U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-06-2016, 08:53 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1947 View Post
This is around 52nd and Girard avenue /Area. I use to call that spot the strip. This was over the summer time, so the activity can be a little heavy during the summer months. I am born and raised Philadelphia and my heart sinks when I go home. It sure isn't the city of brotherly love anymore.


KMG1947
I'm quite familiar with that area so I see what you mean. But it's not quite fair to condemn all of W. Philly since big chunks are mostly fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2016, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Around
22 posts, read 16,169 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm quite familiar with that area so I see what you mean. But it's not quite fair to condemn all of W. Philly since big chunks are mostly fine.
I honestly didn't mean any harm. It's just that growing up there in the 80s as a kid it was awesome, and now going home to visit. It hurts my feelings to see the change that's all I am saying, I should have reworded it differently. I am a product of Philadelphia PA, so I am not bashing at all. I will forever go home to see my family. I actually can't wait to get back home to go over to Jim's for a Steak sandwich..Oh mercy I am jonesssssing....big time.

Take Care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 05:22 PM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1947 View Post
I honestly didn't mean any harm. It's just that growing up there in the 80s as a kid it was awesome, and now going home to visit. It hurts my feelings to see the change that's all I am saying, I should have reworded it differently. I am a product of Philadelphia PA, so I am not bashing at all. I will forever go home to see my family. I actually can't wait to get back home to go over to Jim's for a Steak sandwich..Oh mercy I am jonesssssing....big time.

Take Care.
Most posting here don't know that the original Jim's is located on 62nd St near Girard. They also probably think that Pat's Steaks started in S. Philly. It didn't. It started in Strawberry Mansion.

I'm a native Philadelphian too. My paternal grandparents moved to Phila., from Baltimore, in 1916 when my Dad was an infant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Around
22 posts, read 16,169 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Most posting here don't know that the original Jim's is located on 62nd St near Girard. They also probably think that Pat's Steaks started in S. Philly. It didn't. It started in Strawberry Mansion.

I'm a native Philadelphian too. My paternal grandparents moved to Phila., from Baltimore, in 1916 when my Dad was an infant.
Wow, that's amazing history. My grandparents were in Philadelphia since 1930. My grandmother is Bi-racial and was living in the South when her mother fled up North to Philadelphia for a better life. I absolutely love going to Jim's never been a Geno's or Pat's steak fan. There so many other spots in Philly with great hoagies n steak. My grandmother because of her memories of the South will not visit me here in the South. She is 89.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 07:56 PM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1947 View Post
Wow, that's amazing history. My grandparents were in Philadelphia since 1930. My grandmother is Bi-racial and was living in the South when her mother fled up North to Philadelphia for a better life. I absolutely love going to Jim's never been a Geno's or Pat's steak fan. There so many other spots in Philly with great hoagies n steak. My grandmother because of her memories of the South will not visit me here in the South. She is 89.
Wildly I saw another post of yours on another CD board and you mentioned Birmingham, AL. One of my nieces lives there and I'm going there to visit in about a month. I've never experienced any problems(I'm mixed race but I identify as AA)in the South but since I grew up during the 50s and 60s the fight for civil rights is the thing I'm always thinking about when I'm there. George Wallace yelling, "Segregation now, Segregation tomorrow, Segregation Forever" for instance will never leave my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Around
22 posts, read 16,169 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Wildly I saw another post of yours on another CD board and you mentioned Birmingham, AL. One of my nieces lives there and I'm going there to visit in about a month. I've never experienced any problems(I'm mixed race but I identify as AA)in the South but since I grew up during the 50s and 60s the fight for civil rights is the thing I'm always thinking about when I'm there. George Wallace yelling, "Segregation now, Segregation tomorrow, Segregation Forever" for instance will never leave my head.
That statement alone rings bells through the South and I the heads of many who are still alive and living from the Jim Crow Era. The stigma of that time still exist in some places down here as well. Overall...you will love Birmingham great food and culture of their own. My non profit organization takes under privileged youth to the outskirts of Birmingham on a youth retreat every year. I absolutely love it. Some of the children are from the trailer parks and urban communities. I service AL LA & MS. That is my division. I have learned so much living here. I been here now going on 15 yrs this August and lived in outskirts of Miami for 5yrs. A total of almost 20 years. I left Philadelphia in 1997. My old man is getting up age and I want to be closer to him and my grandmother. Not sure if you have a itinerary planned out, but I would love to give you some fun planners.... Wow..your going to really like it when you come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 09:07 PM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1947 View Post
That statement alone rings bells through the South and I the heads of many who are still alive and living from the Jim Crow Era. The stigma of that time still exist in some places down here as well. Overall...you will love Birmingham great food and culture of their own. My non profit organization takes under privileged youth to the outskirts of Birmingham on a youth retreat every year. I absolutely love it. Some of the children are from the trailer parks and urban communities. I service AL LA & MS. That is my division. I have learned so much living here. I been here now going on 15 yrs this August and lived in outskirts of Miami for 5yrs. A total of almost 20 years. I left Philadelphia in 1997. My old man is getting up age and I want to be closer to him and my grandmother. Not sure if you have a itinerary planned out, but I would love to give you some fun planners.... Wow..your going to really like it when you come.
I've been to Birmingham a bunch of times so I know what's there. I'm hoping to see more revival downtown this time; my last visit was in 2014. There were some terrific buildings downtown that seemed to be too neglected.

I understand you being upset about your old Phila. neighborhood but do you ever go to the places that have seen growth and revival? I mean the neighborhoods we always talk about on this board besides Center City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top