Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:51 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
There are only 8 Fortune 500 companies left in the Philadelphia metro area (including 1 in NJ), only 2 of which are in the Fortune 200. That's only 1 more than Nashville, a metro area less than a third the size, and 2 less than St Louis, a metro area that's half the size. By contrast, Atlanta has 18, Dallas has 23, Houston has 25. I think Philly is a great place to live, and wish I could have stayed there, but you have to recognize that this is a huge problem that doesn't bode well for the future of the area.
I thought we had 10 between SEPA, SJ, and NoDE?

AmerisourceBergen (16)
Comcast (43)
DuPont (87)
Aramark (207)
Lincoln National (223)
Universal Health Services Inc. (324)
Campbell Soup (342)
UGI (349)
Navient (463)

Then you add in Fortune 1000, the list of several large private companies headquartered in the region, plus the tremendous amount of law firms, universities, energy industry, and the healthcare industry I think the region is doing just fine.

Certainly SEPA is holding its weight up against the rest of the nation just fine.

Philadelphia as a city needs a few more big players to join the fun, but that is unlikely in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 08:32 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
Is everyone aware that there are currently proposals to change Philly's tax structure?

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...se-philly.html

Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Is everyone aware that there are currently proposals to change Philly's tax structure?

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...se-philly.html
Yes.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:40 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes.
Damn Kenney is going after the wage and business taxes? This city could be seriously competitive if those were lowered. I guess higher realestate taxes will make realestate costs go up so people better buy while they can.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:44 PM

283 posts, read 463,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Damn Kenney is going after the wage and business taxes? This city could be seriously competitive if those were lowered. I guess higher realestate taxes will make realestate costs go up so people better buy while they can.
The bill would allow commercial property to be taxed at 15% higher than residential property, so the real estate tax increase wouldn't fall on residents, it would fall on commercial landlords, like Brandywine for example. The commercial landlords can then either accept lower profits or pass on the cost to tenants via higher rents (which are already comparatively low). So it's not that the businesses would be paying less necessarily, but their employees would pay less in wage taxes.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
No, you miss read it. He wants to "reduce wage and business taxes in tandem with an increase in commercial real estate taxes".

Old 04-06-2016, 10:41 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times
Comcast which is HQ'd right here in Philly knows where to best locate their staff.

Quote:
Other new Comcast call centers are located in Spokane, Wash.; Tucson, Ariz., and Albuquerque, N.M.
Comcast adds 550-employee call center in S.C. as it seeks to boost customer ratings

I would classify Albuquerque as a sleepy town like the ones in the old Western movies and yet Comcast sees it fit to open a call center in that part of the world.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:51 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Comcast which is HQ'd right here in Philly knows where to best locate their staff.

Comcast adds 550-employee call center in S.C. as it seeks to boost customer ratings

I would classify Albuquerque as a sleepy town like the ones in the old Western movies and yet Comcast sees it fit to open a call center in that part of the world.

You can't win em all. Once the new tower is finished in Philadelphia, there will be several hundred new jobs mostly in the technology and research sector added to the city, higher paying and more prestige for the city in the technology and entertainment industries.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post

It's obvious why. They don't have to actually pay them anything meaning they can keep the "popular" corporate "low wage" model with these workers in these locations.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You can't win em all. Once the new tower is finished in Philadelphia, there will be several hundred new jobs mostly in the technology and research sector added to the city, higher paying and more prestige for the city in the technology and entertainment industries.
Well, Universal may have a bomb or two(I.e the pointless Huntsman Winter's Tale) coming up, but it may not affect their profits very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia