U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 06:26 PM

92 posts, read 166,886 times

Advertisements

My family will be traveling from Los Angeles to Philadelphia in September for a wedding and will be making a side trip to NYC while we're back east. We will probably fly into Newark airport due to airline preferences. So we need to get from Newark to Philadelphia, then from Philadelphia to Manhattan a few days later. There will be somewhere between 5-8 of us traveling together.

After checking train and bus schedules, plus the cab fare to get everyone to/from the terminals, (not to mention dragging luggage along the way) it seems like it will be better to take a private shuttle van directly to the hotels. The cost based on website quotes is about $300-$450 each leg, which seems high but somewhat comparable to 8 of us on the train/taxi (bus would be cheaper but seems like a huge hassle)

Does that plan seem reasonable? Does anyone have recommendations for specific car service companies in the area or other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 06:46 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,042,337 times
Well I will just say the cheapest is to use the combination of New Jersey Transit trains and SEPTA trains. $16.50 from Newark Liberty airport to Trenton Transporation station, $11 for children. Then in Trenton you go up the stairs and across to the other platform and get on a SEPTA train that is $9 to 30th street station. Which from there you can take the subway or there is a cab line there.

You can do the reverse to get to NYC. I visit my brother pretty often and take the subway to 30th street. Take SEPTA to Trenton for $9 and then it is $16.50 to get to Penn Station at 34th Street which connects to most of the subways in NYC.

SEPTA and NJT line up their trains in Trenton pretty well. Usually depart like 10-15 minutes after you arrive.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-26-2016 at 06:31 AM..

Old 03-23-2016, 06:58 PM

Thank you for the information- I would love to go the cheap route but we'll all have our luggage with us (50 pounds ++) so not sure if that is doable. It does sound more convenient than I thought it would be if we are just we can just walk across platforms and they run often enough. I was envisioning a scheduling nightmare. Helpful to know.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:12 PM

4,995 posts, read 3,042,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boystuition View Post
Thank you for the information- I would love to go the cheap route but we'll all have our luggage with us (50 pounds ++) so not sure if that is doable. It does sound more convenient than I thought it would be if we are just we can just walk across platforms and they run often enough. I was envisioning a scheduling nightmare. Helpful to know.
Yeah they both have schedulers:

New Jersey Transit

SEPTA | Trenton Line Regional Rail Schedule | Weekday | to Center City Philadelphia

Penn Station and 30th Street are two of the three most busy train stations in the country, so this isn't an out of the ordinary thing to do. Personally, if I was with a big group, I would probably do a shuttle from the airport to Philly and then try the trains as an adventure to NYC.

Hope you are planning to spend some time checking out Philly, we have plenty to do

Old 03-23-2016, 07:35 PM

1,245 posts, read 801,560 times
Rent a van at the airport, preferably a 8 seater van like a grand caravan. With a van, you can stay in a hotel that is cheaper and not close to public transport. You can also move around at night without having to worry about your safety.

For the New York trip, drive to Secaucas, it's next to the Lincoln tunnel. At the shopping center, parking is free and you can take the bus into Manhattan ($9 return or something like that). There's only one bus stop between Secaucus and Port Authority 8th Avenue station. There are also a lot of hotels at Secaucus at reasonable cost.

A car rental will give you flexibility, convenience, more choices and the least hassle. If you're going to Manhattan on Sunday, street parking is FREE! But you have to get into the city early (by 10 am, depending on the location). There are also early bird 7 am all day parking specials in Manhattan.

Quote:
My family will be traveling from Los Angeles to Philadelphia in September for a wedding and will be making a side trip to NYC while we're back east. We will probably fly into Newark airport due to airline preferences. So we need to get from Newark to Philadelphia, then from Philadelphia to Manhattan a few days later. There will be somewhere between 5-8 of us traveling together.

After checking train and bus schedules, plus the cab fare to get everyone to/from the terminals, (not to mention dragging luggage along the way) it seems like it will be better to take a private shuttle van directly to the hotels. The cost based on website quotes is about $300-$450 each leg, which seems high but somewhat comparable to 8 of us on the train/taxi (bus would be cheaper but seems like a huge hassle)

Does that plan seem reasonable? Does anyone have recommendations for specific car service companies in the area or other suggestions?

Old 03-24-2016, 12:20 PM

22,381 posts, read 33,167,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Rent a van at the airport, preferably a 8 seater van like a grand caravan. With a van, you can stay in a hotel that is cheaper and not close to public transport. You can also move around at night without having to worry about your safety.

For the New York trip, drive to Secaucas, it's next to the Lincoln tunnel. At the shopping center, parking is free and you can take the bus into Manhattan ($9 return or something like that). There's only one bus stop between Secaucus and Port Authority 8th Avenue station. There are also a lot of hotels at Secaucus at reasonable cost.

A car rental will give you flexibility, convenience, more choices and the least hassle. If you're going to Manhattan on Sunday, street parking is FREE! But you have to get into the city early (by 10 am, depending on the location). There are also early bird 7 am all day parking specials in Manhattan.
agree on the Van with that number of people.

Two other thoughts for going back into NYC (don't drive into Manhattan) are driving to Hamilton NJ Station (Just outside Trenton about 45 minutes from Philly and 65 minutes train ride to NYC) and taking NJT into the city (drops you off at NY Penn and Madison Sq Garden.

Or going to the Harrison PATH station (has parking attached) and PATH into Manhattan. Honestly Hamilton is easier and saves about 20 dollars in tolls and you will get a seat on the train with more central Manhattan arrival (many subway lines right there plus can easily walk to mot things in Midtown)

the rental should be less than 250 bucks for the van 300 tops

NJT rail is about 20 bucks round trip per person Hamilton parking is probably 15 bucks a day

the NJT to Septa connection is doable but painful IMHO as was referenced in an above post IMHO

Where are you staying in Philly as we may be able to help if parking is required to save you a few bucks as that can add up also

Old 03-24-2016, 12:50 PM

883 posts, read 531,129 times
One thing you didn't mention: will you have your luggage on your side trip to NYC? Meaning, will you have checked out of your Philly hotel and gone to NYC with the intention of leaving right from there to go back to the airport?

If not, then I'd suggest a combination of 1ondoner's and thedirtypirate's suggestions: When you fly in from LAX, rent a large van to drive down to Philly. For the trip to NYC, take SEPTA from Philly to Trenton and then NJT to NYC. Reverse back to Philly. Then you get your van when you check out of the hotel and drive back to Newark to fly home.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:42 PM

We are staying at the Sonesta in Philadelphia and at the Martinque in NY, 3-4 days each, and we will have our luggage with us for both of the legs of the trip-one reason I thought a private shuttle van would be better. We will then leave from NY to the Newark airport to come home.

Thank you all for the various suggestions on where to stop, park, and when/which public transportation. I don't think we'd have a problem driving around Manhattan but we'd rather not stress it.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 AM

22,381 posts, read 33,167,919 times
Quote:
We are staying at the Sonesta in Philadelphia and at the Martinque in NY, 3-4 days each, and we will have our luggage with us for both of the legs of the trip-one reason I thought a private shuttle van would be better. We will then leave from NY to the Newark airport to come home.

Thank you all for the various suggestions on where to stop, park, and when/which public transportation. I don't think we'd have a problem driving around Manhattan but we'd rather not stress it.

why not rent a van to Philly then drop off back at EWR and take NJT from the airport to Manhattan then

there is a garage at 15/16th and Vine about 4 blocks from the Sonesta that will be considerably cheaper for parking if you do rent the van

But for me I would drive from Newark airport to Philly (about 70-90 minutes depending on traffic) and then drop off back at EWR and take NJT into Manhattan from EWR

just my two cents, you dot need a car in either city once there

Old 03-26-2016, 06:38 AM

12,768 posts, read 28,914,075 times
For the Philly to NYC adventure, if you book far enough in advance, you can get great deals on Mega Bus.megabus.com | Low Cost Bus Tickets From $1 or Bolt https://www.boltbus.com/wherewetravel.aspx

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or