U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM
 
8 posts, read 6,649 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am moving to Philly soon. I can get to work in Delaware via SEPTA trains. BUT I need to know what part of Philly I can live in without a car. And if I can live in some parts without a car, how much rent would i be looking at? Studio is what I'd need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2016, 11:39 AM
 
54 posts, read 58,738 times
Reputation: 16
Just live anywhere near the subway lines that can get you to center city in a reasonable amount of time. That's probably the only way to have a reasonable commute to delaware since it takes 1+ hours on the train
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 AM
 
8 posts, read 6,649 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdiKony View Post
Just live anywhere near the subway lines that can get you to center city in a reasonable amount of time. That's probably the only way to have a reasonable commute to delaware since it takes 1+ hours on the train
The part of Delaware that I need to commute to takes around 20-45 minutes depending what train I use. My worry is not about getting to Delaware. It's about trying to live my life nicely in Philly without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 AM
 
Location: The City
22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Reputation: 7799
What kind of area do you want to live in, also what kind of rent are you willing to pay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 07:34 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinF View Post
The part of Delaware that I need to commute to takes around 20-45 minutes depending what train I use. My worry is not about getting to Delaware. It's about trying to live my life nicely in Philly without a car.
I sold my car almost a year ago. Don't miss it at all. Luckily I can walk or take septa to most things I need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 07:51 AM
 
544 posts, read 462,414 times
Reputation: 555
Yes you can live in Philly comfortably without a car. I did it for six+ years when I lived in south philly and never had any issues. I agree that it is best to live by the BSL or the MFL if possible. I live in East Mt. Airy now and own a car again though I could probably get by ok without it though I think it would be significantly more difficult out here. Just be strategic about where you live and you should be fine.


It is hard to recommend a specific neighborhood without knowing your budget and how much space you want. There are walkable areas in some of the most and least desirable parts of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,243 posts, read 799,046 times
Reputation: 736
I'm yet to figure out why anyone would not want to have a car, if one can afford a car. Actually, the more cars one can afford, the better. I believe in having more than one car for the same reason as having more than one pair of shoes. A car is a utility.

A car allows one to do more with their time. It's more of a necessity than a convenience. Not having a car limits one to where they can live and where they can go.

I can understand those living and working in Center City not having a car but not someone who has to commute from the city. I have colleagues who don't have cars (because they don't want to own a car!) and they are always rushing out in the evening to catch the train. I can assume it's the same when they are coming to work. And when the weather sucks, they need a ride to the train station, which means they are inconveniencing their colleagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 08:49 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I'm yet to figure out why anyone would not want to have a car, if one can afford a car. Actually, the more cars one can afford, the better. I believe in having more than one car for the same reason as having more than one pair of shoes. A car is a utility.

A car allows one to do more with their time. It's more of a necessity than a convenience. Not having a car limits one to where they can live and where they can go.

I can understand those living and working in Center City not having a car but not someone who has to commute from the city. I have colleagues who don't have cars (because they don't want to own a car!) and they are always rushing out in the evening to catch the train. I can assume it's the same when they are coming to work. And when the weather sucks, they need a ride to the train station, which means they are inconveniencing their colleagues.
For suburbanites it can be very different, obviously. I grew up in a car culture, in suburbia, and got my license just as soon as I could when I was 16.

Other than living in the a part of the city where all I need is a short walk or septa ride away, I gave up my car before someone felt it necessary to tell me, because of aging, that I needed to stop driving. It's a big issue for some seniors. I made the decision(to stop driving) before someone else got involved. The money I was spending on garage parking, gas and maintenance is also a plus for me.

I drove for 50 years. That's more than enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 08:49 AM
 
Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,306 posts, read 2,289,730 times
Reputation: 2599
I live in Philly and the last time I used my car was 2 years ago.
I live in Center City.
It is much more convenient to walk, take bus / train to go everywhere.
I think most of people who live in Center City has ditched cars long time ago.

Even if you live close (i.e. walkable) to the SEPTA regional rail station in the burb, you can survive.
If you don't have car(s) you can always get a zipcar membership which charge you using their cars by hour. It is more convenient that way.
For a plus, I am healthier now.

When I first moved from Miami 5 years ago, my cholesterol (the bad cholesterol level) was high. Sometimes I had a tingle on my left thigh. Those cuban sandwich I ate all the time down there did not help.
Anyway five years later, the cholesterol level had gone down to a normal level. The tingling sensation is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2016, 08:53 AM
 
10,273 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I live in Philly and the last time I used my car was 2 years ago.
I live in Center City.
It is much more convenient to walk, take bus / train to go everywhere.
I think most of people who live in Center City has ditched cars long time ago.

Even if you live close (i.e. walkable) to the SEPTA regional rail station in the burb, you can survive.
If you don't have car you can always get a zipcar membership which charge you using the car by hour. It is more convenient that way.
Bingo.

Once I retired, I found out pretty quickly how little I actually needed my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top