aquarium in Philadelphia? Good luck with that one.
I answered him as well. Younger people posting here don't know much about what Market St was like years ago. You and I are, likely, the only ones posting who have the actual experiences of what it was like 50 years.

The Please Touch Museum was on 21st, at Race, for years before the move to Memorial Hall. I'm not remembering it being next to WHYY. Before WHYY moved to 6th St, they were in the old WPVI(WFIL) studios at 46th and Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia