U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:00 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Personally, I like the fact that our many attractions are spread throughout Philadelphia County. It gives tourists an incentive to travel to parts of the city other than Center City/University City. The Zoo is fine where it is. People who visit the Zoo can also go and visit the Please Touch Museum and Fairmount Park.

The fact that things are spread out is also why I don't get why people think that they can conquer Philly in a day. Some people still consider Philly as a "layover" between New York and Washington, D.C. These are the people who will typically spend all of their time either in Center City, visiting Independence National Park, or running up the Art Museum steps like Rocky. There's literally so much to see outside of these three typical destinations. I can name many examples, such as: Fairmount Dam, historic Germantown, Main Street in Manayunk, shopping on Germantown Avenue in Chestnut Hill, Cira Green, Schuylkill Banks, and so much more.
Some of these tourists, I think, get beyond the traditional things.

Smith Memorial Playground opened yesterday. Hundreds of kids were there and I bet some weren't locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 11:29 AM

23,169 posts, read 28,586,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I answered him as well. Younger people posting here don't know much about what Market St was like years ago. You and I are, likely, the only ones posting who have the actual experiences of what it was like 50 years.

The Please Touch Museum was on 21st, at Race, for years before the move to Memorial Hall. I'm not remembering it being next to WHYY. Before WHYY moved to 6th St, they were in the old WPVI(WFIL) studios at 46th and Market.
When the Please Touch Museum opened it was next to WHYY on 6th St. I'm glad it's in Memorial Hall, one of the remnants of the Centennial. For years it was the home of the Fairmont Park police, though individuals were welcome to go there & see the interior.

I think that there are a couple of other boomers who come on here occasionally, but I think that they get frustrated. It's good for young people to have ideas, but I don't think that ripping down the city to make it shiny & new is the way to go. The 1st zoo in the US is close to Center City. It doesn't have to be in Center City. It's close enough. When it was floated to relocate the Phillies to or near Center City there was a furor. I'm, frankly, delighted that the Phillies have a ballpark & the Eagles have a stadium instead of sharing one facility.

I think that young people need to understand that their views will probably change as they age. when I was young, Lit Brothers was an old, weird building & the federal building was the future. Now, Lit Brothers is endearingly eccentric & the federal building is boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or