U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2016, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,241 posts, read 798,194 times
Reputation: 731

Advertisements

I just moved here last year. Some governor's are well known across the country. You don't have to vote to know who the active politicians are. The fact that I don't know who the Governor or Senators are should tell you that they may not doing anything worthwhile. I read the Philly.com website everyday. I also have Philadelphia tailored news on my tablet which I read several times a week.

Regarding medicine, I can tell you Philly is not well known outside the region for medicine. CHOP is highly rated but if you go to other cities, their medical facilities are very visible. For example, when you land in Houston, you'd think the main industry is hospitals. You don't get that feeling in Philly.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Institutionally, and as an example of the importance of Phila. medicine, CHOP is one of the finest pediatric facilities in the world. What exactly matches it in Raleigh-Durham? Your statement also implies that you have no idea that American medicine was essentially created in Philadelphia. Penn's Perelman School of Medicine was the first medical school in the American colonies and is still one of the finest medical schools in the country. Pennsylvania Hospital was the first hospital in the country.

So you don't vote in elections it seems. But, imo, there's no excuse for an educated guy like you not knowing who the PA governor is or who the PA senators are. Pat Toomey may lose in November and you can bet your ass Republicans care whether he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2016, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
2,377 posts, read 2,695,391 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
This may be too out in left field for people, but I believe sometime in the next 20 years I think we'll see Camden showing signs of gentrification.
If camden gentrified I'd attribute that to simply every thing every where is getting better. Camden is mostly just empty lots, there just isn't any reason to be the first to build there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 08:45 AM
 
10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I just moved here last year. Some governor's are well known across the country. You don't have to vote to know who the active politicians are. The fact that I don't know who the Governor or Senators are should tell you that they may not doing anything worthwhile. I read the Philly.com website everyday. I also have Philadelphia tailored news on my tablet which I read several times a week.

Regarding medicine, I can tell you Philly is not well known outside the region for medicine. CHOP is highly rated but if you go to other cities, their medical facilities are very visible. For example, when you land in Houston, you'd think the main industry is hospitals. You don't get that feeling in Philly.
I'm a political junkie although I didn't major in politcal science or take any such courses in college. It's just natural for me to take note of the political lansdscape no matter where it is or whether it directly involves me.
Most Senators don't have national profiles so....

I think if you were directly involved in the national medical community... you're not, right?... you might know more about how important Philadelphia is to that community. I have to check it but there are huge numbers of Penn med(MDs, PhDs)alums scattered through out the country. If you are not privy to Penn alum publications(all of them)you're not going to really see that. There are 5 medical schools in Philadelphia and
certainly some of the graduates ended up in Houston.

Philly.com, unfortunately, reflects how bad journalism is in the area. The Inquirer is just awful. It's gone through multiple owners in about a decade). It's sadly just a shadow of what it was when it was almost on the same level of, say, The LA Times or Wash. Post. winning several Pulitzer Prizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 10:37 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,224 posts, read 5,562,899 times
Reputation: 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I just moved here last year. Some governor's are well known across the country. You don't have to vote to know who the active politicians are. The fact that I don't know who the Governor or Senators are should tell you that they may not doing anything worthwhile. I read the Philly.com website everyday. I also have Philadelphia tailored news on my tablet which I read several times a week.

Regarding medicine, I can tell you Philly is not well known outside the region for medicine. CHOP is highly rated but if you go to other cities, their medical facilities are very visible. For example, when you land in Houston, you'd think the main industry is hospitals. You don't get that feeling in Philly.
I have met many many people who have traveled to Philadelphia from all over the country and the world for positions and training at Philadelphia's hospitals. Highly regarded and anyone in the medical community or an educated and in touch individual would know Philadelphia is near the top in the country for hospitals and med schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,743 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Reputation: 4700
All it takes is a quick Google search to figure out the current governor/senators for any state. Not to mention, I've personally seen plenty of front-and-center articles on Philly.com, particularly surrounding ongoing the budget fiasco and general 2016 election, that have clearly referenced elected officials in Pennsylvania. These names are hard to miss.

In addition, Philly is most definitely one of the most robust medical research/life science hubs in the US, based on actual facts and views of practitioners:

Best life sciences cities (factoring Health IT, medical jobs)MedCity News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,241 posts, read 798,194 times
Reputation: 731
I'm not trying to figure out who the elected officials are. All I'm saying they don't seem to do anything newsworthy to get them in the news.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
All it takes is a quick Google search to figure out the current governor/senators for any state. Not to mention, I've personally seen plenty of front-and-center articles on Philly.com, particularly surrounding ongoing the budget fiasco and general 2016 election, that have clearly referenced elected officials in Pennsylvania. These names are hard to miss.

In addition, Philly is most definitely one of the most robust medical research/life science hubs in the US, based on actual facts and views of practitioners:

Best life sciences cities (factoring Health IT, medical jobs)MedCity News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2016, 07:11 PM
 
609 posts, read 456,927 times
Reputation: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
I just moved here last year. Some governor's are well known across the country. You don't have to vote to know who the active politicians are. The fact that I don't know who the Governor or Senators are should tell you that they may not doing anything worthwhile. I read the Philly.com website everyday. I also have Philadelphia tailored news on my tablet which I read several times a week.

Regarding medicine, I can tell you Philly is not well known outside the region for medicine. CHOP is highly rated but if you go to other cities, their medical facilities are very visible. For example, when you land in Houston, you'd think the main industry is hospitals. You don't get that feeling in Philly.
I do business with hospitals and contract research organizations (clinical trials). Philadelphia is internationally renown for medicine. Houston is as well. Philadelphia doesn't have the kind of immense concentration of medical facilities in one location as the Texas Medical Center in Houston, but trust me the city is very well known. Philadelphia is also a US top 10 (#6) biopharma cluster ahead of RDU (#8) BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 07:41 AM
 
10,265 posts, read 5,934,396 times
Reputation: 3628
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I have met many many people who have traveled to Philadelphia from all over the country and the world for positions and training at Philadelphia's hospitals. Highly regarded and anyone in the medical community or an educated and in touch individual would know Philadelphia is near the top in the country for hospitals and med schools.
I was frankly baffled by the idea/remark that the meds part of the Philly metro work base was small potatoes. I mean, wtf????

The "physical plant" of PennMed and CHOP is huge in W. Philly/ CC. There's all the stuff both occupy in the UC Sciences Center between 34th and 38th on Market. All the Penn campus places PennMed(med school/HUP) occupies south of the Penn Quad(Spruce St) between 37th and 34th Sts. The entire area that used to house Phila. General Hospital, north and south of Civic Center Blvd. Plus now across CC Blvd along with CHOP and its future expansion across the river.

Penn Presbyterian at 38 th and Powelton. PA Hospital in Wash. West. Also PennMed staff in Centre Sq at 15th and Market. I think there's also PennMed staff in the Wanamaker Bldg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Dude...., I'm right here
1,241 posts, read 798,194 times
Reputation: 731
Have you been to Houston? Sometimes it's important to have a wider perspective. You've lived in Philly, probably all your life, so I see things very differently from you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I was frankly baffled by the idea/remark that the meds part of the Philly metro work base was small potatoes. I mean, wtf????

The "physical plant" of PennMed and CHOP is huge in W. Philly/ CC. There's all the stuff both occupy in the UC Sciences Center between 34th and 38th on Market. All the Penn campus places PennMed(med school/HUP) occupies south of the Penn Quad(Spruce St) between 37th and 34th Sts. The entire area that used to house Phila. General Hospital, north and south of Civic Center Blvd. Plus now across CC Blvd along with CHOP and its future expansion across the river.

Penn Presbyterian at 38 th and Powelton. PA Hospital in Wash. West. Also PennMed staff in Centre Sq at 15th and Market. I think there's also PennMed staff in the Wanamaker Bldg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2016, 08:25 AM
 
609 posts, read 456,927 times
Reputation: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I was frankly baffled by the idea/remark that the meds part of the Philly metro work base was small potatoes. I mean, wtf????

The "physical plant" of PennMed and CHOP is huge in W. Philly/ CC. There's all the stuff both occupy in the UC Sciences Center between 34th and 38th on Market. All the Penn campus places PennMed(med school/HUP) occupies south of the Penn Quad(Spruce St) between 37th and 34th Sts. The entire area that used to house Phila. General Hospital, north and south of Civic Center Blvd. Plus now across CC Blvd along with CHOP and its future expansion across the river.

Penn Presbyterian at 38 th and Powelton. PA Hospital in Wash. West. Also PennMed staff in Centre Sq at 15th and Market. I think there's also PennMed staff in the Wanamaker Bldg.
You're correct that Philadelphia is a major player in medicine and life sciences. No one who knows either industry would say otherwise. What is different between Philadelphia and Houston is the physical scale of the Texas Medical Center and the CHOP / Penn campus. Texas Medical Center is the largest medical complex in the world. You'd have to have something like all of Penn's hospitals, CHOP, the VA and Jeff, plus maybe Temple on a single contiguous campus to match the scale of TMC. That said the size of the TX Med Ctr does not make Houston a more important location for medicine or life sciences than Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top