U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 AM

54 posts, read 77,299 times

Advertisements

I guess I can't afford the 'burbs right now - no scratch that. I KNOW I can't lol!

Looking at Northeast Phila because I hear it's a better area for families with children. We cannot apply for charter until we move, and with chances of acceptance being slim to none I have to make sure my kids will get a good education whether they get into a top charter or not.

Here I go again...

When are you moving? Probably summer before school begins
Where are you coming from? Delco
Why are you moving? Job relo to Princeton, NJ
Where will you be working? Princeton
Have you been here yet? Visit Philly alot

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? --
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I would like a 3 bedroom with a basement and a yard (3 sons). Preferably not more than $1300 per month (less would be great but I don't want to compromise safety or education).
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk up

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 3 boys (going to 5th grade, going to 2nd grade, and an almost 2 year old).
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public or charter
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes
Are you keeping a car? Yes, 2
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Doesn't matter

What do you want to be closest to?
Work 3
Shopping 4
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) 2
Nightlife 5
Train or subway stations 6
**Good schools** 1

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We're young, we're black, we have kids. As long as that's accepted, we don't care

Coke or Pepsi? Lemonade please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 08:18 AM

221 posts, read 320,736 times
As far as I know, Anne Frank and Joseph Greenberg in Bustleton/Pine Valley (19115) are the two most highly regarded public elementary schools in the Northeast. Some of my neighbors' kids go to Fox Chase school and they don't seem to have too many complaints. I've heard/read some good things about Rhawnhurst elementary and John Hancock in Morrell Park but I don't have any first hand experience. In general, people's opinions seem to be that most of the public schools arnt great, even in the Northeast.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:32 AM

1,245 posts, read 801,560 times
Zillow website allows one to search for rental homes based on great schools rating. Just go to the rent tab and use the schools filter option. I've seen guys use the terms such as solid, highly rated, good schools, etc for schools that are rated poorly by greatschools.

Zillow also shows the school district boundaries. And also has a crime map for the area.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snwmn5 View Post
As far as I know, Anne Frank and Joseph Greenberg in Bustleton/Pine Valley (19115) are the two most highly regarded public elementary schools in the Northeast. Some of my neighbors' kids go to Fox Chase school and they don't seem to have too many complaints. I've heard/read some good things about Rhawnhurst elementary and John Hancock in Morrell Park but I don't have any first hand experience. In general, people's opinions seem to be that most of the public schools arnt great, even in the Northeast.
Yeah, that's the feeling I was getting. School ratings on different websites are so varying so I was confused.... I guess the answer is just don't do it...

Old 03-31-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Zillow website allows one to search for rental homes based on great schools rating. Just go to the rent tab and use the schools filter option. I've seen guys use the terms such as solid, highly rated, good schools, etc for schools that are rated poorly by greatschools.

Zillow also shows the school district boundaries. And also has a crime map for the area.
Yeah, doesn't look too good. Thanks for answering

Old 03-31-2016, 11:12 AM

1,245 posts, read 801,560 times
There are some websites which rate schools according to local reviews rather than a standardized metric. Great schools is independent of local reviewers who tend to be subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_melodies View Post
Yeah, that's the feeling I was getting. School ratings on different websites are so varying so I was confused.... I guess the answer is just don't do it...

Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 PM

2,856 posts, read 2,068,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_melodies View Post
Yeah, doesn't look too good. Thanks for answering
Just a few days ago you were inquiring about Bristol Township schools. I have to believe they are better then NE Philly. How about Bensalem? Have you looked there? They have to be better then NE Philly as well.

Old 04-01-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Just a few days ago you were inquiring about Bristol Township schools. I have to believe they are better then NE Philly. How about Bensalem? Have you looked there? They have to be better then NE Philly as well.
I was looking in the entire Bucks county area, but I didn't really see anything under $1500 (and I want to stay under $1300, which is proving impossible). Bristol had some, but after looking at reviews of the schools there, I decided it probably wasn't a good idea.

Bensalem had nothing in my price range, all were a couple hundred dollars over. I want to be able to pay my bills on my own like I am now, and when my husband starts bringing money in we can save for a home, kids' college funds, etc...

I was hoping that there was somewhere in NE Philly that would suffice, but I couldn't get a clear picture on the schools in the far NE from the posts on this site. Just that all Philly schools are bad; ok - there aren't ANY good ones? I thought there had to be something, but it just is what it is. I don't want to risk it with my boys, so I'll just leave it be.

FWIW, I make a little over $60K and I thought I was doing well. It seems we are still "low to moderate income" due to family size (5). Without any car or credit card payments, and just paying for the essentials (housing, utilities, food (for a grown man and growing boys), gas, car maintenance (which will drain me if I'm driving over 2 hours daily in a 2001 Volvo), Cricket Wireless cell phones, health insurance... Over $1300 will stretch me too thin. Can't afford to be unemployed, but I don't know if I can afford to take this position either....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or