U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 09:27 AM

1,243 posts, read 799,046 times

Advertisements

For most people living in a big city, a car is cost prohibitive. But they like to think that they don't need a car. For the elderly, it's a different ball game, especially if they don't have to commute to work. I don't think commuting by public transport to work is fun when one is old.

A car allows one to do much more than if one relies on public transport. Another thing, public transport is not cheap and it's limited. Public transport is also time consuming, especially if one has a long commute or has to transfer. For me, it's not the best use of my time.

I guess if one wants to live in the city, not having a car is one of the things they should be willing to give up. But it comes at a cost too. Just because one is not paying money does not mean there is no cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
For suburbanites it can be very different, obviously. I grew up in a car culture, in suburbia, and got my license just as soon as I could when I was 16.

Other than living in the a part of the city where all I need is a short walk or septa ride away, I gave up my car before someone felt it necessary to tell me, because of aging, that I needed to stop driving. It's a big issue for some seniors. I made the decision(to stop driving) before someone else got involved. The money I was spending on garage parking, gas and maintenance is also a plus for me.

I drove for 50 years. That's more than enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 09:43 AM

10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
For most people living in a big city, a car is cost prohibitive. But they like to think that they don't need a car. For the elderly, it's a different ball game, especially if they don't have to commute to work. I don't think commuting by public transport to work is fun when one is old.

A car allows one to do much more than if one relies on public transport. Another thing, public transport is not cheap and it's limited. Public transport is also time consuming, especially if one has a long commute or has to transfer. For me, it's not the best use of my time.

I guess if one wants to live in the city, not having a car is one of the things they should be willing to give up. But it comes at a cost too. Just because one is not paying money does not mean there is no cost.
My sister is 72. She still works full time. Technically she's elderly but in better health than a lot of 50 something Boomers. She never used her car, when she had one, to commute. She loves Septa. I know that's an impossible idea for you to wrap your brain around. She rides free now (so do I) on Septa except wrt regional rail where it's $1.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,306 posts, read 2,289,730 times
Quote:
My sister is 72. She still works full time. Technically she's elderly but in better health than a lot of 50 something Boomers. She never used her car, when she had one, to commute. She loves Septa. I know that's an impossible idea for you to wrap your brain around. She rides free now (so do I) on Septa except wrt regional rail where it's $1.
WOW!
I did not know you ride free after certain age!
I saw that in regional train on the way to work that you have to pay $1. But I did not know it is free otherwise.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:06 AM

1,243 posts, read 799,046 times
To each, their own. It all depends on the lifestyle one chooses to live. Someone with a car has a different lifestyle, to those without a car. For my kind of lifestyle, public transportation is completely out of the question.

Quote:

Old 03-29-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
WOW!
I did not know you ride free after certain age!
I saw that in regional train on the way to work that you have to pay $1. But I did not know it is free otherwise.
The PA Lottery foots the bill wrt seniors(65+)using septa. One needs to get a senior transit card.

Sure there was a bit more freedom using my car but I'm no longer spending on garage parking, gas, insurance, yearly PA registration fees, PA inspections, and vehicle maintenance.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:12 AM

Quote:
To each, their own. It all depends on the lifestyle one chooses to live. Someone with a car has a different lifestyle, to those without a car. For my kind of lifestyle, public transportation is completely out of the question.
I know that. I drove for years. I grew up when the thirst for driving, and the independence it gave you, was at an extremely high level. You're assuming I disliked driving; I didn't. It just doesn't make sense to continue.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:54 AM

54 posts, read 58,738 times
The city buses are pretty decent. Buses in the suburbs are not and that makes a huge difference

Old 03-30-2016, 08:14 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,306 posts, read 2,289,730 times
Quote:
Another thing to consider is how suck it is to park your car in the city,
Mind that I moved from Miami where people are really into cars and the cars are nicer and more well-maintained there.
I came here bringing my AUDI TT and Honda Accord.
Within the second year I sold the AUDI TT because parking her on the street side gave her some scratches and I could not see why I would need 2 cars.
Now 5 years later, I do not even understand why I keep the Accord. I have not used it forever.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:57 PM

1,371 posts, read 781,463 times
I envy all of you who have been able to give up your car and just use SEPTA. When I worked in the city, I almost never touched my car because I could easily get anywhere I wanted and needed to be by SEPTA. I usually only drove once a week to the grocery store so I could get everything at once. Other then that, my car just sat there. I seriously contemplated getting rid of it until I was forced to take a job in the suburbs with no realistic train connection.

Let me tell you, it sucks. Gas, insurance, tolls, the aggravation of driving on I-95 every day is just miserable. I used to be able to read or be productive on my commute on the train, and now I'm just stuck staring at slow moving cars and that New Jersey a*hole that always seems to cut me off in his BMW for 40 minutes each way.

Most of the places you would need and want to go are covered by subway, trolley, or at worst a bus. Living car free is certainly possible in many areas, especially Center City, South Philly, West Philly, and certain parts of North Philly.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:35 PM

2,913 posts, read 4,726,196 times
Quote:
The PA Lottery foots the bill wrt seniors(65+)using septa. One needs to get a senior transit card.
You can get the senior discount even without a senior transit card. Just show a PA license/state ID card, Medicare card, or Railroad Retirement card.

SEPTA | Seniors Ride Transit Free on SEPTA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or